Compressing your forks while transporting

Ten Bar

Forum Member
Reaction score
When you transport a bike using Tie Downs it obviously compress's the fork for a period of time - can this really cause any damage? - Surely NOT- when riding your forks probably go up and down a few thousands times so why will compressing the fork while transporting the bike cause any damage.

swazi_matt

Forum Member
Reaction score
I am also of the belief that they are a waste of time. I have made some and invariably they end up having fallen out anyway, but i also no not believe you need to strap your forks down until they fully compress like i have seen some people do.

My best is a ratchet strap on the rear wheel and then loosely strapped on the front

DangerDave

NotSoDangerous, Dave!
Reaction score
I doubt it does damage, but for me it was always just easier to tie down bikes with 'fork savers'. There was a time when you could dismantle club class trophies for a certain series and use the fork saver so there was no real reason not to try it.

DT_Mania

Super Moderator
Reaction score
En hoeveel fork savers het jy al gebruik as jy bikes op jou bakkie en trailer laai?
Fokol, geen.

I just brought up a bike from 'Maritzburg on Saturday, no monies was wasted on kak like forksavers.

Tman21

Happily Married
Reaction score
Maybe fork "saver" is the incorrect name for the product.

I always use them when im loading 2 bikes on a bakkie or when I load my bike on a trailer. It wont save my forks but it will prevent the bike from moving around during transportation.