Ford / Mazda / Other Xtra cab Supa cab

Tman21

Happily Married
Reaction score
Yeah, see if you can find a low mileage 3.0! Best bang for your buck!
If I understand correct you get the 2.2 only in a baseline/workhorse and a tad bit steep for 270k new.
If it was not for the amount of KM I do I would be driving a 3.0 Supercab!

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
Ive had my 2.5Td for years and no problems approaching 300 kkm now and we just pulled the gear box to do 3rd and 4th syncros. While its out we will obviously do clutch, skim fly wheel and replace the main bearing. Most guys I know with Fords or Mazdas are all happy, but the new 3.2 has had issues, could be due to the fact that there are simply more of them out there. They knocked Toyota off their 20 year pedestal over the last 4 months.

BigMike

Medium Mike
Reaction score
i personally think they under engineered the clutch, clutch and box on the 3.2 ... that bastard motor develops tons of power

Tman21

Happily Married
Reaction score
BigMike said:
i personally think they under engineered the clutch, clutch and box on the 3.2 ... that bastard motor develops tons of power

Someone told me that they slapped a 3.2 on the dyno next to the 2.2 and the results were devastating.
3.2 only made like 103KW on the wheels which is piss poor against a claimed 147kw or somewhere around there?

Freerider

Forum Member
Reaction score
In some parts of the country it is,

ford 3 Liter, a quad , Croks, Short PT rakbie broek and sommer n kep van die werk :D :D :D

Tman21

Happily Married
Reaction score
I just love the back track in that vid.
EDIT: ive found a nice vid from tug of war on tar

[youtube:2vqcb8py]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ8dIuJoKFw[/youtube:2vqcb8py]

Francois M

Wild West Enduro Track
Reaction score
I could not buy anything but another Ford after my last 2.5tdi gave me over 600000km"s .The 2.2 has plenty of power .I think the Amarok is way more comfortable ,powerful but also alot more expensive .I would buy the Double Cab though ,price difference is not that much ,and you can take the family along.

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
Tman21 said:
#BigMike said:

Someone told me that they slapped a 3.2 on the dyno next to the 2.2 and the results were devastating.
3.2 only made like 103KW on the wheels which is piss poor against a claimed 147kw or somewhere around there?
The small 2L amarok runs away from the 3.2 ranger on a straight drag, not by margins, by far :shock:

Tman21

Happily Married
Reaction score
Jip, and the new 8 speed 132kw spec has not had any turbo issues! Ive seen one with 370K on the clock, not one turbo or injector replaced.

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
Tman21 said:
Jip, and the new 8 speed 132kw spec has not had any turbo issues! Ive seen one with 370K on the clock, not one turbo or injector replaced.
That's a good track record then so far. The rangers have had numerous problems following the gents on the 4x4 forums

adamktm

Forum Member
Reaction score
Francois M said:
I could not buy anything but another Ford after my last 2.5tdi gave me over 600000km"s .The 2.2 has plenty of power .I think the Amarok is way more comfortable ,powerful but also alot more expensive .I would buy the Double Cab though ,price difference is not that much ,and you can take the family along.
If you buy a DC you can't claim the VAT back like you can on a SC or EC

shabsta

F800GS ALL THE WAY
Staff member
Reaction score
Tman21 said:
[youtube:xxlj9g6r]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J0KcLrOjzk[/youtube:xxlj9g6r]
what a kak review, what they dont show is the 3 turbo changes on the amakuk they had to do between laps......

Tman21

Happily Married
Reaction score
Ive not heard of one amarok that popped a turbo! All the hype began when the media and magazines questioned whether the small engine with 2 turbo's will survive? Think it even got the award for towing vehicle of the year 2013 or 2014

Drunkard

Forum Member
Reaction score
I have an amarok with 160000km on it and hav'nt had a problem with it, my friend with his new ford ranger 3.2 has had the entire motor replaced twice and they still tried to get him to sign a non disclosure. the 2.2 ford doesnt seem to have as many issues. the original issue with the amarok was the cluthch flywheel on the single turbo 90kw models which they replaced with the bigger one under warranty and there havnt been any issues since.

Oh btw there is a facelift ranger coming at the end of the year to look like the new everest and a new navara.
Id hang on and get a good deal on a pre facelift model.

Flipped Out

Forum Member
Reaction score
The Amarok 132kW motor is exactly the same one as in the Transporter. I have no idea how it won tow car of the year and why guys rave about them because Jedi and I both complain bitterly about where they have hidden the horsepower in the bus.. Towing our box trailer top speed is around 140 on level ground and fuel consumption goes to about 17l/100km...