Am I Making A Mistake

scary

Forum Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I was always the first to bleat about how a 2T is so much better and lighter and prettier and all and all than the 4T. If you check out my YouTube channel you'll notice the last few videos sound more like a severe thunderstorm coming than an angry bee. My honest opinion is that if you're strong enough to handle the 4T, it outshines the 2T in almost every department. Let's take some examples. Small loose round rocks at Dewildt ie. going up and down Coconuts was an absolute nightmare for me on the 2T. Now on the 4T with the extra weight on the front it tends to track a lot better, so, although it's still a mission to ride them small rocks, it's easier for me on the 4T. Okay, let's talk about big boulders, big step ups and the gnarly shit. I am so much more confident on the big obstacles now. Once again, the extra weight in front keeps the front wheel down, whereas on the 2T it tends to want to flip too easily. An example was at an invitation only venue a while ago, we ended up going up a gnarly little climb called 3 ships. Myself, on the only 4T and the rest of my mates, all on 2T's. This climb was steep, shaly, slippery, off camber and with one or two lekker little steps and a MOFO step right at the top. Fortunately I started out in front and climbed and sweated and huffed and puffed my way all the way to the top. Stopped on top, took a breather and walked back to see where my maaitjies were. I came across the whole bunch of them rucking and plucking to push and pull each other up the climb. And the first thing that was said to me was "How the f@ck did you get up here!?!" To be honest, I can only give the 4T the credit. If you can hang on to it, that scooter will take you anywhere. As far as stalling goes, yip, I've stalled quite a few times, but it's not like I never stalled the 300 either. Now I'm by no means saying it's easier to ride the 4T. No doubt, you will work a little harder, it just wheelies so much better.

Lastly, and probably most importantly, I still have the 300. It hasn't been out for a while and I only ride tech stuff.
Don't talk bullshit, we were not pulling and pushing nothing. We were admiring Baksteen's smurf bike. Okes don't believe him, just because he had a throttle stuck and screamed like a girl all the way up, does not mean he is like Graham Jarvis.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Tman21

Happily Married
Reaction score
If you havnt owned a 4T you cannot say that it stalls for vokkol. In less than2 rides you will adjusted your riding style and then it stalls just as often as a 2T. Stalling is not a factor.

Its plantedAF and that alone is enough reason for me to stick to a 4T. I am poes strong (90kg X 1.82m) so the little 250 has to work a bit harder but so do I and we are a match made in heaven. Hence my weight and motorcycle displacement I do hate anything above 3rd gear and the banger is an absolute angel in the rocks.

2years ago my mate weighed his 350 and his dads Husaberg 300, both bikes with halfish tanks of fuel and the works to protect them from the rocks. Bikes were 118/119kg. Bottom line is you dont do bike lifts the whole day. On the 4T the inertia in the light tech will make you feel like Wade Young but in the heavy tech you have to fight the inertia if you are not careful. But when you point and shoot with the 4T you better hold on as it does not stop once it found traction.:thumbs up:
Warren, what other setup changes have you made?

Warren

Forum Member
Reaction score
Warren, what other setup changes have you made?
Tman21 I am taking the front mousse out this weekend and fitting tyre-balls (Last time I was truly happy with the front end I had tyre-balls) this weekend to try and stop the deflection, your suggestion of dropping the sag to lower the rear makes sense so I intend trying that as well before we do a big technical ride next weekend. Reading DenDirtbiker post just confirms I must stick with my bike, I am also naturally strong (1.77m though) having ridden large 2strokes (Ktm 380, CR 500) and large 4 strokes most of my life so the final change will be to TTFU and start a serious training regiment as riding regularly will not be enough.

thebob

My name is Coco
Reaction score
Tman21 I am taking the front mousse out this weekend and fitting tyre-balls (Last time I was truly happy with the front end I had tyre-balls) this weekend to try and stop the deflection, your suggestion of dropping the sag to lower the rear makes sense so I intend trying that as well before we do a big technical ride next weekend. Reading DenDirtbiker post just confirms I must stick with my bike, I am also naturally strong (1.77m though) having ridden large 2strokes (Ktm 380, CR 500) and large 4 strokes most of my life so the final change will be to TTFU and start a serious training regiment as riding regularly will not be enough.
The front end deflection is a symptom of something that is not quite right. Correct springs installed, if not that could be part of the issue? Agree with Wise Mike, Tubliss up front at 0.8 Bar is awesome. Paired with a Mitas C-19 90/100 tyre, it is even better!

AfricaOffroad

Forum Member
Reaction score
Warren,

Doing a 360 deg loop out on a hill climb with my Cr500, doesn't qualify you as a Big Bang 2 stroke rider. That said, the hole shot you pulled with it at the Umhlanga festival against the likes of Alfie etc, was impressive

Warren

Forum Member
Reaction score
Warren ... have you tried tubliss ? been running them for 8 months now. really change the front end completely
BigMike I have bud and it works great when I was in Durban, my issue now that I am working in Ellisras is thorns. I punctured 2 Tubliss inner tubes in a month so went across to Tyreballs for the redundancy, a little more expensive but works better for me with these bloody thorns. I tried mousse in the front recently and it was a disaster, destroyed the 350 front end with deflections.

Warren

Forum Member
Reaction score
Warren,

Doing a 360 deg loop out on a hill climb with my Cr500, doesn't qualify you as a Big Bang 2 stroke rider. That said, the hole shot you pulled with it at the Umhlanga festival against the likes of Alfie etc, was impressive
AfricaOffroad :thumbs up:good memories flipping your 500, maybe I should have a run at your AF 500 next time we ride. You forget to mention I managed a top 10 in a WFO on ex Errol Dalton CR500 in 1999 near PMB although I was stuffed for a week but I was young and strong then. Hope you joining us for the Mountain Madalas in Lesotho early September, ran into thebob and a few of the forum members at Clarens, was a blast. Maybe I will leave the front mousse in so you will have a chance :icon_e_biggrin:

Split-Pin

Forum Member
Reaction score
FYI .... rode the 250 4t tank again this weekend......
The 4t is starting to like me,, a few more rides and maybe i will like the 4t back...

Ren

Forum Member
Reaction score
FYI .... rode the 250 4t tank again this weekend......
The 4t is starting to like me,, a few more rides and maybe i will like the 4t back...
Speaking of 4T
Had a look at a KTM 250 4T this weekend. I had a look and it doesn't come with a kickstart. :icon_eek:

How is this viewed? If you are in the middle of nowhere or in a spot where you cant bump the bike?