Fork seals

Boomstomp

Forum Member
Reaction score
So took the bikes out yesterday for the first time since lock-down and what a blast we had, rusty AF but was good fun. Im amazed at how well my wife is doing on the new CRF125 compared to the TTR230 she had.

Any case back to the reason for the post, after a bit of riding I saw that my one fork seal started leaking, now normally I would not ask the question but how long should they last?

I had the forks serviced last year around the middle of the year as the bike was already 11 years old without much riding but they did start leaking. From there I had my back issues from about August and did not ride much, then this year I did a few rides before lock-down and that was it. In my mind they should still be good. What can the reason be for them to start leaking so quickly.

I never pull the suspension in when I load them on the trailer and Im not doing any funny jumps or anything.

DenDirtbiker

I fall off a lot
Reaction score
Check if you damaged the stanchion tube on the fork. Sometimes my seals last months, sometimes days. After today I'm surprised I don't have leaking seals. Managed to bang both sides pretty hard doing the Time Trial route that Enduro World are hosting at Heidelberg 4x4.

Tman21

Happily Married
Reaction score
@Boomstomp, ive owned and flogged 100's of bikes. Ive seen modern bikes with fresh seals start leaking after a couple of months of no use. But there are many variables. A service does not include dust seals generally and if your dust seals are 12 years old they could very well be the reason your oil seals only lasted a year or so. Fresh seals with bad dust seals can be ruined in just a hand full of rides if you have lots of mud and dirt.

adamktm

Forum Member
Reaction score
Check if you damaged the stanchion tube on the fork. Sometimes my seals last months, sometimes days. After today I'm surprised I don't have leaking seals. Managed to bang both sides pretty hard doing the Time Trial route that Enduro World are hosting at Heidelberg 4x4.
Are you using the useless standard fork guards?
Protech for the win👍🏻

Boomstomp

Forum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses, gonna visit Tman next weekend to sort it out

Naughty Ian

Gunston Green
Reaction score
It doesn't have fork guards
Has it got shit standard mud flaps on or did you install aftermarket ones.
We are a group of about 20 riders, and Dean, I don't think one of us have got aftermarket fork shrouds on and we do a lot of rocks.
I'll check Wednesday and tell you exactly. I think the standard ones are fine, but every man to himself

adamktm

Forum Member
Reaction score
Those new MX style fork guards are wank. If you turn your handle bars to the right and look how much of the left stanchion is exposed then I’m surprised you guys haven’t got a single scratch on one of the 40 forks.
My riding group is a lot smaller and 2 of them have had to replace the fork stanchion and they are way better riders than you and I!

Naughty Ian

Gunston Green
Reaction score
Those new MX style fork guards are wank. If you turn your handle bars to the right and look how much of the left stanchion is exposed then I’m surprised you guys haven’t got a single scratch on one of the 40 forks.
My riding group is a lot smaller and 2 of them have had to replace the fork stanchion and they are way better riders than you and I!
Maybe not, cause yours and mine aren't scratched :icon_lol: :33:

adamktm

Forum Member
Reaction score
I have Pro tech fork guards on😂😂
Fitted them after my 2nd ride on my 17 where I dragged the fork down a rock and split the seal.

adamktm

Forum Member
Reaction score
You can’t say this was a good idea by the cost saving white coats

B85A2AC1-636C-4937-93BA-3F1BB6FABE31.jpeg
vs the pro tech fork guard

C1F3DD60-B074-46A9-9402-6CD7792A66D1.jpeg

Rossnij

Forum Member
Reaction score
@Boomstomp, ive owned and flogged 100's of bikes. Ive seen modern bikes with fresh seals start leaking after a couple of months of no use. But there are many variables. A service does not include dust seals generally and if your dust seals are 12 years old they could very well be the reason your oil seals only lasted a year or so. Fresh seals with bad dust seals can be ruined in just a hand full of rides if you have lots of mud and dirt.
Thanks for all the responses, gonna visit Tman next weekend to sort it out
Good. 💪