Advice on Alarm- Paradox wireless any good?

booth

toll
Reaction score
Just after 12am this morning the missus heard a noise in the garden and when opening the blinds to see was greeted by an affirmative shopper on the other side of the window, luckily they fled after checking, seems they cut the electric fence and gained access that way, security was already in the complex responding to the fence alarm, shattering any illusions that complexes are safe.

As we are moving in the near future, I want to put in an alarm with outdoor beams etc, and I do not want wires as I would like to take system with.

Looking at the Paradox wireless range, they any good?

Anyone using a Paradox wireless system that can comment?

kyleschoeman

Forum Member
Reaction score
Booth.... Where are you based? An offroader who is not in this forum installs security systems for a living and will be able to advise you properly. Based on the East Rand in Jhb. Whatsapp me if he could be of assistance.... 082 zero six 1 two 2 09

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

MMM

Forum Member
Reaction score
Have one, been running for just over a year with no problems. Beams, motion sensors and door switches, all wireless. Range is pretty good as well.

They give a warning when the batteries go flat but after a year this still hasn't happened.

2 things.

They recommend that at least 20% of your system be hard wired. We only have the eye at the control panel wired.

If the alarm is off during the day someone can come and move the beam elsewhere where it doesn't pick up movement creating an entry point.

Otherwise been great.

A

armpump

I don't trust wireless (Even if they say battery will last 2 years)

If installed neatly you could easily remove and relocate a wired "system" in future

ps Proper pet friendly beams do not come cheap so be prepared to spend a few bob

booth

toll
Reaction score
Have one, been running for just over a year with no problems. Beams, motion sensors and door switches, all wireless. Range is pretty good as well.

They give a warning when the batteries go flat but after a year this still hasn't happened.

2 things.

They recommend that at least 20% of your system be hard wired. We only have the eye at the control panel wired.

If the alarm is off during the day someone can come and move the beam elsewhere where it doesn't pick up movement creating an entry point.

Otherwise been great.
Perfect, exactly what I wanted to hear, thank you, have also been told that batteries etc last about 2 years.

Honestly never considered that someone could move the beam when the alarm is off, will consider it as I upgrade and add more to the system.

What range you running your beams at the moment?

CycleC

Forum Member
Reaction score
Roboguard beams - I have 4 installed around the perimeter of the house, they work like a dream. All wireless and the HQ is next to my bed , if the beam is tripped an alarm sounds so only we can hear it indoors,It also indicates what zone has tripped, it can however be wired into the house alarm if you want. If i recall the 4 beams and HQ cost around 10K -

booth

toll
Reaction score
Roboguard beams - I have 4 installed around the perimeter of the house, they work like a dream. All wireless and the HQ is next to my bed , if the beam is tripped an alarm sounds so only we can hear it indoors,It also indicates what zone has tripped, it can however be wired into the house alarm if you want. If i recall the 4 beams and HQ cost around 10K -
CycleC are they not a pain to setup?

MMM

Forum Member
Reaction score
We have beams fitted to the side of the house covering the windows and sliding doors. Think they are set at 12m in each direction. The narrower they are the further they go and the less likely they are to be triggered by pets.

CycleC

Forum Member
Reaction score
I mounted them on the walls (4 wall plugs and screws) and a friend of mine came and set them up, honestly it took him 30 mins. Both beams have to be broken in order for it to trip so I mounted them with the lower piece at 800mm - its not fool proof because if you are aware they are there you can crawl under. We also installed proper lighting that makes the garden look like daylight as well as CCTV so for now I am covered - I have had no issues other that the occasional false alarm when the wind blows hard and the trees move.

booth

toll
Reaction score
We have beams fitted to the side of the house covering the windows and sliding doors. Think they are set at 12m in each direction. The narrower they are the further they go and the less likely they are to be triggered by pets.
Def made my mind up and running with the Paradox MMM thanks for all the feedback :thumbs up:

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, also only heard good things about roboguard as well, going to try the Paradox and see how that runs.

Sideways

Forum Member
Reaction score
I have Paradox wireless at my workshop works great, use the NV780m beams for outdoors, and GSM unit so you can get alarm, trouble and switch alarm on and off from your phone. I like wireless because i move the beams and passives around weekly so even my staff and visitors never know which areas i protect.

