15 km Heidelberg roof training route

Shawn

Forum Member
Reaction score
Decided to try the 15km route that is posted under routes,

Camera died after a few hours and second battery wasnt charged, only got the first few km's
Difficult finding the first part of the route due to chopped down trees

Found it tough on the climbs, was out of my comfort zone

Judge

Forum Member
Reaction score
nice route that, good footage there Shawn

NUMSCH

Former Duchess of Fourways
Reaction score
Battery died after a few hours, only got the first few km's. Yoh.

Shawn

Forum Member
Reaction score
I have a route of 19km on gps which is my normal route, busy adding on to it as i want to get it up to 30 km with varied type of riding

Shawn

Forum Member
Reaction score
Battery died after a few hours, only got the first few km's. Yoh.
Took about 3.5 hours to do 95% of the route, was too tired to do the last climb.

Too old and unfit

Dean_E232

ClutchPump
Reaction score
I have a route of 19km on gps which is my normal route, busy adding on to it as i want to get it up to 30 km with varied type of riding
I am certain Ian will accommodate you and take you on a guided 3 hour 30km loop with varied terrain when you ready - he has a few no help zones too . He also does not charge for his expertise and services .

Tman21

Happily Married
Reaction score
Shawn, not sure how familiar you are with Heidelberg but if you stretch your imagination a bit you can even do a 50km ride.

If you are training big time to get fit or race (as you say roof training), some days its also good to switch off the GPS. As you said you did not want to do the last time cos you were tired. Go and explore and try to get lost at HB, (take your GPS with) that way you wont know whats coming and by the time you poked hopefully there still some surprises on your way back to the car.

PS, I read about this tip one day where a runner explained how he decided to cover up his watch and ignore the stats on a 21km that he competed in and smashed all of his times. Not 100% the same but the idea that counts.

Thanks for sharing.

Naughty Ian

Gunston Green
Reaction score
Shawn, not sure how familiar you are with Heidelberg but if you stretch your imagination a bit you can even do a 50km ride.

If you are training big time to get fit or race (as you say roof training), some days its also good to switch off the GPS. As you said you did not want to do the last time cos you were tired. Go and explore and try to get lost at HB, (take your GPS with) that way you wont know whats coming and by the time you poked hopefully there still some surprises on your way back to the car.

PS, I read about this tip one day where a runner explained how he decided to cover up his watch and ignore the stats on a 21km that he competed in and smashed all of his times. Not 100% the same but the idea that counts.

Thanks for sharing.
tman, you can do even more than 50km if you want to. You can include the other side of the highway (just stay where we are allowed to ride) and even still ride in the army base