A Guide to Outrides and Venues

BULL

The Blue Puta
Reaction score
Probably not, last year it was all work and 1 single fcuk-This year it is ..............................................................................

I've been riding a KTM for almost 2 years now and according to Bull (he checked the other day at De Wildt) I only have the odd 40 hours on the bike.
Such a mean looking bugger reduced to putty by a tiny person!

JayR250F

Forum Member
Reaction score
Great info guys.........great until the 4T/Yamaha comments !!!

You cut me deep !!!

Braaaaaaaaaaap :)

:AR15firing:

DenDirtbiker

I fall off a lot
Reaction score
Excellent info BigMike and congrats Crash Test Dummy.

As far as Sambok / Mamelodi Koppies goes I parked at the little corner shop where the owner assured me that they are happy to let us park there safely.... for a small fee of course. He also mentioned that they are going to start doing some maintenance on the track. I did notice some directional arrow boards with Trax KTM on them, so it appears that there are people trying to get the track up and running again.

Mamelodi koppies is a really gnarly little mountain. As CTD said it's one of the few places in Gauteng that offers a proper mountain climb. In fact most of my mates don't like it because it's such a tough ride. There's one climb where you go up 140 metres elevation in a distance of about 600 metres!

On the downside I saw that one of the farmers put a fence up, I assume to keep his livestock from wandering. I don't think he has any issue with us riding on the koppie. The locals have started creeping up the koppie though, but as BigMike said just be accommodating and there shouldn't be any issues.

Another thing to look out for at all venues is in the winter months the locals usually do their circumcision rituals. I know at Dewildt they usually tie plastic bags to trees to warn us not to get too close. I've been chased by panga wielding lunatics and it's not a pleasant experience.

Another venue not mentioned is Schurweberge, but it's almost like a subsidiary of Wild West, because one would park there anyway and ride to SB from WW. If you want to ride Schurweberge best oke to contact is Francois M and arrange a guided tour.

Francois M

Wild West Enduro Track
Reaction score
Thank you Mike , great post.Guys if I may add , please stay on the marked route at Wild West and do not ride before 7am.Also if you are riding to Schurveberg please drive slowly on the gravel road past Gerardsville , I've had residents complain about stones being shot up by guys riding fast or doing highspeed wheelies.Also please do not go on neighbouring properties , it "s been causing major crap for us lately.Guys also consider that if you park at Wild West and go off to Schurveberg and something happens we will try and assist with recovering your bike or help in an emergency, we"ve done this plenty of times ,I"m also always keen on taking guys on outrides if I"m given enough notice.Riding areas are becoming less and less with the rapid rate of urbanisation so we should consider it a privelage to be able to still ride at the venues mentioned, there are places like the Cape where there are hardly any riding venues .

Dean_E232

ClutchPump
Reaction score
Thank you Mike , great post.Guys if I may add , please stay on the marked route at Wild West and do not ride before 7am.Also if you are riding to Schurveberg please drive slowly on the gravel road past Gerardsville , I've had residents complain about stones being shot up by guys riding fast or doing highspeed wheelies.Also please do not go on neighbouring properties , it "s been causing major crap for us lately.Guys also consider that if you park at Wild West and go off to Schurveberg and something happens we will try and assist with recovering your bike or help in an emergency, we"ve done this plenty of times ,I"m also always keen on taking guys on outrides if I"m given enough notice.Riding areas are becoming less and less with the rapid rate of urbanisation so we should consider it a privelage to be able to still ride at the venues mentioned, there are places like the Cape where there are hardly any riding venues .

+10000000

shabsta

F800GS ALL THE WAY
Staff member
Reaction score
Congrats Crash Test Dummy

Thanks to BigMike for copying and pasting, to Mark for hosting the site, to Naughty Ian for his contribution to this thread, to Bull for his words of wisdom, to blankie for saying it like it is, thatguy for being that guy, to Herminator for being one three GasGas owners worldwide, to Den for his excellent videos and getting his receptionist to type this lot into MS Word.

Crash Test Dummy

Forum Member
Reaction score
@DenDirtbiker, we should get the powers-to-be (#Mark250GP) to organize an official Moto101 ride at Mamelodi. The enduro crowd can do the mountain and the less skilled riders/ MX boys / kiddies / chicks can do the Sambok track.

BULL -the last time somebody endangered my two puppies the story made the national headlines. If somebody ever makes the unwise decision of trying to harm my little girl then that story will probably make CNN.

red_eye_righley

The Standard Thing
Reaction score
Congrats CTD. Do you know what caused it, I have 1 3/4 girls and still haven't figured it out. Let me know when you find out.

DenDirtbiker

I fall off a lot
Reaction score
@DenDirtbiker, we should get the powers-to-be (#Mark250GP) to organize an official Moto101 ride at Mamelodi. The enduro crowd can do the mountain and the less skilled riders/ MX boys / kiddies / chicks can do the Sambok track.

