2016 West Coast Baja

Buff

Forum Member
Reaction score
Entry done and dusted, looking seriously forward to this event.

Last edited:

Pom17

I like trying to get my 4T to lift the front. Soon
Reaction score
Which bike you using Buff

Buff

Forum Member
Reaction score
My 690 but I got a mail today saying they're reducing the distances between refueling points in the Lites Class to 100km's so there's a chance the new FI 4T enduro bikes will be able to make it on standard tanks.

Pom17

I like trying to get my 4T to lift the front. Soon
Reaction score
Enjoy, will be entering the rally scene as soon as budget allows. So maybe in the next 10 years :icon_cry:

ktmpilot

Reaction score
For those who are not familiar with the concept of a Baja, it is an official form of FIM cross-country racing, basically bridging the gap between off-road nationals and roadbook rallyes.

In its simplest terms, a Baja can be described as a multi-day stage off-road race.

So, a Baja does not use a roadbook for navigation and rather GPS tracks like a navigational enduro.

A rallye bike's range is normally in the region of 300 km's, whereas a Baja bike only needs to have a range of about 100 km's.

The official FIM definition of a Baja is as follows:

DEFINITION OF A BAJA
A Baja is a sporting event staged over varied terrain, normally over 2 days plus a facultative prologue and in any case maximum 3 days of race, and is intended to prove the skill and endurance of riders, and the reliability of their machines. The terrain consists of natural landscapes and usually not modified by the organiser as follows and not limited to:

- Mountain, rocky sections
- Dunes
- Rivers, dry riverbed, mud tracks
- Open public road
- Natural vegetation, bushes, high grass, forest
- Asphalt road, off road tracks
- Terrain with snow conditions

Last edited:

ktmpilot

Reaction score
So, the West Coast Baja in 2016, organised by Amageza Racing, will comprise a Baja race (navigated by GPS on non-rallye bikes), as well as an intro level roadbook rallye (navigated by roadbook on rallye bikes).

Onderbroek

Forum Member
Reaction score
sounds like a blast.

good training for the amageza i presume?

GARTH ROBERTS

Reaction score
Hi KTM pilot... Just a point of correction... Bajas are rallies ...it is never a sticker race...it most certainly has road book nav...no ralles are without road books...it the very nature of rally... the only variable is that some rallies dont us GPS at all and only us a road book with trip meters, some will include R/B with Cap headings for "off-piste" / off man track...and rallies in dune areas will use R/B with a erft system which has a compass heading (follow the arrow)...rallies dont run on a bread-crum track ...road book nav is what rallies are all about and not just raw speed. Hope this helps and sheds a bit of light on the topic! cheers!

ktmpilot

Reaction score
Hi KTM pilot... Just a point of correction... Bajas are rallies ...it is never a sticker race...it most certainly has road book nav...no ralles are without road books...it the very nature of rally... the only variable is that some rallies dont us GPS at all and only us a road book with trip meters, some will include R/B with Cap headings for "off-piste" / off man track...and rallies in dune areas will use R/B with a erft system which has a compass heading (follow the arrow)...rallies dont run on a bread-crum track ...road book nav is what rallies are all about and not just raw speed. Hope this helps and sheds a bit of light on the topic! cheers!
OK, I will concede on the sticker-marking not being used in a Baja ever, but in my opinion a Baja is by definition not a roadbook event. If you for example look at FIM rules (Page 5 of the FIM document 65.800.02_EN) and the reg's of the Merzouga Baja (which is run at the same time and event as the Merzouga Rallye) (see page 4: http://www.bajamerzouga.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/BAJA-MERZOUGA-Reglement-particulier.pdf), it is clearly stated that a Baja is navigated by GPS track and not by roadbook.

The fact that the Amageza Baja has a roadbook class this year clouds the issue slightly, since by FIM rules that is classed as a Rallye and not a Baja.