Alpinestar boots

adamktm

Forum Member
Reaction score
White boots make you faster, slightly off white/cream/brownish ones make you even faster!

Scully

Forum Member
Reaction score
Gaerne SG12

1) Heavy as fuck
2) Huge toe box, gear lever needs to be lifted.
3) Toe caps will need replacing often
4) Very Comfortable
5) Best protection of any boot.
6) Best boot for high speed mielie plaas racing.

Sidi Crossfire 2/3 SRS

1) Light as a feather
2) Small toe box
3) No toe caps
4) Exceptionally comfortable
5) Good protection
6) Soles can be replaced in 5minutes for R500.00
7) Best boot for technical (afkak)

I have had tech7's and they were very comfi but the soles lasted 6 months. Gluing new soles onto boots is a futile exercise.
If you frequently do river crossings u will hate any alpinestar boot, they retain water and will double in weight. They also need about 2 weeks in the sun to dry out. The sidi's drain in a few seconds and retain no water.

Last edited:

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
In that order, my opinion...
SG12
CIDI Crossfire2
SG10

Cheaper options but with still all right "Ticks" to consider. (In any order...)
New Kenny Titanium boots looks awesome!
New Acerbis Boots - (Dean to give feedback)
My only issue with the "strange" brands is parts back up, something silly like a clip might be an issue to source at a later stage. So it makes sense to stick to gaerne and alpinestar. Seems their parts are easy to get almost anywhere.

- - - Updated - - -

White boots make you faster, slightly off white/cream/brownish ones make you even faster!
My first boots ever were white, loved them, till they turned colour:icon_mad:

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
Gaerne SG12

1) Heavy as fuck
2) Huge toe box, gear lever needs to be lifted.
3) Toe caps will need replacing often
4) Very Comfortable
5) Best protection of any boot.
6) Best boot for high speed mielie plaas racing.

Sidi Crossfire 2/3 SRS

1) Light as a feather
2) Small toe box
3) No toe caps
4) Exceptionally comfortable
5) Good protection
6) Soles can be replaced in 5minutes for R500.00
7) Best boot for technical (afkak)

I have had tech7's and they were very comfi but the soles lasted 6 months. Gluing new soles onto boots is a futile exercise.
If you frequently do river crossings u will hate any alpinestar boot, they retain water and will double in weight. They also need about 2 weeks in the sun to dry out. The sidi's drain in a few seconds and retain no water.
I think the toe box is sometheing of importance to me. My current gaerne reacts seem to have a small toe box and my toes are raped after each race. So Im reckoning big toe box is the way to go.

jaun.pierre

Forum Member
Reaction score
Gaerne SG12

Yip - after washing my Tech5's, they take ages to dry. My right boot's sole is also gaffed properly from the kickstarter, and I've only had the boots for 3 months.
Not even sure where to take them to replace the soles

Last edited:

Dean_E232

ClutchPump
Reaction score
Yip - after washing my Tech5's, they take ages to dry. My right boot's sole is also gaffed properly from the kickstarter, and I've only had the boots for 3 months.
Not even sure where to take them to replace the soles
dubun

Scully

Forum Member
Reaction score
I think the toe box is sometheing of importance to me. My current gaerne reacts seem to have a small toe box and my toes are raped after each race. So Im reckoning big toe box is the way to go.
Toes being raped can be attributed to a bad fit and not necessarily the size of the toe box. Sidi boots have no foam and cushioning, the boot hugs every contour of the foot so that no slippage occurs. When the foot has lots of slippage in a boot this is what causes toe rape. You might think that a boot with lots of foam and cushioning would prevent "toe rape" it actually promotes it.

Kronos

Forum Member
Reaction score
Chop - he has Forma Predator's and he rates them as much better than his tech10's

I bought 2nd hand SG10's that have some nice vents for water on the right side foot but other than that I have had the bike land on my foot and ankle with them and I had some pain but nothing like when I had my mavricks

Forma Predator or SG10 would be good on the pockets and decent protection

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
Toes being raped can be attributed to a bad fit and not necessarily the size of the toe box. Sidi boots have no foam and cushioning, the boot hugs every contour of the foot so that no slippage occurs. When the foot has lots of slippage in a boot this is what causes toe rape. You might think that a boot with lots of foam and cushioning would prevent "toe rape" it actually promotes it.
Purely based on the fact that my SG10's did not do this but the reacts do, the toe box looks shallower on the reacts, could also be that the react is not a hnged boot and perhaps the foot is sliding around a bit more?

Chop

Forum Member
Reaction score
Chop - he has Forma Predator's and he rates them as much better than his tech10's

I bought 2nd hand SG10's that have some nice vents for water on the right side foot but other than that I have had the bike land on my foot and ankle with them and I had some pain but nothing like when I had my mavricks

Forma Predator or SG10 would be good on the pockets and decent protection
Yep, just got my second pair of Forma Predators. excellent boots! come in half sizes too.

Team SBR

Forum Member
Reaction score
It is ONLY the Crossfire SRS models that has no toe box, but then they have the unscrew and replace in 5min soles which is AWESOME!