@BULL -the last time somebody endangered my two puppies the story made the national headlines. If somebody ever makes the unwise decision of trying to harm my little girl then that story will probably make CNN.
Splendid idea @Crash Test Dummy I can work out a lekker loop there, just need to go there and do some more reconnaissance to make sure we don't irk the farmer or the locals. :thumbs up:

miks

Forum Member
Reaction score
In light of the recent incidents at De Wildt and the ongoing kak at Maraisburg, it thought I would start a post to assist the newer guys out there with a few guidelines to outrides and general info at various venues in Gauteng.

Simple Rules for Outrides:

1: Dont Be a Doos !

This rule is very simple and should be applied throughout the land at at every single riding venue. We are extremely fortunate in SA to have large tracts of land to ride on. this land is fast disappearing due to various issues. Farms dont like bikes, rural people dont like bikes, people with kids walking around dont like bikes. so basically the odds are always stacked against us wherever we ride.
Showing people respect is the absolute key to avoid rocks being thrown at you, trees and rocks thrown in the path, holes being dug etc. if you act like a doos, the chances are the people in the areas you ride will take action and you or another rider will end up being injured.

2: Ride Slowly !
Yes we all love getting on the gas and racing around. That is why we bought a dirtbike. By all means hammer the shit out of your bike when you can, but please DO NOT do this in a built up area, in between shacks, past livestock etc.

When you pin in through those areas you kick up dust and annoy the shit out of the locals.
They WILL take action and string wires across roads and make problems.
You would do the same if you had all your freshly cleaned washing hung up to dry and 20 okes came past and made all your washing dusty and dirty.

The same thing goes for livestock. When you see cows, horses, goats etc. slow down.
They get a huge fright from bikes and try run away, they can injure themselves and a local will lose his very very valuable livestock due to something stupid a ride has done. This in turn will cause the local to stone other riders etc.

3: DO NOT RIDE THROUGH FIELDS !
Local Farmers and Rural Dwellers spend plenty of time ploughing fields, planting seeds etc. so that they can grow crops to sell or to live off. You tearing through those fields destroys the hard work they have put in and will damage the field. You would not like it if I drove a tractor through your server room, don’t do it, refer to point 1.

Riding Venue Tips:

De Wildt – De wildt is a tribal trust area. There are many rural dwellings being erected in and around the morula koppie due to the infrastructure that the Government has been building and its proximity to Soshanguve. At the bottom of Long Rocks, people are building houses all over the place and are demarcating areas of land left right and centre. Rather avoid the residential area as you will make kak and the locals will string up wire and riders will get injured.
There are over 200 Square Km’s of De Wildt riding. One path isn’t going to make any difference and it will save you and other riders the shit of getting injured.

The Three Fences River Bed ….. ah the famous river bed of payment. There are three fences that are manned by herd boys. These fences give you access to that stretch of river that are on a specific farmers land. You don’t have to pay them R10 per rider but depending on the size of the group R10 or R20 will suffice. You are paying for the privilege to use another mans land. Most riders pay R80 plus for access to various riding venues around Gauteng. R30 rand to ride the river is peanuts. Don’t argue, don’t shout and don’t be a doos. Pay the guys so that we all continue to have access to the river.

The Police Koppie has also become a bone of contention lately as riders have been complaining about theft etc. Again there is a very simple way around it. If you don’t want people around you harassing you, tell them to go away. You don’t have to be horrible and swear, politely but firmly tell the Sherpa’s to back off and leave you alone. They will go away. If you do however ask them to help you out of a tricky spot, you are expected to pay for that assistance. The youngsters on the koppie are dirt poor and they spend all weekend in the mountains helping riders for money. It is what they do. Don’t be a dick and ride away, because you will get stuck again and the Sherpa’s will help themselves to whatever they can lay their hands on, all the while smiling at you.

Another point regarding the Sherpa’s and kids on the koppie, as I said they are dirt poor. A smart phone feeds them and their families for a month. R500 is a fortune. If you are going to have that amount of cash and an expensive phone on you, make sure it is well secured and cannot easily be removed from your bum bag. We live in Africa. Be wary so that you don’t get robbed.

Last thing – Refer to points 1, 2 and 3

Guys please feel free to add other venues and tips so that we can create a decent list for all riders.

Maraisburg and Chimes are always firm favourites with newer riders as the terrain warrants easy riding and allows riders to gain confidence fairly quickly.
Both areas are old mine dumps that are the off shoot of Gauteng’s gold mining operations. The dunes we ride in still contain Gold and a fair amount of it. A lot of the dumps are being reclaimed but the owners of the dumps so they are rapidly disappearing.

