After market oil filters

Rooster

Astrids Bizatch
Reaction score
Fail or Win? Are brands like tusk ok, or stick to oem?

Bargain_Hunter

I give Quaddies a bad name
Reaction score
OEM all the way.
Last year, OEM was cheaper than aftermarket ones by R10 each.
All bike shops, franchised or indie recommended OEM on KTM. Despite price benefit.
Just remember to pour some oil into filter housing before installation of new element. And check the two strainers as well.... They are cheap to replace, buy a spare set for when (not if) you need them.

Fires

Forum Member
Reaction score
Ya I have a oil change coming up next week (this time with filter) and I think its worth it going for OEM.....some things one can't skimp on :)

FLATOUT

Forum Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with Tusk. Its Rocky Mountain ATV&MC in-house brand. My mate has been using the Tusk clutch kit for a year now with no hassle.

Rooster

Astrids Bizatch
Reaction score
Anybody know the difference in the actual element construction?

Shawn

Forum Member
Reaction score
I have never had a problem with aftermarket filters, even from Startline, if OEM wasnt available.

What I do do is use the rubber seal from the OEM filter and fit it to the aftermarket filter as they generally fit tighter.

lukekay

Forum Member
Reaction score
A warning about buying aftermarket filters - make sure they are identical to the ones coming out otherwise it might block off a crucial oil passage should the rubber be slightly wider etc

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
Also a pointer I almost learnt the hard way. On some bikes they have a small o ring that sits on the filter. Usually this sticks to the old filter. I almost put a new filter back once without it on. If my mate did not spot this I would have blown my motor for sure!

Tman21

Happily Married
Reaction score
I can recommend HiFlo Filtro. Not sure if it will be cheaper than OEM but they are good.
Hi Flo for the win and prices are simular to OEM, I ask for hiFlo and if they dont have I will take anything else! OEM Filters are not made by the Company that made the bike so you cannot relate quality to the filter.
If its a Klatsh, waterpump, timing chain etc then OEM all the way but a paper filter is a paper filter doesn't matter what SCOTTYDOG preaches!

Tman21

Happily Married
Reaction score
Hahaha, if you think your joke is funny, I once bought a YZ250 2T and they guy gave me some consumables and spares from his stash. Found a little box on the shelf opened it and saw its a filter, he's like : oh and here is an oil filter for the bike, but dont worry I changed it with the last service!:icon_cry:

Rooster

Astrids Bizatch
Reaction score
Anyone know how much the Hi Flo ones are for ktm 350? Tusk was R60

TheCoon

Forum Member
Reaction score
Hahaha, if you think your joke is funny, I once bought a YZ250 2T and they guy gave me some consumables and spares from his stash. Found a little box on the shelf opened it and saw its a filter, he's like : oh and here is an oil filter for the bike, but dont worry I changed it with the last service!:icon_cry:
^^ This is great! :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:
I would have definitely had second thoughts about buying the bike.