Good luck for Comrades Oz

Paul-OSC

Forum Member
Reaction score
Ja nee, hats off my bru. This is quite something. I would like to see your critics do even just 21km in 12hours.

StuartC

Forum Member
Reaction score
I do a couple of K's in the evening when I get home from work and everything feels fucked,,, huge respect but not even on a bicycle would I try that distance,,, not even down hill

DangerDave

NotSoDangerous, Dave!
Reaction score
Comrades- 87km with 1700m elevaton gain and a maximum altitude of 860m.

Oz ran UTD 160, 160km of trail not tar with 6000m elevation gain and the first 60km over 3000m above sea level(altitude sickness can occur from as low as 2700m, bushmans pass is at like ±2300). That is a properly world class tough route.

There is also Munga at 400km of running. That is before we start looking at the guys running appalachian trail like the speed goat, Marathon des sables etc,

Perspectives. . . .

Mark800XC

Old and Slow
Staff member
Reaction score
Comrades- 87km with 1700m elevaton gain and a maximum altitude of 860m.

Oz ran UTD 160, 160km of trail not tar with 6000m elevation gain and the first 60km over 3000m above sea level(altitude sickness can occur from as low as 2700m, bushmans pass is at like ±2300). That is a properly world class tough route.

There is also Munga at 400km of running. That is before we start looking at the guys running appalachian trail like the speed goat, Marathon des sables etc,

Perspectives. . . .
I watched that on Netflix the other day, pretty hectic. That dude ran for 2 weeks straight.

Also, that rock climbing doc about the Dawn Wall is excellent.

DangerDave

NotSoDangerous, Dave!
Reaction score
I watched that on Netflix the other day, pretty hectic. That dude ran for 2 weeks straight.

Also, that rock climbing doc about the Dawn Wall is excellent.
There is another good one Valley Uprising but see if you can watch Free Solo, thunk it is on Hulu not netflix though, will leave you with proper sweaty palms.

DT_Mania

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ja nee, hats off my bru. This is quite something. I would like to see your critics do even just 21km in 12hours.
Are you serious? Bru.....you can walk 21km in less than 4 hours. True story.

StuartC

Forum Member
Reaction score
Why would anyone who owns a car want to walk or run 21km?

BULL

The Blue Puta
Reaction score
Why would anyone who owns a car want to walk or run 21km?
Because South African men above the age of 40 are in a danger zone. Sad but true. I attended a funeral on Wednesday, 45yo man. Heart attack.

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
Because South African men above the age of 40 are in a danger zone. Sad but true. I attended a funeral on Wednesday, 45yo man. Heart attack.
Sadly true, but then there's the other side. Skinny guys with cholesterol issues which also bring on sudden cardiac attacks.

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
taking nothing from Oz, he had a good run at comrades, just hoping he will have a better skyrun come November
Im fairly confident that I will get the finish on the 100 this year. Prep starts this week again after 3 weeks of really bad habits and almost no training.

A push to finish the 100 this year is that my wife says I am only allowed entering the UTD160 next year if I finish:icon_lol:

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
Well done OZ! Long day of running that. How does the body feel?

Crazy to think that in the old days you wouldn’t have finished cos cut off was 11hrs. My mom did it 3 times and her best was 9:15 on the up run.

I even met Wally Hayward that year when I was there cheering her on. He finished his last comrades at 80 and the year before finished in 9:44. Bloody amazing!!! 😯
The idea for next year is to get in just under 11 hours. This year from Drummond I actually had it in my head that I might get in under 11 hours as I crossed the line there at 5 hours. But I could already feel some cramps wanting to grab hold in my quads and a few other places, so it was really a case of knowing I will finish under 12, just short slow runs and walks, no stopping. I was worried that if I tried to push a bit harder I wouldnt make it to the end.

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
The question is, will you be back next year? :icon_e_wink:
Yep. I want the 3rd medal (back to back) apparently if you skip a year you cant get a back to back. You know me, I love a medal:icon_e_ugeek::icon_lol:

I am a much stronger runner downhill than I am up. So I reckon I should easily get the finish compared to this year and hopefully get in under 11 hours.

Then I am done with comrades:icon_lol:

I spoke to a guy in my batch that was in his 60's. He has 29 finish medals. He told me that from number 10 he said this is the last one:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: