Alpinestar boots

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
The range is huge!!! So what is the difference really?

https://www.alpinestars.com/products/mx/boots?product_list_dir=asc&product_list_order=price

Last year I took a small fall to the side, nothing serious, but the bike landed on my foot. Basically couldnt run for about 2 weeks. This week end the same happened, I reckon a week off jogging again.

So is there a boot out there that can withstand this impact? Last year it cracked a few of the small bones running across the top, this time round doesn't seem to be anything cracked but its tender enough.

This thread also relates to price. So what are you getting for your extra tom going from the tech 1 to the tech 10 at almost 250% a higher price?

Flat-Beat-Eric

Forum Member
Reaction score
Wallet is a big factor
Tech 10 is their flagship - boot in a boot, I was adamant I needed tech 10s for a better life. Once I tried them on I actually prefer the Tech 7 hands down.

Check 'hinged' boots
Garnae, Sidi and I see Acerbis is making nice stuff now.

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
Wallet is a big factor
Tech 10 is their flagship - boot in a boot, I was adamant I needed tech 10s for a better life. Once I tried them on I actually prefer the Tech 7 hands down.

Check 'hinged' boots
Garnae, Sidi and I see Acerbis is making nice stuff now.
So the hinge is where it all lies? What's the science behind the hinge making for better ankle/foot protection?

It would be great if alpinestar had a comparative table of sorts to see what you get for each model. Then to confuse it more I see you get an enduro type in some models. Im assuming the stitched on sole with toe cap is way better for enduro type riding vs the moulded sole?

swazi_matt

Forum Member
Reaction score
The hinge means that you get flexibility for walking, changing gear etc but don’t lose out on the lateral stiffness. Boots without a hinge tend to get softer in all directions with time

Dean_E232

ClutchPump
Reaction score
The hinge means that you get flexibility for walking, changing gear etc but don’t lose out on the lateral stiffness. Boots without a hinge tend to get softer in all directions with time
sounds like other things as i get older

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
That makes sense, so with time basically less protection all round as the boot stretches everywhere.

jaun.pierre

Forum Member
Reaction score
I have the Tech5's - pretty good boot although I have not yet crash tested these (thankfully)
They are fairly comfortable for riding but horrible for walking. (not hinged) Don't matter much to me as I only wear them while riding and don't do much walking around.

I think of boots like helmets - you pay for the protection. I chose the Tech5 as it was the best I could afford at the time.
Only recently found out about the enduro range - they look very much the same. I think they mentioned comfort being the big difference.

Team SBR

Forum Member
Reaction score
The only Alpinestar boot that provides proper "pivot" and ankle protection is the the Tech10.
As already said, the Tech10 is hellova bulky / large boot due to the inner booty which in my opinion makes it a heavy and a lumpy boot.
The other issue is that the Tech10 has not much toe protection, hence prone that riders get "black" toe nails riding tech rocks at "higher speeds / racing conditions"...:icon_redface:

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
The only Alpinestar boot that provides proper "pivot" and ankle protection is the the Tech10.
As already said, the Tech10 is hellova bulky / large boot due to the inner booty which in my opinion makes it a heavy and a lumpy boot.
The other issue is that the Tech10 has not much toe protection, hence prone that riders get "black" toe nails riding tech rocks at "higher speeds / racing conditions"...:icon_redface:
Im already busy re growing a toe nail from that, so thats a no no!!!

What else? Gaerne SG12?

adamktm

Forum Member
Reaction score
I tried on a pair of SG10's today, they felt really solid. Not as comfortable as my Tech 7's, but I'm sure they would bed in. They do feel like they will offer much better protection though.

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
I tried on a pair of SG10's today, they felt really solid. Not as comfortable as my Tech 7's, but I'm sure they would bed in. They do feel like they will offer much better protection though.
My previous boots were SG10's, they served me well. Should have just spent the loot the insurance paid me and bought 10's again!! But instead it melted into my account......

BULL

The Blue Puta
Reaction score
SG 10's or 12's are the shit.

Team SBR

Forum Member
Reaction score
Im already busy re growing a toe nail from that, so thats a no no!!!

What else? Gaerne SG12?
In that order, my opinion...
SG12
CIDI Crossfire2
SG10

Cheaper options but with still all right "Ticks" to consider. (In any order...)
New Kenny Titanium boots looks awesome!
New Acerbis Boots - (Dean to give feedback)

Chadvdw67

Forum Member
Reaction score
Try out some Forma boots as well, Forma Dominator (SG10 equivalent) and Forma Predator (SG12 equivalent) and they are much better priced than Gearne and Alpinestars

Naughty Ian

Gunston Green
Reaction score
SG12
CIDI Crossfire2
SG10

I have to agree 100%, my choice as well :thumbs up:

Last edited:

Dean_E232

ClutchPump
Reaction score
SG12
CIDI Crossfire2
SG10

i am very happy with the Acerbis , two rides down , no issues , are as comfortable as slippers and seem to have have the same protection as SG10 or even 11's . so far toe caps held up and no issues with boots , the clips came loose once or twice but think its because i had them to loose once tightened they stayed in place .

Really like the feel of the boot and did not feel like they where new an all , put them on and rode without an issue , will run them for a month and see what they look like ( so that will be about 8 heidelberg rides )

BULL

The Blue Puta
Reaction score
Whatever brand you decide on please don't opt for white unless you are a queen.