Gas Gas Rebuild

booth

toll
Reaction score
So I started with a 2011 EC300R that had seen its fair share of hard riding and due to the engine needing to be rebuilt, I decided to build the bike from the ground up again and get it looking the way I wanted:

When I got it:

The Silencer was dinged to pieces, rims scratched, plastics etc looking tired.

Bike completely disassembled

Redid the frame in White, guncoated swingarm silver (was black), stripped black anodising off of rims and polished and clear coat anodised, anodised the fork tubes, gun coated spokes black.
Redid the motor, new piston, con rod and all bearings replaced in motor, new reed valves, new seals and bushings in forks, swingarm and linkage bearings, head stock bearings etc, new wheel bearings and new brake pads all round.

Assembly in progress and elbow grease in getting the header pipe to look good again, also fitted new pegs and radiator braces.

The silencer posed a problem, did not want to spend over 2k on a new unit only for me to drop the bike and ding it to pieces again, so I played around with proper carbon fiber cloth and it came out well I think:

Then new graphics kit from Stevie at DPMX

Plastics fitted

Then finally all assembled:

Small things had to be still done,swingarm guards fitted, Cycra hand guards fitted, Hyde Bash plate etc.

Had a small few issues like clutch master cylinder leaking etc, but all sorted and bike running like a dream now.
All in all, happy how it turned out and with the way it looks.

Split-Pin

Forum Member
Reaction score
lekker bud ------------
booth
pull in next week and we can assemble my katoom,,, i promise - no 2am gearbox reassembly wizard're needed.

then we hit H-Burg to run it in :thumbs up:

Herminator

Forum Member
Reaction score
Very nice, good Job, with the way I am riding at the moment a full rebuild might be in my future also

swazi_matt

Forum Member
Reaction score
looks good.

I am busy with the same on mine at the moment, but not doing the cosmetics, just engine, bearings, drive and suspension.

AfricaOffroad

Forum Member
Reaction score
That's a proper rebuild, well done.

Tell us more about how you did the carbon cover on the exhaust please

Kronos

Forum Member
Reaction score
Very nice rebuild, really like the silencer cover, good idea there

Enjoy the new old bike :)

booth

toll
Reaction score
That's a proper rebuild, well done.

Tell us more about how you did the carbon cover on the exhaust please
Basically it was just "carbon skinning", I pushed as many of the dents out of the silencer as I could (I should have taken more time and made it totally dentless) and then sanded it down completely, cut the carbon fiber cloth to size, applied a base coat to the silencer, wrapped it completely, let the base coat dry and then started the top clear coat epoxy layers, the sanded it all down using 100, 180, 300, 600 etc and ending with 1200 grit water paper, sanding it down carefully until it was smooth, this was the hardest part for me to get right as it took patience and feel.
Then used a dremel to sand off the excess carbon fiber and then just drilled the holes and finished it off with a buffing compound.

Silencer before dings taken out.

Dents mostly out and sanded.

That is the shaping part, I forgot to take pics while sanding etc, but am sure you get the just of it?

Chukudeer

Forum Member
Reaction score
Naaaa, GasGas worth nothing now a day, I will save you a lot of trouble and take it of your hands, I won't even charge you too much for the service.......:icon_lol:

Very nice job :thumbs up: Well worth all the effort :thumbs up:

GDA1

Forum Member
Reaction score
well done, awesome work, those fork tubes has peeked my interest.