How did you get into riding?

booth

toll
Reaction score
Always loved bikes, but in 94 or 95, while I was still in school a mate of mine got himself a copy of Terrafirma 2 and I more than anything wanted a dirt bike, particularly the factory Honda Jeremy McGrath and the way he rode.

Well MX jumps scare the living daylights out of me, so could never soar like those guys, but happy riding at my level.......

How did you guys get into riding, what lit the fire?

DT_Mania

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Got a Honda MTX 50 from my dad when I was 15.

Me, my Bell Moto 3 and my fifty

booth

toll
Reaction score
Ah, my folks weren't to keen on us riding bikes, pocket money saved and first bike owned was a Honda ST70 monkey bike, wish I could find one, my first proper bike was a Honda XR500RE 1984 model.

kyleschoeman

Forum Member
Reaction score
My much older brother was good friends With Elmer Symons and they used to ride together on the weekends when Elmer wasn't racing and I grew up wanting to ride and looked up to Elmer ad a hero. I wanted to get a bike and one day do Roof just because Elmer did Roof and obviously won Roof. Started working, bought my own bike and this year managed to complete my 1st Roof.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

DenDirtbiker

I fall off a lot
Reaction score
Myself and my elder twin brothers grew up in Kimberley and we used to go play on the mine dumps with our bicycles. We begged and pleaded with the old man and he bought my 1 boet a Suzuki ER 50 and the other a Yamaha MR 50. I was still too young, so my first bike came a few years later, but it never stopped me from riding my brother's bikes. That was it, I was sentenced to a life behind bars.

Dingo

Forum Member
Reaction score
I qas spending the Christmas holidays at my cousins house. The eldest had an MT50, and my uncle had bought him a DT125. The MT was shoved into a gap between the wall and garage, forgotten. I was bored, so pulled it out, stripped, cleaned and got it running. When I left to go home, my uncle said "Don't forget your bike" and that was that.

A

armpump

superbike ......... kid born ....... dirt bikes ...........Son now grown up and i'm on dual sport bike now.

Seeing a lot more of our country via back roads and trails and really enjoying it.

A

armpump

I qas spending the Christmas holidays at my cousins house. The eldest had an MT50, and my uncle had bought him a DT125. The MT was shoved into a gap between the wall and garage, forgotten. I was bored, so pulled it out, stripped, cleaned and got it running. When I left to go home, my uncle said "Don't forget your bike" and that was that.
What a cool Uncle :thumbs up:

adamktm

Forum Member
Reaction score
First bike I rode was a Peewee 50'at the witbank show. After that day I was hooked. Begged my dad every year for a bike. He bought my older step brother a car when he was 18 and asked me if I wanted a bike or a car and I said a bike so he promised me one when I was 16. He gave me fokkol so I got a part time job at hyperama and saved every penny I earned including odd jobs and bought an RZ50 after a year of saving.

Sold the 50 when I was 18 and bought a car with a 3k loan from my Mom.

Had no bikes after that and eventually decided to get a bike license and bike when I was back on the UK. Bought a mint Grey/black/silver 600 SRAD. Had another 4 bikes after that, the last being an Aprilia RSV Mille. Got bac to SA and after about 6 months bought a brand new K6 1000 which I was knocked off 6 months later. I bought a new k7 750 and after doing 3000km on the road I decided to track it and start racing. Did that for quite a few years and then bought dirt bikes for the missus and I and got hooked into the dirt.

Torn ACL on the dirt bike ended me winning the overall championship in the regional super bikes( still managed third after the only guy who could knock me off the podium got caught and overtaken by his dad:icon_lol:) so I sold the race bike and have stuck to the dirt.

I do miss the track every now and then, but will never go back. Really love the places we get to see and go on these dirt bikes. Still amazes me!!!!!!

DangerDave

NotSoDangerous, Dave!
Reaction score
Ah, my folks weren't to keen on us riding bikes, pocket money saved and first bike owned was a Honda ST70 monkey bike, wish I could find one, my first proper bike was a Honda XR500RE 1984 model.
I have one, but it is not for sale...

BlankieMan

Team ACTNET Rider
Reaction score
My much older brother was good friends With Elmer Symons and they used to ride together on the weekends when Elmer wasn't racing and I grew up wanting to ride and looked up to Elmer ad a hero. I wanted to get a bike and one day do Roof just because Elmer did Roof and obviously won Roof. Started working, bought my own bike and this year managed to complete my 1st Roof.

Elmer is and always will be a legend !!!

kyleschoeman

Forum Member
Reaction score
Elmer is and always will be a legend !!!
100%. I remember the day of his accident like it was yesterday... Can still show you his folks house in Ladysmith. I remember him coming over from the States after his 1st stint there and Bringing his Boet back a ktm lc4 as a gift and then getting his boet to go back and Join him in the States. What a legend. Elmer and Phillip both

CDVDH

Forum Member
Reaction score
I saw apeewee 50 at an agricultural show in 1984. So me an my brother cried till my dad bought it.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

Dean_E232

ClutchPump
Reaction score
I was to shy and ugly to date chicks so found something else to ride

Last edited:

Bargain_Hunter

I give Quaddies a bad name
Reaction score
Quarffbikes. Owned plenty. Miss them all, each one had a special memory. Then a gawdforsaken 250f cone. That damn thing hated me. Propper.
Tried rubberducks, karting, RC and other motorised shit.
Now dipping into DS, early days, I guess.

Hopefully never a fcuking cruiser PoS.

DangerDave

NotSoDangerous, Dave!
Reaction score
Been looking for one for a while. I had a red one and my boet a blue one. Had so much fun on it DangerDave, you keeping yours standard or modding it?
Kept it pretty standard so far except for paint, a few years back it went from blue to candy apple red and I rechromed everything, then it got repainted matt black, this December it might change colour again, it is at my folks small holding and is a solid farm bike,

jaun.pierre

Forum Member
Reaction score
Wanted a bike since I can remember, but growing up my parents couldn't really afford it. When I first saw Crusty Demons, i was hooked on the dirt bike idea. For my 16th, my dad saved up what he could and got me a chinabike. It wasn't anything impressive, but considering what my dad had to do to buy it, there were few things I could appreciate more. Rode that thing like a hoon for 3 years, maintained and fixed it in the backyard with my dad. I had to leave it behind when I went to college.
In my first year of work, I got a Yamaha Nitro 100cc 2t scooter, rode it for a bit and eventually got a Honda CB400. Best bike i have owned so far, and got me hooked on street bikes. T-boned it a year later, upgraded to a K4 1000 and then the 03 R1, which I rode for 2 years (about 35000km). Also had a KDX200 fora short while but no trailer or bakkie made it hard to enjoy. Moved to Jhb and sold the 03 and KDX, got the 08 R1 and did track only for a few months. Highsided and farked myself up for a few months, and now I'm back to dirt bikes on the CR250. Aching to own a superbike again, but the dirt bike affords me a lot more time to ride for a lot less money, so I'm sticking with it for while