Naughty Ian

Gunston Green
Reaction score
I have Paradox wireless at my workshop works great, use the NV780m beams for outdoors, and GSM unit so you can get alarm, trouble and switch alarm on and off from your phone. I like wireless because i move the beams and passives around weekly so even my staff and visitors never know which areas i protect.
Those things can't work properly, our local expert doesn't trust wireless, so they must be kak :icon_e_confused:

RyanI

Forum Member
Reaction score
I have a full Paradox system in my house (installed by previous owner) comprising two key panels, two outside beams, three outside passives, and door sensors on all doors. All of this is wireless. Then I have wired passives in most of the house. My system is set up in two zones, inside zone and outside zone. When we go to sleep, we arm the outside zone from a simple button next to my bed, which then arms everything outside and all doors. When we leave the house, we arm everything. I get SMS's when anything happens including which sensor is picking up something and when the system has been disarmed and armed, and by which remote. SO for example I know when my kid gets home from school.

The batteries last ages so that is not a concern and the system warns you well in advance if one of the batteries is dying.

Two main negatives so far:
1. If something breaks or needs replacement, the parts are very expensive. (outside beam is about R2200). If the part is within two years Paradox will repair or replace. If it is older than two years they will not repair, only replace (obviously at your cost).
2. If you want to change anything on the system, like programming shortcut buttons, you need to call an expert with a laptop. If is extremely complicated from the key panels. Obviously this costs each time. The up side of this is that your alarm guy will keep your system configuration on his laptop, meaning that if the system completely fails or for example gets fried by lightening, he can restore all the settings when the system is replaced.

All in all, very powerful and configurable but expensive.

Good luck

booth

toll
Reaction score
I have a full Paradox system in my house (installed by previous owner) comprising two key panels, two outside beams, three outside passives, and door sensors on all doors. All of this is wireless. Then I have wired passives in most of the house. My system is set up in two zones, inside zone and outside zone. When we go to sleep, we arm the outside zone from a simple button next to my bed, which then arms everything outside and all doors. When we leave the house, we arm everything. I get SMS's when anything happens including which sensor is picking up something and when the system has been disarmed and armed, and by which remote. SO for example I know when my kid gets home from school.

The batteries last ages so that is not a concern and the system warns you well in advance if one of the batteries is dying.

Two main negatives so far:
1. If something breaks or needs replacement, the parts are very expensive. (outside beam is about R2200). If the part is within two years Paradox will repair or replace. If it is older than two years they will not repair, only replace (obviously at your cost).
2. If you want to change anything on the system, like programming shortcut buttons, you need to call an expert with a laptop. If is extremely complicated from the key panels. Obviously this costs each time. The up side of this is that your alarm guy will keep your system configuration on his laptop, meaning that if the system completely fails or for example gets fried by lightening, he can restore all the settings when the system is replaced.

All in all, very powerful and configurable but expensive.

Good luck
I got the 6250 all in one unit, has GSM, GPRS etc all on board, so no wires at all besides the power supply to the unit, have fitted some out door detectors for now and a NV780m as Sideways suggested.

Was a pain the rear to figure out the coding as you say RyanI but starting to get the hang of it, just want to secure the outside for now,in Dec I will start putting sensors etc inside, but very happy with the purchase, thanks for the advice guys.

booth

toll
Reaction score
I don't trust wireless (Even if they say battery will last 2 years)

If installed neatly you could easily remove and relocate a wired "system" in future

ps Proper pet friendly beams do not come cheap so be prepared to spend a few bob

AP I think that even neatly wired, moving a wired system is a massive pain, cable lengths etc etc will never be the same, read plenty online about Paradox and was certain was the way to go, just nice to have feedback from guys using here.

PS hopefully you trust wireless enough to one day own a Cell Phone over a wired one :thumbs up:

kyleschoeman

Forum Member
Reaction score
AP I think that even neatly wired, moving a wired system is a massive pain, cable lengths etc etc will never be the same, read plenty online about Paradox and was certain was the way to go, just nice to have feedback from guys using here.

PS hopefully you trust wireless enough to one day own a Cell Phone over a wired one :thumbs up:
Booth.... Now that your alarm is sorted..... I don't see your name on Enduro X entry list??? Make a plan

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk