How's this sound for a plan? Frankenduro bike.

LoopSoosStroop

Forum Member
Reaction score
Ok, I don't think I want a two stroke anymore. Mixing petrol, splooge, bad range, jetting issues. And of the four strokes, I don't want a KTM or Honda.

So that leaves me with a WR250F or WR450F.

How about taking a 2008ish alu frame WR250F, fitting a Recluse EXP and a fan, and then stripping all the weight off it? Battery, starter, lights etc. Can prob get it down to 105kg dry weight like that.

With the Recluse the lack of electric start will be less of an issue.

Sounds like a plan to me? Can prob get it done for R40k all in.

BULL

The Blue Puta
Reaction score
I honestly think the "negatives" of 2T's are overstated. Mixing petrol? Two minutes max. Splooge? You don't see it, the fat podge on the 4T behind you sees it. Jetting issues? Really? Once sorted, its generally sorted. In fact I have never had "jetting issues". Bad range? Unless you are doing the Dakar I think you will be okay.

Mark800XC

Old and Slow
Staff member
Reaction score
Why dont you want a KTM?

Wouldn't a YZ 250F be a better base bike? You're modifying it anyway so to do the forks and shock wont be much more hassle or loot.

LoopSoosStroop

Forum Member
Reaction score
BULL said:
I honestly think the "negatives" of 2T's are overstated. Mixing petrol? Two minutes max. Splooge? You don't see it, the fat podge on the 4T behind you sees it. Jetting issues? Really? Once sorted, its generally sorted. In fact I have never had "jetting issues". Bad range? Unless you are doing the Dakar I think you will be okay.
Maybe I'm just looking for excuses. I'd rather try and shoehorn a 4T into shape for my purpose.

LoopSoosStroop

Forum Member
Reaction score
Mark250GP said:
Why dont you want a KTM?
For a 5 year old bike I'd rather take a Yamaha. If I was buying new i would not have a problem with a KTM.

Mark250GP said:
Wouldn't a YZ 250F be a better base bike? You're modifying it anyway so to do the forks and shock wont be much more hassle or loot.
I'd prefer the way the WR makes it's power for the tech stuff, I'm assuming it makes more low down grunt than the YZ.

Suspension wise the YZ might actually be better. Hilton H told me the that the YZ250 2T with mild tuning has some of the best suspension available for a tech enduro bike. The 4T YZ might be a bit stiffer due to the higher weight.

Herminator

Forum Member
Reaction score
I've had some experience with modifications on bikes and in my limited
experience its just not worth it trying to make something into something else
Buying something purpose built for the job works out better and cheaper.
Want a light Enduro bike KTM 250 2 stroke
Dont like 2 stroke 300-350 4stroke
Want to go fast on flats WR450 or CR450

P.s. Gas Gas not mentioned because I know the brand is not for everyone.

General Jelly

Forum Member
Reaction score
BULL said:

+1........

FLATOUT

Forum Member
Reaction score
LSS don't waste your hard earned bux. That bit of "overweightness" on the WR is not gonna make a heck of a difference.

I've been riding MX bikes for years for enduro`s (my personal preference)

General Jelly

Forum Member
Reaction score
FLATOUT said:
LSS don't waste your hard earned bux. That bit of "overweightness" on the WR is not gonna make a heck of a difference.

I've been riding MX bikes for years for enduro`s (my personal preference)
I agree,that little bit extra wont make a huge difference,.........unless you are really a front of the pack rider and you need to shed every ounce of weight to make you that much faster,.....