First Race Advice: Rover Winterberg National Enduro

Siddo

Forum Member
Reaction score
Howzit all,

I'm riding the WOW class on Saturday - as the title suggests, this will be my first race of any kind. Any tips, pointers, do's and don'ts based on your first race experiences (both pre and during the event) would be appreciated.

My fitness is the best it has ever been, which is a good thing as it will need to make up for my lack of riding skills.

Needless to say that I am k@kking myself but I promised myself 1 year ago that I would be doing this race and do it, I will.

Cheers

Chadvdw67

Forum Member
Reaction score
Agreed, start slow, build up to a nice flowing rythm, and just have fun, always see guys go out balls to the wall at the beginning and then 10 minutes later are too tired to ride

fubar

Forum Member
Reaction score
Make sure you release the chocolate hostage BEFORE the race starts!

Siddo

Forum Member
Reaction score
Shot guys. I am going to try my best to enjoy it:thumbs up: As for taking it slow - I don't think that will be a problem :icon_e_wink:

- - - Updated - - -

Make sure you release the chocolate hostage BEFORE the race starts!
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: This is a very real fear!

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
Dont tamper with any set up type stuff on your bike before the race. If you fit new tyres, give them a shake down ride. Think its just something that makes me comfortable, Ive never liked racing on brand new shiny hairy tyres.

Something Ive recently learned, a new mousse sucks. Mines 4 rides old and still kak hard. With the next tyre fitment Im drilling holes in it. Compared to my old hand me down mousse the traction difference is huge.

Spend some time in the garage going over the bike and checking bolts etc, it instills confidence and you wont have anything bugging you in your head.

Make sure all your kit, food, fuel, tools etc are all ready a day before.

Good luck:thumbs up:

Naughty Ian

Gunston Green
Reaction score
Also what you could do is not take any advice from the lads on here at all, do totally opposite to what they suggest, fit a thumb throttle and you will be like Jarvis by September this year :icon_e_surprised::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Siddo

Forum Member
Reaction score
Dont tamper with any set up type stuff on your bike before the race. If you fit new tyres, give them a shake down ride. Think its just something that makes me comfortable, Ive never liked racing on brand new shiny hairy tyres.

Something Ive recently learned, a new mousse sucks. Mines 4 rides old and still kak hard. With the next tyre fitment Im drilling holes in it. Compared to my old hand me down mousse the traction difference is huge.

Spend some time in the garage going over the bike and checking bolts etc, it instills confidence and you wont have anything bugging you in your head.

Make sure all your kit, food, fuel, tools etc are all ready a day before.

Good luck:thumbs up:
Thanks Oz, appreciate the advice:thumbs up:

Siddo

Forum Member
Reaction score
Also what you could do is not take any advice from the lads on here at all, do totally opposite to what they suggest, fit a thumb throttle and you will be like Jarvis by September this year :icon_e_surprised::icon_lol::icon_lol:
:33: ...Jarvis you say?

swazi_matt

Forum Member
Reaction score
when the going gets tough forget the big picture and focus on visible goals. eg ride to the next flattish part and have a drink and rest and then tackle the next 20m

StuartC

Forum Member
Reaction score
The Winterberg as a first race oh dear you gonna die !!

Siddo

Forum Member
Reaction score
when the going gets tough forget the big picture and focus on visible goals. eg ride to the next flattish part and have a drink and rest and then tackle the next 20m
Shot SM, I’ll do this. Appreciate the input.

Siddo

Forum Member
Reaction score
The Winterberg as a first race oh dear you gonna die !!
StuartC Just to add to this, WOW has to do two 34km loops. I plan on only doing 1 loop and then seeing how I feel. The goal is 1 loop - 2 and a finish would be a huge bonus. I have a fair idea of the loop and what I’m going to be in for so I’m setting very conservative goals.

Leisure Larry

Forum Member
Reaction score
Siddo - 1 lap at a time bud and as the guys say enjoy it - will end up being great (used to tackle the WFO's back in the early 2000's like that and always had a good time) Enjoy Bud

Siddo

Forum Member
Reaction score
Siddo - 1 lap at a time bud and as the guys say enjoy it - will end up being great (used to tackle the WFO's back in the early 2000's like that and always had a good time) Enjoy Bud
Shot bud, I’ll try to remember to breathe and smile :icon_e_biggrin: I’m definitely going to try to have fun.