GXCC#4 Bapsfontein 18 May

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
I hear these types of comments a lot. then the guys try one GXCC to "get my transition speeds between sections up" and then pleasantly realise that in fact the GXCC is probably the safest off road racing event in the country. marked to perfection and marked safe. then they return for a few more GXCC races.

its all in the discipline you prefer. i would not ride a EWXC as at my skill level in the rocks it will be as dangerous AF. i will hurt myself guaranteed. anything more than Red loop Wild west you can keep. i would rather go fast.

but that is just my opinion.
Dont know about numbers climbing. I recall races in 2013 where there were more than 400 2 wheelers and 130 quads.

Dean_E232

ClutchPump
Reaction score
Why should I look for alternatives if I am enjoying the current series ? also KZN is way too far for a family of 4 on a small budget to go to.

I personally think there was way more crashes and a far less safer marking when the previous 2 owners ran the GOC, the GXCC has far less injuries than the GOC did. The entries have grown year on year with more "newbies" to racing entering the fray, actually to the point that i cant think of a race series (in all of motorsport )in SA that attracts that amount of rider entries on a constant basis. That has to tell you that the series is doing something right.

I would however concede that the format does not suit all, but that is why there is Enduro, flat track etc for the rest.

well i must have read this wrong then , ignore my suggestion , use it dont use it , its not me putting my body and life at risk ( have learnt the hard way anyway ) use it dont use it . Just dont like to hear about all the crashes and near misses . dcisagree aboiyt amount of crashes as to now when adolf arranged

"that was the most dusty GXCC race ever. loads of people visited the medics tent.

Taki says he exited the pits right behind Taye and it took him 32kms to pass her (after she over shot a corner) not because she was faster than him but because he could not see a dam thing. Jaycee said he raced "dangerously" coming out the start in 9th and working his way up to 2nd on the 1st lap."

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
well i must have read this wrong then , ignore my suggestion , use it dont use it , its not me putting my body and life at risk ( have learnt the hard way anyway ) use it dont use it . Just dont like to hear about all the crashes and near misses . dcisagree aboiyt amount of crashes as to now when adolf arranged

"that was the most dusty GXCC race ever. loads of people visited the medics tent.

Taki says he exited the pits right behind Taye and it took him 32kms to pass her (after she over shot a corner) not because she was faster than him but because he could not see a dam thing. Jaycee said he raced "dangerously" coming out the start in 9th and working his way up to 2nd on the 1st lap."
I will agree with one thing here. The only way you could have made up spots was to ride with risk. Im not willing to do that, I can only go fast when I can see what is ahead.

J37

Forum Member
Reaction score
I did a few GXCC's in 2016/2017, and most of them either rained before we rode or during.
That was awesome.

BULL

The Blue Puta
Reaction score
Its actually surprising that MSA actually allows a race to take place in such dusty and dangerous conditions.

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
I did a few GXCC's in 2016/2017, and most of them either rained before we rode or during.
That was awesome.
I will take a wet muddy offroad race over a dusty one any day. Enduro is the other way around though:icon_lol:

- - - Updated - - -

Its actually surprising that MSA actually allows a race to take place in such dusty and dangerous conditions.
True story

- - - Updated - - -

And don't you dare wear a helmet camera......
Because you may see your mielie in the thick dust and the camera will damage the helmets integrity:icon_lol:

