Anyone know T5 Transporters?

LoopSoosStroop

Forum Member
Reaction score
Some of the "crew cab" models came with two rows of seats, some with three specced as extras from the factory.

Can a third row from another T5 (Transporter/Kombi/Caravelle) be retrofitted to one with just two rows? Is the mounting provide for?

R&R

Forum Member
Reaction score
I have a LWB 4Motion van, there are no mountings for a third row of seats in place, also not permitted to do so as far as I understand.

Novice

Forum Member
Reaction score
you can get the mountings and insert them yourself with a bit of a mission, however there is no mountings in the rear for the seat belts on the cab portion itself.

not a cheap exercise. last quote I got was 8k for brackets and 12 k for seats.

KTMjedi

Forum Member
Reaction score
I took my LWB and added a row of seats. the indents in the floor pan are there. I just ordered the extra mounting brackets and had the fitted at a local body shop. I know you cannot increase your passenger carrying capacity thou. However I just wanted to be able to move the seating with the extra brackets! I also don't have all the seat belts available when I move it ...only the ones attached to the seats.

KTMjedi

Forum Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Was that price from the agents? Can maybe be obtained from scrapyards as well.
I wanted an extra single "jump seat" and tried all the scrap yards...no luck...so if you find one let me know :) .

LoopSoosStroop

Forum Member
Reaction score
Thanks KTMjedi.

Seems doable then. The Transporters are more affordable than the Caravelle 4 motion options, and I like the black bumpers and low key looks.

What year model is yours and how is it to live with?

Naughty Ian

Gunston Green
Reaction score
Just remember, you can do it and everything is fine, let something go wrong and you will battle with insurance company if it hasn't been homologated. Been there, got the T shirt

KTMjedi

Forum Member
Reaction score
Thanks KTMjedi.

Seems doable then. The Transporters are more affordable than the Caravelle 4 motion options, and I like the black bumpers and low key looks.

What year model is yours and how is it to live with?
Mine is a 2013 LWB 4 motion. I love it and would buy another bus. look it can be a bit big (LWB) for parking etc but its the best vehicle I have had. Only problem is that are crazy expensive!

LoopSoosStroop

Forum Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at the 2007-2009 SWB 2.5 TDI 4 motion models. Transporters can be had from R140k, Caravelle's from about R160k, but not often with under 200k km's.

StuartC

Forum Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at the 2007-2009 SWB 2.5 TDI 4 motion models. Transporters can be had from R140k, Caravelle's from about R160k, but not often with under 200k km's.
I hear those older 2.5's have issues with the torque converter or something like that, I have an 07 1.9 caravelle and besides being under powered I have had no shit

LoopSoosStroop

Forum Member
Reaction score
I hear those older 2.5's have issues with the torque converter or something like that, I have an 07 1.9 caravelle and besides being under powered I have had no shit
They did not come in auto so cant be that? Must be those dual mass flywheels.

DenDirtbiker

I fall off a lot
Reaction score
My 2.5 ate drive shafts, but I think that may also be due to my chronic lead right foot syndrome.