Garmin Help- Etrex 30

BULL

The Blue Puta
Reaction score
why ? to be honest could do with a brannas , not in a good place at the moment , but maybe a captain rather .....
Let Ian stick you for a few rums and a million dollar steak.

Ash_

Forum Member
Reaction score
is it not a memory problem ? , GPX files arre huge compared to GDB files that Garmen usually uses

GPX files are basically files any GPS can read but are far larger , I noticed on my Etrex 10 tghat ig I load GBD tracks i can load a few of them without a problem , as soon as i Load 2 GPX files of a Heidelberg ride , i load two and get a memory warning , then it stops tracking and have to to keep stopping and pushing the back button . When last did you update your GPS ?

down load the Garmen express app to update it .

I have this problem sometimes too when my tripper pipe hits the gps joystick , glue a smallish thick washer around the joystick but not to small that you cant move the joystick , but my last problem was solved on the one GPS by no longer using GPX routes and upodated the software
Dont think its a memory issue as still have plenty internal space after loading, though will try the other format on the next ride and see if it makes any difference, assuming its not a hardware issue of me hitting buttons. use Base camp and think updated it last year sometime, hasnt popped up with a new update since.

J37

Forum Member
Reaction score
Dont think its a memory issue as still have plenty internal space after loading, though will try the other format on the next ride and see if it makes any difference, assuming its not a hardware issue of me hitting buttons. use Base camp and think updated it last year sometime, hasnt popped up with a new update since.
Not sure what Dean is referring to when he says memory, but I think he is referring to "RAM" (assuming GPS' have RAM)...

So, just general processing power to open up the actual file. As you've got the E30 I have a feeling its nothing to do with tracks/ram etc. and you just bumping buttons.

Dean_E232

ClutchPump
Reaction score
Not sure what Dean is referring to when he says memory, but I think he is referring to "RAM" (assuming GPS' have RAM)...

So, just general processing power to open up the actual file. As you've got the E30 I have a feeling its nothing to do with tracks/ram etc. and you just bumping buttons.
etrex 10 must have a ram how where else would tracks and data be stored ?

Garmin eTrex 10 is a handheld GPS device. It has monochrome display, supports loadable maps and runs on 2 AA batteries. eTrex 10 supports both GPS and GLONASS. It has 8MB built-in storage and does not accept external storage of any kind.

the etrex on the other hand is as follows : -

It has 1.7GB built-in storage and accepts micro SDHC card up to 8GB. Maps can be placed in the internal storage or on the SD card.

Dean_E232

ClutchPump
Reaction score
mine also showed plenty of memory when connected to base camp and after tracks downloaded , but still got the message when i disconnected from the computer and wanted to load a track that memory was low

Ash_

Forum Member
Reaction score
See from various platforms its an issue, Garmin themselves even said to stick something over the joystick to stop the accidental touches.

Tman21

Happily Married
Reaction score
If I touch the little joystick on mine it throws co-ords at the top which then tells me ive done the obvious.

Another issue on a loaded map is that when you pass the timing map it kinda freezes. Happened quite a bit at the lowvelds last year. Then basically you just have to start a new loop/track and reload the same one

NUMSCH

Former Duchess of Fourways
Reaction score
At Madalas this weekend they told us to load the map and turn GPS off before crossing the timing mat!