Disastrous Wild West ride on Saturday 21 February

Karbools

Forum Member
Reaction score
So I went to Wild West on Saturday morning early to get some practice in before I had to be off to a social engagement with the missus.

Plan was to rock up early, do one, maybe two laps with Wes and some mates, and head home before noon.

Of course things turned out differently :-( I hadn't ridden at WW for more than a year and the route has changed a lot since then.

We went up the first few tech climbs with me trailing a bit, but I was making it well enough. Got to the very top and Wes and buddies were waiting for me. Thanks guys! Off they went again and .... My bike won't start. At all. It's dead. Eventually it sputters to life. I limp along for a couple of meters and it dies again. No luck getting it started this time.

Checked fuel, it pumps like a champ.
Checked air filter, no rag stuffed in airbox.
Checked spark, it sparks like a champ.

Now this is where my technical knowledge ended and my very long day started. Realising that the guys in front cannot turn around, I decided my only option was to push the bike out and hope at some point somebody stops to help out.

When I was properly finished and I had actually left the bike behind (to be fetched later - or not at all) Raggyshark stopped and asked what was wrong and how could he help. Long story short, he basically ruined his own day to help me out for many hours. What a good man and a true gentleman :) And a downright nice guy to boot.

Eventually we towed the bike as far as a bike can possibly be towed taking the terrain into account. We quickly got to a spot where we simply could not tow or push the bike any further. The only option left was to venture straight down the mountain through the veld to at least get the bike into the valley below.

After a lot of cursing, sweating and moaning we reached the valley at the bottom of the koppie. Another kind soul came past (I was so tired I didn’t get your name. Sorry! - at least I bought you a beer) who offered to tow me back to the pits via a back road around the mountain.

Eventually made it back to the pits, bike in tow. Thanks for all the help guys, I was ready to leave my bike on the mountain and just write it off as very expensive school fees!!

Raggyshark, I owe you at least a hundred more beers. Hope to see you on the trails soon!

Bike is at the shop - waiting for a verdict, holding thumbs.

I think a trip to RAD for a lekker trade-in is on the cards for me...

Cheers.

Karbools

Last edited:

NUMSCH

Former Duchess of Fourways
Reaction score
Awesome to hear, nice one raggyshark and unknown!

Chukudeer

Forum Member
Reaction score
Eish, not nice. Good on the gents that helped you out. So any feed back on the problem?

Karbools

Forum Member
Reaction score
Eish, not nice. Good on the gents that helped you out. So any feed back on the problem?
Nope, not yet. Hoping it's something sufficiently serious that cannot be fixed on the trail, but super cheap to rectify nonetheless !

Francois M

Wild West Enduro Track
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your ordeal.Try carrying a phone in your bumbag and if you have an issue call me ,our staff will recover your bike faster than you could ride it back , I guarantee you that we"ve done it plenty.

Karbools

Forum Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your ordeal.Try carrying a phone in your bumbag and if you have an issue call me ,our staff will recover your bike faster than you could ride it back , I guarantee you that we"ve done it plenty.
Hey Francois M. Sweet, will do that next time. I did actually have a phone with me, I just didn't realise I could phone a friend :)

Chukudeer

Forum Member
Reaction score
I can vouch for that, always take Francois or Morgans number, the will get you out of there in no time :35:

Paul-OSC

Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi Francois M, can you PM your cell to me please, or post it publicly if you don't mind.

Francois M

Wild West Enduro Track
Reaction score
Shot Bud ,we try and make your riding experience as hassle free as possible hence we carry basic spares / tools and employ staff that can help you in the case of a breakdown.

Rooster

Astrids Bizatch
Reaction score
Ja Francois and his team are always there to help - here is my Husky enjoying the sunset after losing my kickstarter on Mordor. I found the damn thing half way down the koppie (unfortunately) and was able to ride back, but the Wild West team did not abandon me despite the late hour.

If you are planning to leave your bike somewhere, the least you can do is give it a good view :)

koppie1.jpg

shabsta

F800GS ALL THE WAY
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi five for Francois!

Wazi

Forum Member
Reaction score
Well done to the guys who leant a hand!

One thing I have seen in the off-road community is that every one is always willing to help as we have all been there!

Two weeks ago I waited for a mate on the heildelburg off ramp with my bike on the trailor. 30 cars must have passed me but 4 of those cars where other guys with there bikes! All 4 guys stopped to ask if I need help!

We gotta keep it that way, keep our riding community strong and always lend a hand as you don't know when you may need one!!!

High five to all the helpers out there 👌