Carnival / Brakpan Mine Dump Area

BigRay

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm looking at getting back into riding trails again after about 10 years out of it (I'm 45 now so still got some left) and looking for places to ride as there seems to be fewer and fewer of them out there.
We used to ride the Carnival Brakpan mine dump area, I was looking at the area on Google maps and it's more built up than before, is it still good to ride?
Any other suggestions as to good places to ride, I've looked at the theads under "Places to ride" but things change in such a short space of time. I will also be keen to ride Mamarock, Wild West, Rhino park as well as Wolwekloof and Erora from what I've been able to find on the net and YouTube. I live in Boksburg but more than willing to drive for good places to ride. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciates. Thanks ya' ll.

Dean_E232

ClutchPump
Reaction score
also give Heidelberg 4 x 4 a go its has some good riding and facilities and only tops 35m from boksburg ,

We used to do outrides from the old spur in boksburg to heidelberg , chimes , the grotte etc , some guys still ride there and still plent of riding , did a few trips during lockdown from my house all the way to heidelberg 4 x4

BigRay

Reaction score
also give Heidelberg 4 x 4 a go its has some good riding and facilities and only tops 35m from boksburg ,

We used to do outrides from the old spur in boksburg to heidelberg , chimes , the grotte etc , some guys still ride there and still plent of riding , did a few trips during lockdown from my house all the way to heidelberg 4 x4
Thanks for the great feedback Dean much appreciated, to heidelberg must be a great ride. I'm glad to hear it's still good riding out there and looking forward to getting back to it. I'm also not far from Sunward and we also used to ride from the house. Good times, all the best.

Rage

Forum Member
Reaction score
There are still a lot of us that ride from helderwyk. We do chimes, grutte & Heidelberg about 120-130km loop. A lot has changed and changes daily with all the zama zama activity. If you plan on doing the ride I strongly suggest joining up with a group that does it frequently.
What bike are you on? Mx bikes boil on our rides.

BigRay

Reaction score
Thanks Rage, I appreciate the advice, will certainly find out when a group are riding and tag along.
I'll be getting back on a KDX 200, it's what I had before and it's all I need, I'm no rock star on 2 wheels, just want to enjoy it.

StefanKTM

Forum Member
Reaction score
Thanks Rage, I appreciate the advice, will certainly find out when a group are riding and tag along.
I'll be getting back on a KDX 200, it's what I had before and it's all I need, I'm no rock star on 2 wheels, just want to enjoy it.
you should buy a KTM, even a older 2008+ 300 XC-W will feel miles better than the old KDX.