Best bike for the roof?

LoopSoosStroop

Forum Member
Reaction score
Cant believe we don't have a thread like this...

What is the best bike for an Roof attempt?

I weigh 75kg dry (85 kitted up)and I'm 1.76 m tall.

Logic would say Euro 200/250/300 2T? Low weight, decent suspension and leccy start.

LoopSoosStroop

Forum Member
Reaction score
And how important is electric start?

Limits the options on the 200's. Think they only have them 2013 onwards?

red_eye_righley

The Standard Thing
Reaction score
Does the gas gas 200 have leccy start?
I must say, there are a good few times where I could've done with one....but one can surely survive without the leccy start I think. Off-camber hill stalling should be punished by having to kick anyway ;-)

Mark800XC

Old and Slow
Staff member
Reaction score
KTM 200's only came with E-Start from '13 on-wards that's correct.

I'd say it's very important to have E-Start for technical riding especially since LSS is about the same height as me which isn't very tall. Without it you often have to get off the bike and kick with your left leg which also isn't always possible. E-Start saves you a hell of a lot of time in Enduro racing in my opinion.

RockGarden

Forum Member
Reaction score
red_eye_righley said:
The 2015 200's which we'll be bringing in will have E-start.
It can be retro fitted to any of our bikes though ;)

Thor928

Forum Member
Reaction score
A free one - and at your weight I would like the free KTM 200 with e-start and Mitas and Tubliss.

LoopSoosStroop

Forum Member
Reaction score
Mark250GP said:
KTM 200's only came with E-Start from '13 on-wards that's correct.

I'd say it's very important to have E-Start for technical riding especially since LSS is about the same height as me which isn't very tall. Without it you often have to get off the bike and kick with your left leg which also isn't always possible. E-Start saves you a hell of a lot of time in Enduro racing in my opinion.
Yep, I was thinking about a few scenarios I've been in where kick only would have sucked. A while ago I rode up a step, and stalled the bike just before the rear cleared, hanging the bike up on the frame. Just started again with the E-start and got up easily. With kick I would have had to either drag the bike up or go back down before starting the engine, as I was using both legs to balance and keep the bike from rolling back.

LoopSoosStroop

Forum Member
Reaction score
Thor928 said:
A free one - and at your weight I would like the free KTM 200 with e-start and Mitas and Tubliss.
Not on Mitas yet, but allready on Tubliss. Are you technically allowed to use Tubliss without Mitas?

swazi_matt

Forum Member
Reaction score
RockGarden said:
red_eye_righley said:
The 2015 200's which we'll be bringing in will have E-start.
It can be retro fitted to any of our bikes though ;)
and it is not as big as the previous e-start motors (I believe some GG riders were mugged at the last roof and had the e-start motor removed and used to replace failing pumps at Katse dam!)

Bush Wacker

Forum Member
Reaction score
Naughty Ian said:
Best bike, 500 KTM with Christini modification, ask Bushwacker, he and I know :D

and to proove it, I will even ride your christini 500 at roof :lol:

Cheezy

Forum Member
Reaction score
YZ125 with a CRF230 motor. Lekker suspension, light, and aircooled.

NUMSCH

Former Duchess of Fourways
Reaction score
Cheezy said:
YZ125 with a CRF230 motor. Lekker suspension, light, and aircooled.
Is this even possible? Will the motor fit in the YZ frame?

DangerDave

NotSoDangerous, Dave!
Reaction score
a reliable bike...
200/250 2t or a 250f, depending on what you prefer, happy button isn't even a question, if you have to ask why you need one you are either riding with a rekluse, or you have not done enough tech to bother with the roof...

red_eye_righley

The Standard Thing
Reaction score
Maybe, I havent done the roof, and I'm clueless, but I've ridden/ride with plentj okes who have, Im not the quickest, or slowest, and sometimes we all need a hand in the valleys here, especially when hot with a hangover. That said, plenty of good bikes have finished the roof and similar events without the happy button. There are worse things to go ride tough hills, valleys and riverbeds without than a battery and a motor I think. Gimme a choice though, I'd definitely prefer it.
The kadoox I sold on Friday has a tiny hydraulic cylinder that overides the rear brake. That was quite handy for hill stops with the need to let go of the brake pedal to start, worked quite nicely and I might try it on my skedonk KTM.