'cortisone'

DenDirtbiker

I fall off a lot
Reaction score
I thought inflammation was part of the healing process or am I talking kak?
Quiet riot Stomps. When I shattered my radius the Doc told me to lay off the Cataflam and Myprodol due to the belief that the anti inflammatory properties of the meds hinder the bone from healing.

swazi_matt

Forum Member
Reaction score
Dude if you are coming to these bunch of guys for medical advice you must really be desperate.

As far as I know there are some heavy side effects to using it regularly ( Never used it so dont know them) but I reckon if used in conjucntion with rest ( not while continuing to exercise the way you go on) it probably is very effective

But then again I am an engineer so rather spend the R500 and see a GP me thinks.
doesn't it make bones more brittle? But I am also an engineer so rather ask a GP

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
If it is under banned substances, which it probably is, I believe simple things like asthma inhalers are technically banned, but these rules rarely get applied!

With the juice, the simplest answer is water based ones or orals are normally detectable in the system for about 1 week after stopping, the oil based stuff though can be traced as far as 3 months sometimes!!

BlankieMan

Team ACTNET Rider
Reaction score
If it is under banned substances, which it probably is, I believe simple things like asthma inhalers are technically banned, but these rules rarely get applied!

With the juice, the simplest answer is water based ones or orals are normally detectable in the system for about 1 week after stopping, the oil based stuff though can be traced as far as 3 months sometimes!!

Snake Oil ???????????????????????????

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
Quiet riot Stomps. When I shattered my radius the Doc told me to lay off the Cataflam and Myprodol due to the belief that the anti inflammatory properties of the meds hinder the bone from healing.
Correct. Inflammation would mean more blood flow to that area, the same reason why acupuncture/needling at the physio helps speed up healing. The small pin pricks trigger the systems to send blood to that area, meaning quicker healing.

Shawn

Forum Member
Reaction score
I had pain in my shoulders a couple years back when racing and went to a orthopedic surgeon, he gave me one injection every month for 3 months on one shoulder and then had to stay off it for about 6 months or a year cant remember , but then went and had the other shoulder done, sorted the pain out for about 6 years and now feeling it again in the one shoulder.

I just had a knee op and wanted him to do the painfull shoulder and he said not until the knee is completely healed he cant use cortisone.

LittleG

Forum Member
Reaction score
Correct. Inflammation would mean more blood flow to that area, the same reason why acupuncture/needling at the physio helps speed up healing. The small pin pricks trigger the systems to send blood to that area, meaning quicker healing.
Dry Needling, its just so much fun :icon_lol:
I swear my physio (you know M) is sadistic :icon_lol:

Rooster

Astrids Bizatch
Reaction score
Saw some pics from the Ortho that looked at Astrid's shoulder. He showed the X ray's from a patient using anti inflammatory during a broken bone's healing period.
You could clearly see little strands of "cotton wool" twirling around the bone. He said that this is the effect of over the counter myprodol etc etc.. and it delays healing.

When I has my Scaphoid done I got similar advice, had some PPC instead of tablets and 5 weeks after the pin was inserted I had 100% bone "union" as she called it. Apparently this is a very good result (?)

Long story short, I am very skeptical now of throwing meds at a broken bone problem...

The Colonel

Reaction score
Cortisone is banned in competition and is a powerful steroid when abused. The benefits are huge. If you do use cortisone you are not allowed to compete for 10 days after and if so, need a therapeutic use exemption which has to be applied for via SAIDS locally. Add in corticosteroids and you pretty much cheating straight out.

Kind of worrying that you read here how guys are abusing cortisone like smarties.

StuartC

Forum Member
Reaction score
Cortisone is banned in competition and is a powerful steroid when abused. The benefits are huge. If you do use cortisone you are not allowed to compete for 10 days after and if so, need a therapeutic use exemption which has to be applied for via SAIDS locally. Add in corticosteroids and you pretty much cheating straight out.

Kind of worrying that you read here how guys are abusing cortisone like smarties.
Being a really old ugly fucker he abuses himself on a regular basis as well.

DangerDave

NotSoDangerous, Dave!
Reaction score
In the end I opted for the surgery instead of going with cortisone and physio and it was the correct decision in my case, haven't looked back since or had a single issue.

Had a long chat with gp and with ortho about it, one of them offering a cortisone jab, the other stating that they are given out way too easily.

But nowadays I am trying to inhale every plant's pollen, trucks dust and cars exhaust I can to try get some asthma so a doc can give me some triamcinolone, apparently it's all the rage...

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
In the end I opted for the surgery instead of going with cortisone and physio and it was the correct decision in my case, haven't looked back since or had a single issue.

Had a long chat with gp and with ortho about it, one of them offering a cortisone jab, the other stating that they are given out way too easily.

But nowadays I am trying to inhale every plant's pollen, trucks dust and cars exhaust I can to try get some asthma so a doc can give me some triamcinolone, apparently it's all the rage...
Does that come in an inhaler? One of the guys we did the recent sky run camp with had some strong inhaler with him. Told me its like steroids for the lungs and gives him a major advantage.

Flatdog

Forum Member
Reaction score
sheees- welcome Colonel. havnt seen hide or hair of you in ages. You still training all the moffies in slaap stad?

The Colonel

Reaction score
Hahaha hey bud.

Moved interests alittle but still in the coaching / training environment but not locally with mx except some loyal few. Have guys in GPs and so forth but moved business interests from a training and growth aspect from mx.

Flatdog

Forum Member
Reaction score
you were missing when the Banting saga went down on this forum. would of been fun to see you on that thread :). Anyways - hope you hang around a bit more. US keyboard warriors like nothing more than facts to screw up our opinions

DangerDave

NotSoDangerous, Dave!
Reaction score
the banting thread on the cycling forum is at like 275 pages now...

Bush Wacker

Forum Member
Reaction score
I have pretty bad asthma, and when I was a kid I was prescribed large doses of cortisone tablets for weeks at a time..
I was never prescribed any supplements or anything to help sustain calcium levels in my body. As a result in my teens I broke bones VERY often.
One particularly bad brake was my wrist, which took ages to heal, to help deal with pain they gave my wrist a cortisone injection (full circle I know),
it helped massively, until the cortisones effects wore off, then my wrist was even more damaged than before the injection.

I now stay as far away from the stuff as possible, I take micro doses in an inhaler every 2 days now.

DenDirtbiker

I fall off a lot
Reaction score
I have pretty bad asthma, and when I was a kid I was prescribed large doses of cortisone tablets for weeks at a time..
I was never prescribed any supplements or anything to help sustain calcium levels in my body. As a result in my teens I broke bones VERY often.
One particularly bad brake was my wrist, which took ages to heal, to help deal with pain they gave my wrist a cortisone injection (full circle I know),
it helped massively, until the cortisones effects wore off, then my wrist was even more damaged than before the injection.

I now stay as far away from the stuff as possible, I take micro doses in an inhaler every 2 days now.

I've got a buddy with Asma problems too, Asma se hy kannie ry nie dan kan hy nie ry nie. :icon_lol:

Jokes aside, asthma is a major problem. I know one chap who developed asthma in his late 50's!