Blistering

gmac

Forum Member
Reaction score
If you’re tall you may be gripping a bit wide on the bars as well - sometimes if the clutch is mounted to far out on the bar you end up moving “out” to make it easy and so the Palm rubs when it shouldn’t

Anyway sorry to bore you with all this but sometimes small setups make a difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buff

Forum Member
Reaction score
After taking a friends advice and fitting a pair of ProGrip Rally Grips to my 690 for the Tankwa Rally, I'm totally sold on them. I combined them with Palm Savers and after 3 days of racing had zero blisters. I now have them on my other bikes as well. The foam grips look like they won't be durable but they are seriously tough and last forever.

whyme

Forum Member
Reaction score
If you’re tall you may be gripping a bit wide on the bars as well - sometimes if the clutch is mounted to far out on the bar you end up moving “out” to make it easy and so the Palm rubs when it shouldn’t

Anyway sorry to bore you with all this but sometimes small setups make a difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Will play around with setup, I have also been told if bars are too far forward end results is blisters towards center of palm.

- - - Updated - - -

After taking a friends advice and fitting a pair of ProGrip Rally Grips to my 690 for the Tankwa Rally, I'm totally sold on them. I combined them with Palm Savers and after 3 days of racing had zero blisters. I now have them on my other bikes as well. The foam grips look like they won't be durable but they are seriously tough and last forever.

On Enduro bike? holding on would be a mission any who we ride different speed, different terrains.

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
The flex bar weighs like 8 kgs for a start and rubber mounts offer no damping effect which will translate into armpump. The travel can also be adjusted with a high-pressure shock same as you do on air forks!
Doesnt sound like the same Flexx bars I had. You got different compound rubbers to put in. Either way, I wouldnt have bought them as they seem to be a gimmick in my opinion. They were on when I bought the quad.

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
Pump some iron, pull ups.... no gloves... only way to condition your hands and get those palms thick and tough.
I thought the same, but I was wrong. My very first off road race, my mate offered to tape my hands up. Before I could answer my wife said my hands are hard. At the time I was into heavy lifting and all that nonsense. So yes, the hands were hard. After 1 lap when I pulled my gloves off it was bad. I had lots of skin missing. Will check if I can find the photos. Damn that was sore. The logic would tell me that the thick skin pulled loose.

Riding style as most have mentioned makes a huge difference. But, there are times when you just have to grip tighter to hang on, and some races have the type of terrain that within a few hours you will start getting blisters. Its impossible to be completely blister proof.

LupiniPower

Forum Member
Reaction score
I thought the same, but I was wrong. My very first off road race, my mate offered to tape my hands up. Before I could answer my wife said my hands are hard. At the time I was into heavy lifting and all that nonsense. So yes, the hands were hard. After 1 lap when I pulled my gloves off it was bad. I had lots of skin missing. Will check if I can find the photos. Damn that was sore. The logic would tell me that the thick skin pulled loose.

Riding style as most have mentioned makes a huge difference. But, there are times when you just have to grip tighter to hang on, and some races have the type of terrain that within a few hours you will start getting blisters. Its impossible to be completely blister proof.
Dont think I have ever had any issues with blisters, only on the inside of my thumbs after a race, donuts changed that!

NUMSCH

Former Duchess of Fourways
Reaction score

@NaughtyIan rides with these on his 350!

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
Dont think I have ever had any issues with blisters, only on the inside of my thumbs after a race, donuts changed that!
I dont suffer from blistering anymore either. Two reasons mainly, I dont death grip the bars anymore and conditioning.

- - - Updated - - -

Do his hands give them blisters?

Naughty Ian

Gunston Green
Reaction score
I had them on for M2P, they are now in the dustbin - I have standard ones back on and I think they are better. I have never used tape, donuts or other stuff - a good pair of tight fitting gloves does the trick for me :thumbs up:

swazi_matt

Forum Member
Reaction score
My understanding with this is that your should not use moisturizers. All the articles Ive read on getting feet to be harder and get less blistering etc all say no creams etc. On the day you can use a vaseline or glide cream of sorts as the socks sticking is what gives issues. Makes sense to me to not have skin that is over hydrated, this should make it pull loose easier not so?
I'm not saying you need to do it all the time, but what i find is that with time you end up with callouses in the right places TITS is the only thing that will give you those, and you need them, nothing but tape will help friction blisters. but you want to keep those callouses supple and healthy, you don't want them drying out and tearing off - or separating and then you get a blister. This is something i discovered when i rowed at university, and rowing gives you blisters like nothing else (water, friction hard pulling on the oar is a great combination for blisters). use it or don't, may work for some and not for others (if you have ever had to earn brownie points accompanying your better half to clicks or red square you will have seen that we all have diferent types of skin ... or at least that is what they market lol)

the palm savers are a good thing to keep in the bum bag though, especially for multi day events. put them on for the last part of the day when the hands are feeling beaten up

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
I'm not saying you need to do it all the time, but what i find is that with time you end up with callouses in the right places TITS is the only thing that will give you those, and you need them, nothing but tape will help friction blisters. but you want to keep those callouses supple and healthy, you don't want them drying out and tearing off - or separating and then you get a blister. This is something i discovered when i rowed at university, and rowing gives you blisters like nothing else (water, friction hard pulling on the oar is a great combination for blisters). use it or don't, may work for some and not for others (if you have ever had to earn brownie points accompanying your better half to clicks or red square you will have seen that we all have diferent types of skin ... or at least that is what they market lol)

the palm savers are a good thing to keep in the bum bag though, especially for multi day events. put them on for the last part of the day when the hands are feeling beaten up
Some calisthenic guys cut out everything that is hard on their hands and do something with methylated spirits to make their hands supposedly blister proof:33:

I use the risk racing palm savers when I race, social riding nothing. Havent had proper blisters in a long time.