2018 Hard Enduro discussion

flatout111

Forum Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm a huge hard enduro fan all the way from NC in the USA.

I just stumbled onto this forum searching for active hard enduro discussion. This was about the only forum I found. But not much discussion on the current hard enduro season in the extreme category.

Are there discussions elsewhere or just not much talked about here? It seemed pretty active in 17. But hardly anything on 18 and we're over half way thru.

Thanks for the assistance.

NUMSCH

Former Duchess of Fourways
Reaction score
Welcome to 101! We follow the international hard enduro events and have some really good local talent in the likes of Wade Young and Travis Teasdale.

flatout111

Forum Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Let me clarify just a bit. I became a hard enduro fan thru watching the amazing Throttle Entertainment dvds that used to be released between say 2005-2013. I've since became friends with Throttle's founder, Jeff Pakosta. Great guy and great talent.

My first DVD was Return to Hell's Gate then Erzberg: The Polish Hat Trick. I then proceeded to buy and consume every Throttle hard enduro DVD including 2 of the ROA. I also got a few other dvds including the Duke Videos of ROA 10 and The Tough One 11.

Ironically enough, I've not followed TKO which is in my country that much. I do have Last Man Standing which was in Texas and came down to Knighter, Taddy and Geoff Aaron. Epic. But it's more been about the European or South African riders to me or the American riders such as Webb who truly commit to hard enduro.

Ive been a fan for a while and my personal favorite events are Red Bull Romaniacs and Hell's Gate. I love the lore of the Carpathian Mountains in Sibiu and absolutely love the old night racing and climbing Hell's Peak in Il Ciocco, Italy. I also love Sea to Sky and the Roof. But I admittedly like the dense forest racing with its nasty ascents and descents best.

Yep, I've been following the WESS intently. I love the crop of fresh new generation of riders such as Wade, Manni, Blake, TT and Billy but I def love my old school heroes of hard enduro such as Letti, the Silent Assassin is legendary, Chris Birch, Jade, Lourence, Knighter, Darryl, Bolts and of course Jonny and Taddy.

I'm super passionate about hard enduro and feel like I know the sport really well but always looking to learn more and, more importantly, am here to hopefully discuss in detail everything hard enduro.

I also collect anything related to hard enduro including a signed Letti track worker vest from The Tough One and done cool stuff from Fabio Fasola, creator of Hell's Gate. Not an easy task to do since I'm in NC but social media helps and my friend Jeff got Letti to personally address me on The Tough One piece. Very cool.

So here I am... A complete newbie here who loves hard enduro and rambles too much but hey, I'm passionate and when I found this forum I was elated. But just disappointed there was much current talk on the extreme side. So, I'm hoping to do what I can to bring more discussion. I know the sport, the events, the bikes of Europe but there are other aspects I have questions about.

So thank you for the welcome and let's get some hard enduro talk happening. It's truly a great sport filled amazing sportsmanship, talent and utterly breathtaking locales!

flatout111

Forum Member
Reaction score
I'm also from a MX background where people post every second on Vital. I'm not expecting that but I am hoping to find a home to discuss hard enduro. So, I'll prob start some topics discussing things, asking questions, etc. I hope at some point to race the Hobby class at Red Bull Romaniacs but we'll see if I can make it logistically happen.

Tombstone

The Old Ballie
Reaction score
Hi flatout111

I lived in Cornelius (just north of Charlotte) NC for a while. I used to ride enduro-type events (something between GXCC and South African enduro) with an expat South African that lives (or lived) in Mooresville NC.

Perhaps is you have a look at what the dirt bike scene is in Moorseville or around there, you might pick some stuff up. Most of my enduro riding in the States though was in Colorado Springs - Buena Vista and Ruby Mountain. If you ever get your bike to that neck of the woods, let me know. I still have a bunch of ride buddies there.

Last edited:

Dean_E232

ClutchPump
Reaction score
howzit ...or do we say howdy ....

you can also find info on the following website , but no discussions ...............be warned our discussions inevitably end up off topic because of one or two individuals .

https://enduro21.com/index.php

flatout111

Forum Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Cool to actually have someone know where NC is. Yeah, legendary racing commentator Ralph Sheheen is from Mooresville!

Yeah, I've been going to enduro 21 for years. No forum but still cool. One thing I miss in hard enduro that we have in mx/sx is podcasts. Are there any out there... In English discussing stuff like the Roof, Romaniacs, Erzberg, etc? Also, I bought Enduro World magazine at a local Barnes and Noble but not sure if that's still going or could get a subscription. Any magazines... Again, in English?

Following hard enduro racing and being so far away... Like seriously following it, not just in recap videos... is quite the challenge.

fubar

Forum Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, I just finished a Bronze RBR and towards the end of day one I ended up in a group of riders, all of lost and trying to get back to civilisation, one of the riders was an American racing in the silver class, he said "I have been training for moths and months, but I am so over this now" poor guy, I don't know if he started day two. I got in at 21h30.

Point is if you have the means and the desire, just do it, entries open in October.