Both areas have a huge problem with illegal mining and illegal immigrants. The central African immigrants are extremely resourceful characters and have worked out many ways to extricate more gold from the sand. The problem is that the mine wherever they like. So the dig massive holes all over the place and leave very very dangerous obstacles in a riders path.

The rain also causes massive wash aways in the dunes due to their very loose structure.
Both the mining and the rains leave the tracks in a very bad way.

ALWAYS err on the side of caution when riding these areas. Unless you were on the same track in the morning, don’t pin it as before you wipe the shit out of your eyes, the track you rode last weekend in now a mine field of huge holes, wash aways and rocks. So many people, including myself have been injured severely due to the constantly altered state of the dunes and the tracks.

Many Zionists and Churches use the rivers in Maraisburg for Baptism ceremonies.
When you see them in and around rivers, PLEASE slow down and do not splash the people at the rivers.
It is very very offsides.

Be care when riding these areas.

Heidelberg – The Heidelberg 4 x 4 track is a bespoke riding venue where the owners of the track are huge (pardon the pun) Enduro riding enthusiasts. They have put a lot of money into the track to mark and maintain it.
The track is a real treat for any enduro rider as is offers a hell of a lot of varying terrain.

Some riders choose not to want to pay for this privilege of riding out of the 4x4 track and park across the N3 at a grunty little garage.
First of all, there are ZERO facilties at the garage, second of all you are leaving your vehicle unattended on the side of a highway (you are looking for kak) and thirdly, the land you have to ride through to get to the track is through private farms who do not allow bikes to ride through them.
The one farmer is extremely hostile towards bikers.
This in turn makes waves in the community and puts pressure on the 4 x 4 track.
PLEASE do not do this. pay the cash, park at a great venue with showers, toilets, swimming pool and cold refreshments .

Wild West – Wild West is a much loved riding venue where the owners of the track Enduro riding enthusiasts and they use the venue for races as well. They have put a lot of money into the track to mark and maintain it.

The track is a real treat for any enduro rider as is offers a hell of a lot of varying terrain.
It also offers a training section, Enduro Cross Track and two loops of varying difficulty.

Wild West is a private venue with good facilities and they carry a lot of spares, accessories, tyres, mousses and fitment area.

There are also plenty Kudu and Steenbokke on the farm. If you see them, please slow down and don’t scare them.

Tussenkoppies – TK is located in the South of JHB and is a great place to ride. The terrain is pretty challenging so rather skip it if you are just starting out with endure riding.
There are many climbs and descents and some very nice tech sections that really get the heart rate up.

The area is partly owned by Rand Water and a mining operation.
The open cast mine has been sealed off with razor wire fencing to keep out vagrants and dirt bikers.

Don’t try and get through as you will find yourself in a world of kak with the mine as you are effectively trespassing.

In terms of the locals, there are a few vagrants etc. on the koppies but they normally stay off the tracks etc.

Some preachers and churches use the rivers for Baptism ceremonies.
When you see them in and around rivers, PLEASE slow down and do not splash the people at the rivers. It is very very offsides.

When riding from the TK area to the Walkerville koppies see point 1, 2 and 3.

Arrows Rest – Arrows Rest is in Harties and is a bespoke riding venue where the owners of the property have developed an enduro track, they use the venue for races as well. They have put a lot of money into the track to mark and maintain it.

There are other farms that back onto Arrows Rest, if the fences are down, please do not wander onto the other farms as they do not allow dirbikes to ride on their property.

The track can be very challenging at times when traction becomes non existant, but everything is rideable.
They also have logs and tyres in the forest section for you to practise on and a flat track to build up your speed and cornering skills.

If the gate is closed, go to the Arrows Rest Driving Range and ask them to open for you. They will come across and allow you access.

Sjambok and Mamelodi Koppies – Park at the little corner shop where the owner assured me that they are happy to let us park there safely.... for a small fee of course.

He also mentioned that they are going to start doing some maintenance on the track. I did notice some directional arrow boards with Trax KTM on them, so it appears that there are people trying to get the track up and running again.

Mamelodi koppies is a really gnarly little mountain. As CTD said it's one of the few places in Gauteng that offers a proper mountain climb. In fact most of my mates don't like it because it's such a tough ride. There's one climb where you go up 140 metres elevation in a distance of about 600 metres!

On the downside I saw that one of the farmers put a fence up, I assume to keep his livestock from wandering. I don't think he has any issue with us riding on the koppie.
The locals have started creeping up the koppie though, but as @BigMike said just be accommodating and there shouldn't be any issues.

Another thing to look out for at all venues is in the winter months the locals usually do their circumcision rituals. I know at Dewildt they usually tie plastic bags to trees to warn us not to get too close. I've been chased by panga wielding lunatics and it's not a pleasant experience.

Courtesy of @DenDirtbiker - Thanks Bud
New here and found this very helpful. Thanks guys

StuartC

Forum Member
Reaction score
The last person you want to take advice from is BigDyk