Home training for Enduro

Milla

Forum Member
Reaction score
And kak boring and when self decides he deserves the day off there is no one to force him to exercise. Makes skipping a day too easy for me
I also like competing with the guy I train with, it pushes both to do better
Not a moer, lol. It is like working for yourself, you have to push yourself. If your mind is strong and set, training on your own is the best training you can do. I am a firm believer in that. If you want to train go alone, if you want to go on a lekker jol, go with the mates.

charelvanbiljon

Forum Member
Reaction score
Not a moer, lol. It is like working for yourself, you have to push yourself. If your mind is strong and set, training on your own is the best training you can do. I am a firm believer in that. If you want to train go alone, if you want to go on a lekker jol, go with the mates.
I can see merits for both, but I do prefer to train on my own, no need to proof anything to anyone. I know why I am training and I know the consequences if I half ass it. But I guess it's a matter of different strokes for different folks. [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

charelvanbiljon

Forum Member
Reaction score
Funny enough, I downloaded that video this afternoon. Thanks for sharing it.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Tman21

Happily Married
Reaction score
if you look at what the calisthenics guys are up to with very minimal equipment you can get very very good results, but you need to add cardio to the equation seeing as it is an endurance sport...
^^^^^This, body weight training! If you are in the 80% percentile mark of your BMI life is a lot easier when it comes to any type of indurance! Get the TRX strap and roll bolt it up somewhere in your garage! Skipping rope, push ups, cycling and burpees all help a shed load! But even more important you cannot outrun, swim, gym or cycle a bad diet!
Words of wisdom from a previously morbidly obese kid:

There is no quick fix, its a lifestyle change!

charelvanbiljon

Forum Member
Reaction score
^^^^^This, body weight training! If you are in the 80% percentile mark of your BMI life is a lot easier when it comes to any type of indurance! Get the TRX strap and roll bolt it up somewhere in your garage! Skipping rope, push ups, cycling and burpees all help a shed load! But even more important you cannot outrun, swim, gym or cycle a bad diet!

Thank you Tman21
I agree with everything you said.
Since I made the decision to get into Enduro a couple of months ago, I started changing my lifestyle accordingly.
THis will not only be beneficial for the sport I intend on doing, but will lead to an overall healthier lifestyle. WIN WIN
Yes, the Trax suspension ropes does seem the way to go, and it is very versatile.
As for the diet aspect, I am not planning on following any diet program, but rather to change my bad eating habits and eliminate any unnecessary or unhealthy foods.

Tman21

Happily Married
Reaction score
Oh ya, by diet I just refer to your general intake!

Sugar free/water with meals, veg instead of starch 300g steak instead of 500g, avoid carbs after the sun sets. . .

The lost goes on! Good luck bud, gonna try and kickstart my healthstyle again comes 1 of March!

DangerDave

NotSoDangerous, Dave!
Reaction score

you can it just takes over 20 hours a week of training to do so... Which for most means it can't be done.

Also best thing ever for eating normal food in a balanced manner to lose weight- Myfitnesspal app, log everything you eat, and your training and your BMR, end of the day you have a number and you are either under or over, no hiding the truth.

red_eye_righley

The Standard Thing
Reaction score

Sugar free/water with meals, veg instead of starch 300g steak instead of 500g, avoid carbs after the sun sets. . .

The lost goes on! Good luck bud, gonna try and kickstart my healthstyle again comes 1 of March!
My January and February are also poked, do over come March :icon_lol:

Bigjim

Forum Member
Reaction score
Some serious overthinking going on here.

Ride the bike - TITS - have fun and enjoy.

If you are riding up at a level where you need to supplement fitness then start some cardio activity - running probably your best "bang for buck"

Enduro riding does not require strength.

Your gains from skills development will probably be 10x that from fitness

red_eye_righley

The Standard Thing
Reaction score

If you are riding up at a level where you need to supplement fitness then start some cardio activity - running probably your best "bang for buck"

A few years ago Jade Gutzeit showed me it helps some years back. We were stuck on the same hill (because we were neck n neck up until then, actually no, he was lapping me). He just reached down from where he was standing (his feet were about level with the seat, and picked his POS ton of a BM450Xwhatwhat up by the footpeg and lifted it right up to another spot and then climbed/pushed the rest of the hill - that oke is an animal. I toiled for another 5 minutes on the wet rocks at least. Wild Will came up there picking a line and sailed up, so I suppose that part reinforces your argument.

BlankieMan

Team ACTNET Rider
Reaction score

Says a guy called Bigjim what about midget mark he will require strength ....

Bigjim

Forum Member
Reaction score
100% bud - of course it does help, but it should really be the exception rather than the rule where you are having to rely on strength. If your riding abilities are determined by how well you can push/pull/ drag your bike up every hill then you are going to lose interest very quickly.

I reckon I am pretty fit, but I have mates who can clean a gnarly section without breaking a sweat while I burn a shedload of energy getting up. Halfway through the ride I am sh!tting twinkies & crying for my mommy & they are redesigning the route to squeeze in a few extra hillclimbs from hell.

Race pace - sure the lazy fat boys will crap off, but social riding - skills & technique for the win

charelvanbiljon

Forum Member
Reaction score

Thanks allot bud, and same to you

charelvanbiljon

Forum Member
Reaction score
100% bud - of course it does help, but it should really be the exception rather than the rule where you are having to rely on strength. If your riding abilities are determined by how well you can push/pull/ drag your bike up every hill then you are going to lose interest very quickly.

I reckon I am pretty fit, but I have mates who can clean a gnarly section without breaking a sweat while I burn a shedload of energy getting up. Halfway through the ride I am sh!tting twinkies & crying for my mommy & they are redesigning the route to squeeze in a few extra hillclimbs from hell.

Race pace - sure the lazy fat boys will crap off, but social riding - skills & technique for the win
I am not trying to focus on strength building, but rather to get fit overall.
Like I said, this is my first time going into a real exercise program and a hard physical sport.
I am really not fit, (well, its getting better) and have very little upper body strength, (which came to a big fat surprise to me at my first warrior race). I am not aiming to be Arnold Schwarzenegger here, I just want to help myself to not kill myself on said hill.

Thank you all again for all the valued inputs.