Bike License

NUMSCH

Former Duchess of Fourways
Reaction score
I did my license in Randburg a few years back we never went onto the road once. The test is very basic go for one lesson before hand and you should be sharp. If all else fails go the cant fail route
LOL thanks!

StuartC

Forum Member
Reaction score
You don't leave the yard, first you have to do a bike inspection then part 1 and 2, believe me you need the lessons or will fail, you ride around the yard like a noddy dog checking blind spots and shit, if you don't do it you fail.

Tman21

Happily Married
Reaction score
Learners is a test only. You can legally then pilot up to 1000cc without a pillion. So in essence they just testing your learning capabilities and you are not allowed to kill any passengers with someone like a Yammy M1 or Kawa HP 2.

Also slightly silly as you can get a learners at 16. Which then limits you to 125 or smaller with not pillion but it inly lasts 18 months and it takes roughly 2 years to turn 18.

I had to do a 125 License as my learners would've expires and then when I was 20 i did my license on a GS800 after going for 1 refresher lesson on a bajaj pulsar 180.

You do 90% of the test on a piece of tarmac the size of a netball court.

They have a Christmas tree simulating the back of a bike that is stationary bike. You basically play chicken with itand then have to react to the signs but in a short space you need to get the bike between 22-27kmph (iirc). Then at maybe a little kess speed you have to do a corner to both sides and atay between the lines roughly 1m apart and then emergency stop and hill take off.

Takes about 10-15min.

Rage

Forum Member
Reaction score
Done learners at 16, then license at 17. Had to redo exact same learners and license test at 18 for a bigger bike. Go figure. Both occasions I was made to follow testing staff out of yard behind his vehicle after yard test for a short loop. Its really easy if you know how to ride. However, at least 2 lessons are needed. Do it on a small bike if your local testing ground has stones on the hill like my towns. I done mine on a stunt bike and spun on the hill. Luckily the testing guy also rides and knew the 400 bandit stunt bike I was on with 125 stickers was not exactly the ideal bike for slow pull offs. (he asked me to show him a wheelie outside the yard). Gotta love Africa.

Last edited:

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
Also something I have been meaning to do, just in case the ADV bug bites like on some others here:icon_lol:

- - - Updated - - -

(he asked me to show him a wheelie outside the yard). Gotta love Africa.
:icon_lol::icon_lol:

Naughty Ian

Gunston Green
Reaction score
I got a bike licence in 1978 (yes, they even had them then). Did learners on a Monday and licence the next Monday. I had a Honda 750 with a Kerker pipe, the licence department and testing blokes were all drooling so the test lasted about 3 mins, once around the block with nobody with me :icon_e_biggrin:

NUMSCH

Former Duchess of Fourways
Reaction score
Well done @Wacker on passing your learners today, hopefully I can do the same next week.

Kronos

Forum Member
Reaction score
NUMSCH - Alot has changed with road signs and road markings, was the only issue I had every 2 years with my learners, I can suggest get the latest k53 book and hammer on the rules of the road and road signs

-Did my license at Marlboro testing station and they plugged me twice every time saying they can make it a pass for some lunch, I ended up going to Florida and doing my test there, I did it on a 1200GS, its nothing hard at all, if you comfortable on the bike you will manage it all with no issues, its a yard test takes about 30min depending how quick the tester is, no road test at all, rear brake is your friend for pull offs :)

Bush Wacker

Forum Member
Reaction score
So the missus passed learners yeaterday, and I passed the bike test today.

So about 2 weeks from nothing ,to full license.

Bush Wacker

Forum Member
Reaction score

So sitting there aboit 5mim before the test, my watch starts beeping like crazy and says "abnormal heart rate detected" :icon_lol:

shark_za

Forum Member
Reaction score
I watched one Youtube video and passed a few years ago. Its that simple.