GasGas in RSA ?

scotty606

Forum Member
Reaction score
Afternoon chaps

I know our Enduro market is very brand loyal & difficult for the smaller brands to break into the market properly.

What would it take, in your opinion to get GasGas going in the country?

I've been offered the distribution & pondering if it'll be worth the effort & money. The new bikes are fantastic & have raving review with the new KYB suspension.

Rand is very weak against euro so that's already against the bikes.

What would a realistic starting price be?
Which models? Full Enduro with lights or xc without?

Would appreciate your input.

Thanks

StuartC

Forum Member
Reaction score
To build the brand will take huge dollars and winning at races also will have to be priced lower than the established brands with decent walk in access to spares, not going to be an easy task. but good luck it's a really decent brand.

scotty606

Forum Member
Reaction score
To build the brand will take huge dollars and winning at races also will have to be priced lower than the established brands with decent walk in access to spares, not going to be an easy task. but good luck it's a really decent brand.

Totally agree.

Spares availablity/accessibility.
Pricing (not easy with way rands going silly these days)
I don't believe winning races with play huge factor. But obviously will have some impact on a brand.

StuartC

Forum Member
Reaction score
If you race a brand and it comes in mid field no one really see's it, visibility is a huge factor but then again I'm def not a marketing guru, go out and clock a couple of guy's in the top 5 and everyone notices

DenDirtbiker

I fall off a lot
Reaction score
A good way to gauge it would be to look at what the other lesser known brands have achieved. The Beta started with a bang, but the importers shot themselves in the foot by pushing prices to the same level as the bigger brands, pissing off 2 of their main brand ambassadors and then subsequently pissing off their clientele with sloppy service and spares back up. That said Beta still have a strong contingent of followers and I might be slated for brand bashing. Personally I love the looks of the Beta, but from what I've seen they tend to be a bit soft.

Sherco also seem to be turning some heads with their 2 top riders in the top 3 of the 2017 Hard Enduro Championship if I'm not mistaken. It's still early days for them though, so I reckon most people are still a bit apprehensive with regards to spares availability and after sales back up. I rode Dean_E232's 300 4T and I tested the 300 2T at Wild West and they're both very good machines. I also chatted to one of their distributors who pointed out a couple of strong points of the Sherco versus KTM and was quite surprised by what I saw. (Next time you see a Sherco look at the size of the clutch cover versus KTM and look at the size of the starter motor)

Gas Gas has always been a very admirable bike. They also have a lot of die hard fans who, I'm sure, will support the brand if it was made readily available in SA. The starting price would have to be well below what KTM and Husky are charging to make any impression on the buyers out there. For example, when Beta "launched" in SA a few years ago their price was so far below KTM that a few of my mates virtually felt obliged to go for the Beta's. They did, however, take a knock when it was time to sell which is always a concern when buying an "unknown" brand.

My personal opinion is that I like the Gas Gas, with KYB forks it's even more appealing and if I were you I'd look at bringing in the most cost effective models initially, try to come in at the most cost effective price and see how the market responds.

Good luck, that is, if you do go for it.

Tman21

Happily Married
Reaction score
Winsom sunday sells on monday!

Think new gasser will already have tons of after market spares as it shares a lot of KTM goodies. If GG came back into the country and I was in the market for a new smoker i would have to flip a coin between sherco and GG.

Split-Pin

Forum Member
Reaction score
im a person sold on purchasing one of the other euro brands .... the blue/yellow to be exact --- have done alot of reading and asked plenty questions on the brand and ive had good response from over the ponds ....
SA dealership also seems to have a good repore ...
so key is to be able to support the local market - quality of the bike will come from the global market ,,,

thebob

My name is Coco
Reaction score
No doubt the new Gassers are super solid scoots. But, in order to compete you need to be able to match the Orange Brigade in terms of spares and backup. Rock Garden were excellent at this by all accounts, even though they did not have a store in every town, they had the parts and got them to the customers super quick for a reasonable price. Decent support for trade-ins as well, especially for the bikes you would theoretically sell is an absolute must as well. That would help get rid of some of the "you'll be married to it" worries and make a purchase decision a bit easier. A couple of good ambassador riders (I don't think racing does f-all to get people onto the bikes) like Wade Steele-Smith was for Beta. These guys would need to be out and about demoing the bikes almost weekly, and doing personal selling to customers. If this was in place I don't see why Gas Gas couldn't carve out a niche for itself in SA. I know I'd be keen to look at one

Last edited:

Bush Wacker

Forum Member
Reaction score
Scotty, would you buy a new bike right now an would it be a gasgas if you did? Even at 10k less than anything else.
Yamaha has 250x for 75k. And haven't seen any of my mates running to buy one..

StuartC

Forum Member
Reaction score
Scotty, would you buy a new bike right now an would it be a gasgas if you did? Even at 10k less than anything else.
Total bull shit story,,, we all know you don't have any mates!!

Chadvdw67

Forum Member
Reaction score
I think this is largely due to the fact that it does not have E-start, obviously the price would not be that low if it had an E-start, but I think that is the reason many people are not buying them, I know thats why I havnt gone that route

A

armpump

Couple of years ago there was no e/start and everybody had no problem buying light weight simple to maintain two strokes.

Regular people have no money = Economy stuffed

CycleC

Forum Member
Reaction score
Scotty - When GG launched in this country it was done by Deon Belcher. He went all out , from getting Jade (He even tattooed GG on his arm :icon_lol:)Curtis, Errol Dalton and others on the bikes, they had the biggest and baddest pit set ups with 3 or 4 Branded Merc sprinters - It really looked the part and people took notice- basically he just entered the market with a BANG - And you know what ? - IT WORKED while it lasted. GG sold bikes and all looked well until the realization set in that there is no big money to be made in selling 50-100 bikes a year. Also parts where not so easily available as the numbers of bike sales increased so did the need for more parts. And so the promises of salary's to his riders slowly fell away and then they all walked away, then as the bank clamped down all the fancy factory set up and sprinters and gazebos all disappeared as did Mr Belcher and his GG Brand leaving a hundred or so people very pissed off.

So if you can get a backer that will allow you to go in HUGE and then sustain it for a few years before you see small results then go for it but if you think its ok to sell a few bikes from the garage at your house you better have a good think. An unhappy customer who cant get parts is your worst enemy.

Team SBR

Forum Member
Reaction score
Well said Stu!

JustinC177

Forum Member
Reaction score
Out of interest sake how much $$$ do you guys think would be a sufficient initial investment ? CycleC

BULL

The Blue Puta
Reaction score
I think this is largely due to the fact that it does not have E-start, obviously the price would not be that low if it had an E-start, but I think that is the reason many people are not buying them, I know thats why I havnt gone that route
We were a group of 11 bikes at De Wildt on Sunday, 2 YZ's and 9 300's. If I recall it was about 7 of us that had to kick start their bikes. Everybody survived.