Votes: 21 45.7%
  • Other shelter / Street

Votes: 13 28.3%

• Total voters

Bargain_Hunter

I give Quaddies a bad name
Reaction score
Mutt 1:
Rules the household. Beeeatch of note....

Mutt 2:
Farm girl, only comes to me, hates anyone else and bites without warning. I love her!

Mutt 3 is too fast for my camera skill...

Mutt 4:
Died of cancer, SPCA rescue. Had him a few months. Followed me closer than my shadow

DangerDave

NotSoDangerous, Dave!
Reaction score
Also guys if you gonna buy from a breeder, make sure you are getting working dogs not show dogs. For example a working jack russel is far from the long wheel based pet shop editions...

Ren

Forum Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I never had my own pooch cos of space and lifestyle. But im moving in with swambo and we are moving into a big house. So I know have "insta-family" and space so in other words a loving home for a proper mutt.

I was looking for an ugly 3/4 dog and adopting was the only option. Some research lead me to the Woodrock animal shelter (check them out they do a good job)

Always loved the brown brindle look so Grace +-2.5y old Africanis x Staff stood out by a long shot. Ive spent bout an hour with her, will check in again this friday and then on Sunday take wife's stoep kakers to meet and greet.
Man, thats awesome Tman.
Best addition to the family.

Ren

Forum Member
Reaction score
This is my little legend.
Found out that she has cancer a couple of weeks ago and despite a couple of surgeries etc it hasnt helped. 2 years of age.

Bargain_Hunter

Reaction score
This is my little legend.
Found out that she has cancer a couple of weeks ago and despite a couple of surgeries etc it hasnt helped. 2 years of age.

Strongs mate. I know your pain.

Lost 3 already due to that fucked up disease. 2 x Staffies and the SPCA dagg that we had for a few months. Those operations are moer expensive, we considered to do the operations and radiation. Vet Oncologist said he's old and prob won't pull through. Was a sad day in our home when we left from the Oncologist, but we kept and eye on him and had to make that crappy decision before he lost his sparkle.

NUMSCH

Former Duchess of Fourways
Reaction score
Having spent a fortune on vet bills over the last 20+ years, I now have my 6 pets on pet insurance and so far they have covered everything from inoculations to operations. R250 per pet a month provided they are less than 8 years old!

Bargain_Hunter

Reaction score
Having spent a fortune on vet bills over the last 20+ years, I now have my 6 pets on pet insurance and so far they have covered everything from inoculations to operations. R250 per pet a month provided they are less than 8 years old!
Awesome!

I have noticed that some thorough bred daggs are more maint than scrapyard mutts. As long as the eat good food and get annual jabs, most mutts should be fine.

Ren

Forum Member
Reaction score
Strongs mate. I know your pain.

Lost 3 already due to that fucked up disease. 2 x Staffies and the SPCA dagg that we had for a few months. Those operations are moer expensive, we considered to do the operations and radiation. Vet Oncologist said he's old and prob won't pull through. Was a sad day in our home when we left from the Oncologist, but we kept and eye on him and had to make that crappy decision before he lost his sparkle.
Thanks Bargain Hunter.
So broken about it. She is like our kid and the missus is beyond broken. I reckon she loves the dog more than me :icon_lol:
Cancer...what do i say. She had a grade 3 malignant mast cell tumour. Like you said, a couple of ops and treatments and plenty moolah later and unfortunately no progress.

Very tough decision to make and to make sure that they don't suffer.

Did you make use of any palliative treatment closer to the end?

- - - Updated - - -

Pet insurance helped to a point but the one i used has an annual threshold.

Bargain_Hunter

Reaction score
Thanks Bargain Hunter.
So broken about it. She is like our kid and the missus is beyond broken. I reckon she loves the dog more than me :icon_lol:
Cancer...what do i say. She had a grade 3 malignant mast cell tumour. Like you said, a couple of ops and treatments and plenty moolah later and unfortunately no progress.

Very tough decision to make and to make sure that they don't suffer.

Did you make use of any palliative treatment closer to the end?
As callous as it may sound, pull plug sooner, rather than later. You will save the dagg plenty pain and dignity and your emotional state will be less scarred.

nope, nothing would have worked, pulled plug soon after his diagnosis. He was too far gone, found out that he had an operation, just before we adopted him. But was not aware of the cancer (no capital C because the disease does not deserve that respect) when we took him in.

Dude, sounds like we married to same person... Same shit here, mutts get more love than I do :icon_lol:

DangerDave

NotSoDangerous, Dave!
Reaction score
Awesome!

I have noticed that some thorough bred daggs are more maint than scrapyard mutts. As long as the eat good food and get annual jabs, most mutts should be fine.
Purebred show dogs are soft as hell. There are some breeds now that the stud dogs can't reproduce naturally so really you are buying a useless animal, survival of the fittest being thrown out the window.

If you not going to adopt, get yourself registered bred working dogs and they are tough as nails and bred to perform a function and be tough, not inbred soft as shyte out of puppy mills. Google dogs breeding over last 100 years and you will see how certain breeds are ruined.

Also note proper breeders have to take a dog back if you can no longer want it or can look after it, which would stop the SPCA being so full if people only bought from proper breeders or adopted.

Ren

Forum Member
Reaction score
As callous as it may sound, pull plug sooner, rather than later. You will save the dagg plenty pain and dignity and your emotional state will be less scarred.

True, keeping a close eye and vet trips weekly to assess how she is doing. The sparkle is still there but i think that you still want that when you make the tough decision.

nope, nothing would have worked, pulled plug soon after his diagnosis. He was too far gone, found out that he had an operation, just before we adopted him. But was not aware of the cancer (no capital C because the disease does not deserve that respect) when we took him in.

That's a tough one

Dude, sounds like we married to same person... Same shit here, mutts get more love than I do :icon_lol:
Hahaha true story

Ren

Forum Member
Reaction score
Ren

Do some reading into canabis oil treatment :thumbs up:
Yeah AP, she has been on it for since we found the first tumor.
It has helped a bit and she snores like a monster at night because of it.

Must say it has been better than the other meds she has been on.

Tman21

Happily Married
Reaction score
Day 3 after I collected my pup! She was petrified the 1st day but wow she is just amazing.
Potty trained after 1 incident indoors, she walks on the leash like its second nature and she doesnt need to be restrained when the gate opens and closes.