Cleaning Bikes Between Moto's- Really ???

Ten Bar

Forum Member
Reaction score
At all the MX meetings I have gone to the bikes get washed and prepped between heats, I would like to know if this is really a necessity. Okes race an off road race for 6 hrs in the thick dust and the bike is fine so why wash and prep bikes after only 15 mins of racing - Am I missing something ??

BULL

The Blue Puta
Reaction score
The track is normally soaked for the qualifying. The mud can probably add 5kg to the weight of the bike. This makes jumping trickier. Muddy chain could also claim some HP, especially in the smaller capacity classes. When the track dry's up we prefer not to wash bikes if at all possible, water in the wrong place can cause a groggy motor for a lap and in 20min heats that is fatal.

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
At all the MX meetings I have gone to the bikes get washed and prepped between heats, I would like to know if this is really a necessity. Okes race an off road race for 6 hrs in the thick dust and the bike is fine so why wash and prep bikes after only 15 mins of racing - Am I missing something ??
Definitely makes a difference. Weight as Bull mentioned. When I raced track I fitted a newly prepped air filter for each heat. The dust is bad. In track literally each hp and second counts.

Enduro you obviously dont have the luxury.

But in the national off road events we used to fit newly prepped filter, clean chain and re lube etc in the de control section. If there are washing facilities we used to wash. Only race I recall though having it was TDR1000.

It feels really good to get on a clean bike, helmet, gloves goggles and whatever else you have for the second half of a race.

Ten Bar

Forum Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bull, makes sense - DT Thanks for nothing other than the sarcasm,

DT_Mania

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks Bull, makes sense - DT Thanks for nothing other than the sarcasm,
What’s your problem, boet? I’m the only person that answered your question. Was your question “What am I missing?” then BULL would have been spot on.