GASGAS and KTM

Naughty Ian

Gunston Green
Reaction score
I do admit that the new KTM's with the counter balanced cranks are very smooth but the Sherco vibrates no more than the 2016 KTM's and earlier. Having said that I honestly don't even notice it. I can only imagine that by weighting the crank it robs HP because in a drag race a Sherco leaves the KTM for dead!

Jedi, I see where you are going. How many people buy an enduro bike to do a drag race?

Ten Bar

Forum Member
Reaction score
Sherco loooong way off? Are you kidding me, something tells me you have never even sat on a Sherco!
Please Sir, dont soil your pants :baby:. If you read what I wrote I said they cant even compete with Husky- I did not mean in quality or performance I was referring to UNITS SOLD.(I bet only the Husky side sell more units in a month than Sherco do in a year) We all know Sherco make a damn fine bike but there is no comparison to the size of Sherco and the KTM/ Husky/ Gas Gas empire. TBH if i had to buy a new bike today it would be a Sherco, only reason I love KYB and a Carb :icon_e_smile:

booth

toll
Reaction score
Jedi, I see where you are going. How many people buy an enduro bike to do a drag race?
Well getting the holeshot in any race, be it enduro or mx is half the battle won is it not?

Last edited:

Bush Wacker

Forum Member
Reaction score
Please Sir, dont soil your pants :baby:. If you read what I wrote I said they cant even compete with Husky- I did not mean in quality or performance I was referring to UNITS SOLD.(I bet only the Husky side sell more units in a month than Sherco do in a year) We all know Sherco make a damn fine bike but there is no comparison to the size of Sherco and the KTM/ Husky/ Gas Gas empire. TBH if i had to buy a new bike today it would be a Sherco, only reason I love KYB and a Carb :icon_e_smile:
ereytime I ride a husky, I wonder why anyone would buy a wider, fatter heavier ktm:icon_rolleyes: same same, just heavier

Naughty Ian

Gunston Green
Reaction score
Well getting the holeshot in any race, be it enduro or mx is half the battle won is it not?
Depends, some people like to not be in front, but follow someone and take them at the end. I don't think half the battle is won if you get a holeshot, but that's only my opinion

booth

toll
Reaction score
Depends, some people like to not be in front, but follow someone and take them at the end. I don't think half the battle is won if you get a holeshot, but that's only my opinion
Fair enough, depends on the competitor I suppose, for me the only danger in KTM swallowing up all the brands, is that if they have no competition in the 2T enduro market, what reason do they have to innovate? Heaven forbid the day they have no serious competition, it could end up like the the current YZ250's the models don't evolve cause they dont need to?

Chukudeer

Forum Member
Reaction score
One would have to wait and see what KTM does with the company....it’s a lot like Tata taking over Land Rover....one company has money from selling crap vehicles to the ignorant masses that don’t know any better and the other has proper vehicles with starters that work and decent suspension and offroad capability ....:33::icon_lol::icon_lol:

DangerDave

NotSoDangerous, Dave!
Reaction score
One would have to wait and see what KTM does with the company....it’s a lot like Tata taking over Land Rover....one company has money from selling crap vehicles to the ignorant masses that don’t know any better and the other has proper vehicles with starters that work and decent suspension and offroad capability ....:33::icon_lol::icon_lol:
Out of Tata and land rover I am trying to figure out which of them isn't selling shit vehicles to the ignorant masses? IMO they both are selling crap vehicles, Land Rover has just been doing it for longer and has an offroad( sandton curb) focus...

Chukudeer

Forum Member
Reaction score
Out of Tata and land rover I am trying to figure out which of them isn't selling shit vehicles to the ignorant masses? IMO they both are selling crap vehicles, Land Rover has just been doing it for longer and has an offroad( sandton curb) focus...
Ezacly like KTM and Husky....:icon_lol:

Naughty Ian

Gunston Green
Reaction score
Dave, I'm a fairly level headed bloke - if all I had was a Land Rover and a GasGas, suicide would be on my mind

Pom17

I like trying to get my 4T to lift the front. Soon
Reaction score
Or, look at it in another light - they bought another brand before they closed down due to financial trouble and kept a factory of people in jobs and got some decent tax rebates :thumbs up:
Hear what you are saying, just wish they did not have to kill the brand. The interview I watched sounded like the GasGas will be a cheaper KTM, which is such a shame.

This is truly a sad day, KTM think their customers are ignorant. The only reason they keep getting away with this is they offer an almost unbeatable package - whether its KTM, Husky and now a Gas Gas (everyone knows its the same bike in just another colour) there is simply no one else to compete with them, OK I will give it to Sherco as they are trying but they have a loooong way to go to even compete with just Husky never mind the other 2.

The only answer to end this KTM dominance is for the fkn lazy ignorant Japs to see the light, get off their ass's and build a similar product that will exceed the package KTM offers. Once this happens KTM will begin to worry. How hard can it be for Yamaha, Honda, Kawa or Suzuki to bring back a 2T Motor and then take what they have and "Properly" Endurorize it. They have engineers , they have all the tooling and machinery available but not 1 of them can produce a proper Enduro bike. Honestly I think Stefan Pierer (sp) must sit at his desk peering over his empire and laugh as to how dumb the Jap manufacturers are.
Sherco is making huge strides in the rest of the world, just look at the 8 man enduro team they are putting together with Webb in the USA. That is one massive commitment.
In RSA they are moving a bit slower. Do however think that if they continue on this trend that they will make it big here too.

Share AdamKTMs sentiments though. Waiting in anticipation to see what happens with the next launch, fingers crossed they only add the balancer.

I have got used to the smoothness and when I think it’s vibrating too much I hop on an older Ktm and it clears it up very quickly. They haven’t weighted the crank, the balancer shaft spins in the opposite direction as the crank to smooth it out. It’s been in car and super bike engines for decades.

I agree the Sherco is a nice looking bike, but it’s French :icon_e_confused:and when they finally get fuel injection and a balancer shaft they will be on the back foot again because KTM would have other new idea by then. Also adding more electronics to a French vehicle will only make it unreliable :icon_lol:

Even TM has fuel injection now.......Italian electronics:icon_eek:

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:
Just this morning I told my wife I wish I was brave enough to buy a 90 series Landy

Pom17

I like trying to get my 4T to lift the front. Soon
Reaction score
Can only imagine what will be possible if we eventually see a Jap 2T enduro bike :clit:

BULL

The Blue Puta
Reaction score
This is truly a sad day, KTM know their customers are ignorant. The only reason they keep getting away with this is they offer an almost unbeatable package - whether its KTM, Husky and now a Gas Gas (everyone knows its the same bike in just another colour) there is simply no one else to compete with them, OK I will give it to Sherco as they are trying but they have a loooong way to go to even compete with just Husky never mind the other 2.

The only answer to end this KTM dominance is for the fkn lazy ignorant Japs to see the light, get off their ass's and build a similar product that will exceed the package KTM offers. Once this happens KTM will begin to worry. How hard can it be for Yamaha, Honda, Kawa or Suzuki to bring back a 2T Motor and then take what they have and "Properly" Endurorize it. They have engineers , they have all the tooling and machinery available but not 1 of them can produce a proper Enduro bike. Honestly I think Stefan Pierer (sp) must sit at his desk peering over his empire and laugh as to how dumb the Jap manufacturers are.
Fixed.