Hells Gate - De Wildt

Freerider

Forum Member
Reaction score
Hells Gate has been on our do list for a while.
We decided to attempt it on Saturday after Friday nights rain. Just to make it more difficult
Took us 2 Hours 15 Minutes, but we made it..
We will be back for more in the dry.

LupiniPower

Forum Member
Reaction score
Looks like a real bitch of a climb...

I'm sorry, but as much as it is a challenge and an accomplishment to conquer that sort of climb - its not riding, that's just ridiculous "off the pegs" afkak, I would rather go and do crossfit for 2 hours, how much skill are you actually utilizing apart from being able to pivot turn and weight the back wheel?

Id far prefer to be on the pegs using real world momentum and balance to build skill and enjoy the dynamics of my motorcycle, this business of rock bashing a 400m climb for 2 hrs at 1km/per hour is pointless, but hey - each to their own, and there are hundreds of okes that love this kind of thing!

Mark800XC

Old and Slow
Staff member
Reaction score
And me too.

If its un-rideable I'm not interested. I can also make a track / course / race that is unrideable, it starts at Durban and ends in France and you have to go straight across the ocean.

THERE'S NO POINT.

sithe

Forum Member
Reaction score
You obviously don't enjoy extreme enduro. Nothing wrong there.

On the other hand many others love it as can be seen by the number of riders entering events like the Roof etc.

Mark800XC

Old and Slow
Staff member
Reaction score
You obviously don't enjoy extreme enduro. Nothing wrong there.

On the other hand many others love it as can be seen by the number of riders entering events like the Roof etc.
Nothing in The 2013 silver (that I got to) Roof was un-rideable, nothing in the Bronze qualifier this year was un-rideable. Nothing in any of the previous Roof routes that I've ever ridden in Lesotho (7 times this year) has been un-rideable.

Hell's gate from what I hear, is un-rideable.

Whats the point?

My definition of un-rideable:

You are unable to get your bike through it while riding the bike ie: On top of the machine. Or you have to get off the bike and get help.

Curtis apparently was not able to get up Hell's Gate without assistance, he is probably still a top 10 world extreme enduro athlete, if its un-rideable to him, it's un-rideable.

Last edited:

ktmpilot

Reaction score
The point is exhaustion, which is the same point of any ultra endurance sport, be it Comrades, Iron Man, MTB stage races, etc etc. Many people, including me very definitely, find immense enjoyment and satisfaction in personal endurance and overcoming exhaustion for sport and recreation, and in the dirt bike world hard enduro and riding up unrideable stuff such as Hell's Gate is what gives us that!

Francois M

Wild West Enduro Track
Reaction score
Atleast you providing entertainment and a bit of employment to the locals:icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes:

stofwolk

Forum Member
Reaction score
The point is exhaustion, which is the same point of any ultra endurance sport, be it Comrades, Iron Man, MTB stage races, etc etc. Many people, including me very definitely, find immense enjoyment and satisfaction in personal endurance and overcoming exhaustion for sport and recreation, and in the dirt bike world hard enduro and riding up unrideable stuff such as Hell's Gate is what gives us that!
Ek stem saam met Ktmpilot!!

whyme

Forum Member
Reaction score
What is un-rideable to me may be piss easy for somebody else so I guess it all depends on how much you want to push your limits. When I first started(not too long ago) with this sport I used to look at climbs and be like how the fck am I expected to get up that but as time progresses you surprise your self at how easy some of those climbs have become and so u keep on pushing limits.

So its all about pushing limit some will draw line where others wont.

LittleG

Forum Member
Reaction score
I totally understand the exhaustion and 'extreme endurance' aspect of sport, but the point is to RIDE the motorcycle not push it... My bugbear is where there are section that have guys with ropes and hooks etc to 'help' the riders up because it is IMPOSSIBLE to get up alone. WTF is the point? so the guy that has the most supporters/assistants it up the hill 'the fastest'. Then it becomes a team sport, not an individuals race...

ktmpilot

Reaction score
I totally understand the exhaustion and 'extreme endurance' aspect of sport, but the point is to RIDE the motorcycle not push it... My bugbear is where there are section that have guys with ropes and hooks etc to 'help' the riders up because it is IMPOSSIBLE to get up alone. WTF is the point? so the guy that has the most supporters/assistants it up the hill 'the fastest'. Then it becomes a team sport, not an individuals race...
What about being helped by your buddies? Why can't our sport also have a team aspect to it, that can also be part of the fun, kakking off together and then re-living it afterwards all together over a couple of beers!

Tman21

Happily Married
Reaction score
Ok, see the pic. Where the yellow highlighted chap is chilling is the only place on hells gate where one cannot ride your bike alone or get it up that Vagina without assistance. The rest is extremely enjoyable and as the pilot said, riding something above your paygrade be it fitness or skill level and somehow finishing or making it also gives me great pleasure.

Allan

Forum Member
Reaction score
I second that. Use to love riding in the northern cape. Fast,slow,river beds, the odd Koppel.
Now I am in tzaneen. Tech tech tech. 10km ride in 2 to 4hours. Screw that. Where is fun and enjoyment?