2013 KTM 300 dies when warmed up.

Swazi Phil

Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

So I have a 2013 KTM 300 xcw.

It seems to just dies after 5 mins after starting.. just bogs down like its running out of fuel.

some history, I have had the bike since 2013 with very little trouble, Engine had a full rebuild about 20hrs, ago it probably didn't need it but I felt it was time in order to keep it fresh. Bike was completely stripped and frame powder coated ect. Stator was re-wired due to it not charging the battery, and a new regulator put in.

Since the rebuild it has been running like dream, I noticed coolant in the oil at the last oil change so changed the water pump seal and its fixed that.

Now to the problem I'm having.

Starts right up when cold, I don't usually idle it for long on the choke usually cruise around gently to warm it up, once warm it just dies... and wont restart from electric start or kicking until it cools down. (5 - 10 mins later)

Started by changing the spark plug, started right up again for about 5mins then dies again. checked new plug is burning the right colour.
Cleaned the carb, it looked clean, made no difference. Air filter is clean, I have not changed the spark plug type / number, have not used a different two stroke oil or ratio. I borrowed an ignition coil from another bike to test if it was that it still does it. I have checked fuses, and all electrical plugs to see if they all in properly and seems they are fine, battery is newish and has good charge, :confused:

Next I will try running it until it dies and then check for spark to see if its fuel or electrical.

Any Ideas?

Thanks in Advance.

P.S pushing a bike home is great fitness :icon_lol:

Phil

Dean_E232

ClutchPump
Reaction score
had this on a ktm 85 , turned out to be a crack on the cylinder head , very fine hairline crack as iut got hot , it allowed a small amount of coolent into the combustion chamber and killed the bike , once cooled down it would start again and then start all over again

thebob

My name is Coco
Reaction score
Sounds suspiciously like the stator could be playing up again. Try swap that out see if it fixed the issue

George250

Forum Member
Reaction score
1st step determine if its fuel or spark. Check for spark when it wont start.
If it has spark,- see if it will run with the choke on- if so could be a blocked main jet.
No spark- disconnect the kill switch as a starting point.
check all the electrical plug connections clean and lub with a penetration oil/spray. The coil must earth on the frame- so make sure to clean the frame with some sand paper were the coil bolts to the frame. Make sure that the earth wires that bolt to the frame are also making good connection to the frame. Bad earth is one of the biggest causes of electrical issues.

Tman21

Happily Married
Reaction score
Sounds suspiciously like the stator could be playing up again. Try swap that out see if it fixed the issue
Stator and pickup, then reedblock if you have excluded fuel and spark.

@Yama_Bac i think if the plug would be ugly if it was burning the gearbox oil.

Dean_E232

ClutchPump
Reaction score
Thanks Dean_E232 hopefully its not that....
I hope so too we swapped everything we could from a friends bike nothing sorted it out , tony was about to give up when he decided to strip motor and inspect every part and that when he saw the hairline crack , had us baffled for two months . My son was very despondent to a point he did not like the bike , went to a 105 when we picked it up , loved the bike afterwards

Team SBR

Forum Member
Reaction score
Check the Choke Unit in carburetor, it is not closing properly. Hence the bog as soon as it warms up.
Usually some dirt preventing the choke tube to close completely or the seal has hardened over the years...

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
had this on a ktm 85 , turned out to be a crack on the cylinder head , very fine hairline crack as iut got hot , it allowed a small amount of coolent into the combustion chamber and killed the bike , once cooled down it would start again and then start all over again
If it is this, you obviously can tell easily by checking the oil again. Suppose the advantage is that the problem is found then rather than puzzling forever.

Dean_E232

ClutchPump
Reaction score
If it is this, you obviously can tell easily by checking the oil again. Suppose the advantage is that the problem is found then rather than puzzling forever.
what oil do you want to check , its a two stroke you wont see it in your gearbox oil

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
what oil do you want to check , its a two stroke you wont see it in your gearbox oil
Not possible to seep through? My knowledge on these things is limited. But I know if it was a 4t you definitely would.

Swazi Phil

Forum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advise, will check the thing over again and let you know if I find the gremlin... :thumbs up:

Team SBR

Forum Member
Reaction score
Open radiator cap and check for foam type bubbles when revving the engine a bit...

Aidan

Carb 101 - ask me!
Reaction score
Open radiator cap and check for foam type bubbles when revving the engine a bit...
Quick Checks as recommended:

Spark, fuel (smell exhaust after kicking with finger on kill switch or remove plug and check if it is wet) and radiator.

Got spark and fuel, then start with compression test at temp (may not be leaking into the water system).