How do you decoke?

FHM_V

Forum Member
Reaction score
Whats your preferred method or what have you found to work best when decoking/de-carbonizing a 2t exhaust/header pipe?
Caustic soda(Not good for Aluminium though and even worse for your skin/eyes)
Boiling water
Blow torch
Petrol
Stones
Drill with a length of cable/wire attached to the front
Screwdriver and elbow grease

Share your experience......

BULL

The Blue Puta
Reaction score
Take it to Off Road Cycles in the morning and collect in the afternoon. But hardly necessary anymore in an age of brilliant synthetic 2T oils.

adamktm

Forum Member
Reaction score
The last exhaust I decoked was on my RZ50 and I threw it in a fire with petrol in it and then resprayed it.

FHM_V

Forum Member
Reaction score
Take it to Off Road Cycles in the morning and collect in the afternoon. But hardly necessary anymore in an age of brilliant synthetic 2T oils.
Easiest method by far....:thumbs up:

shabsta

F800GS ALL THE WAY
Staff member
Reaction score
I came here looking for recreational drug tips - so disappointed

Last edited:

FHM_V

Forum Member
Reaction score
:261::icon_lol: The last time I tried sniffing coke, the ice cube got stuck by the straw....:006:

shabsta

F800GS ALL THE WAY
Staff member
Reaction score
Important
It is essential that the silencer and the center baffle tube are cleared of carbon regularly, otherwise back-pressure will cause heavy petrol consumption, over-heating and possibly even a seizure.

To clean the silencer it is only necessary to slacken off the nut and bolt which secure the rear clip, grasp the end of the baffle tube and withdraw this from the silencer when it can be cleaned by scraping.

The greatest accumulation of carbon in the exhaust pipes will usually take place nearest to the cylinders and scraping away will suffice for about the first 5.000 miles, although during this period, carbon will have adhered to relatively inaccessible parts of the exhaust pipes and silencer and the most satisfactory method of removing this is by utilizing a solution of caustic soda.

The chemical should be strictly prepared in accordance with the instruction on the tin in which it is purchased, then remove the exhaust pipes and silencer from the machine, plug the leading ends of both preferably with corks, stand in a comer "and fill with the solution. Leave for at least 12 hours, preferably 24, pour away contents and flush with clean water when the carbon will be removed.

Converted to text for and behalf of bulletproof

bulletproof

Closet KTM Fan
Reaction score
Important
It is essential that the silencer and the center baffle tube are cleared of carbon regularly, otherwise back-pressure will cause heavy petrol consumption, over-heating and possibly even a seizure.

To clean the silencer it is only necessary to slacken off the nut and bolt which secure the rear clip, grasp the end of the baffle tube and withdraw this from the silencer when it can be cleaned by scraping.

The greatest accumulation of carbon in the exhaust pipes will usually take place nearest to the cylinders and scraping away will suffice for about the first 5.000 miles, although during this period, carbon will have adhered to relatively inaccessible parts of the exhaust pipes and silencer and the most satisfactory method of removing this is by utilizing a solution of caustic soda.

The chemical should be strictly prepared in accordance with the instruction on the tin in which it is purchased, then remove the exhaust pipes and silencer from the machine, plug the leading ends of both preferably with corks, stand in a comer "and fill with the solution. Leave for at least 12 hours, preferably 24, pour away contents and flush with clean water when the carbon will be removed.

Converted to text for and behalf of bulletproof
Nice work OCR.