George250

Forum Member
Reaction score
BUT YOU STILL HAVE TO GET THE SQUISH RIGHT , BY USING THE CORRECT GASKET SIZE YOU KEEP THE SQUISH WITH IN THE CORRECT PARAMETRES SO THAT THE GASSES ARE CORRECTLY "SQUISHED" FOR OPTIMAL COMBUSTION , HAVING TO LITTLE SQUISH WILL INCREASE COMPRESSION , SO I DISAGREE WITH YOUR STATEMENT ON MACHINING THE CYLINDER HEAD AS TOO LITTLE SQUISH WILL INCREASE COMPRESSION .THE SQUISH CAN BE ADJUSTED AND KEPT IN SPEC USING DIFFERENT SIZE GASKETS . SO NOT SURE WHY THE HELL YOU WOULD WANT TO MACHINE YOUR CYLINDER HEAD WHEN IT CAN BE DONE WITH GASKETS , ITS WHY YOU GET DIFFERENT SIZE GASKETS WHEN YOU ORDER A TOP END KIT ? i AM BY NO MEANS A MECHANIC , ITS JUST THEY WAY I UNDERSTAND IT , MAYBE ONE OF THE QUALIFIED MECHANICS HERE CAN PROPERLY EXPLAIN IT . IF YOU MACHINE YOUR CYLINDER HEAD YOU EFFECTIVELY INCREASING COMPRESSION SURELY AND NEED TO MAKE OTHER ADJUSTMENTS TO FUEL OCTANE AND AIR MIXTURE ? SAME REASON YOU CANNOT USE A HIGHER RACE OCTANE LIKE 105 OCTANE FUEL ON A STANDARD MOTORCYCLE DEIGNED TO USE 95 OCTANE AS YOU FIRST NEED TO INCREASE THE COMPRESSION FOR IT TO WORK EFFECTIVELY IN TERMS OF PERFORMANCE ?
Deck height directly affect port duration.. if you use a thicker base gasket you are increasing the duration that the ports stay open.. The more port Duration you run the more the more aggressive and snappier the power band will become. The correct way to select the base gasket is to measure port duration and select the thickness gasket that gives you the port duration recommended by the manufacturer. KTM make it easy for us by giving us an x dimension (piston to deck height) that equates to an easy way of setting the port duration without having to use a degree wheel. If you set the deck height correctly, the squish will always be with in spec. If you want to change squish clearance without changing port timing you have to machine the head.
The power valve on 2 strokes changes the duration that the exhaust port stays open, when closed you have less port duration and engine makes more low end power when it opens the port duration is more and the engine makes more top end power…. Best of both worlds
Port duration is how many degrees the port is open in a revolution.
Port duration can be measured by holding a feeler gauge on top end of the port. You turn the engine until the piston crown touches the feller gauge. Then zero the degree wheel (special tool) that you have fitted to the flywheel. Turn the engine in the opposite direction and the piston will go down to BDC and all the way up till it touches the feller gauge again. Then check the degree wheel to get the duration in degrees.

Last edited:

thebob

My name is Coco
Reaction score
Deck height is directly affect port duration.. if you use a thicker base gasket you are increasing the duration that the ports stay open.. The more port Duration you run the more the more aggressive and snappier the power band will become. The correct way to select the base gasket is to measure port duration and select the thickness gasket that gives you the port duration recommended by the manufacturer. KTM make it easy for us by giving us an x dimension (piston to deck height) that equates to an easy way of setting the port duration without having to use a degree wheel. If you set the deck height correctly, the squish will always be with in spec. If you want to change squish clearance without changing port timing you have to machine the head.
The power valve on 2 strokes changes the duration that the exhaust port stays open, when closed you have less port duration and engine makes more low end power when it opens the port duration is more and the engine makes more top end power…. Best of both worlds
Port duration can be measured by holding a feeler gauge on top end of the port. You turn the engine until the piston crown touches the feller gauge. Then zero the degree wheel (special tool) that you have fitted to the flywheel. Turn the engine in the opposite direction and the piston will go down to BDC and all the way up till it touches the feller gauge again. Then check the degree wheel to get the duration in degrees.
Where is the like button? Thanks George for that explanation

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
Deck height directly affect port duration.. if you use a thicker base gasket you are increasing the duration that the ports stay open.. The more port Duration you run the more the more aggressive and snappier the power band will become. The correct way to select the base gasket is to measure port duration and select the thickness gasket that gives you the port duration recommended by the manufacturer. KTM make it easy for us by giving us an x dimension (piston to deck height) that equates to an easy way of setting the port duration without having to use a degree wheel. If you set the deck height correctly, the squish will always be with in spec. If you want to change squish clearance without changing port timing you have to machine the head.
:thumbs up: