Hydration

DangerDave

NotSoDangerous, Dave!
Reaction score
So this is really relevant as of recent with a rider passing away and for me personally getting into some serious sh!t last weekend with it. Although we are going into winter now where it is not such a big issue, I figured may as well give a place for guys to give their thoughts on hydration, can always learn a trick or two...

My issue was simple and could possibly have been avoided, and thankfully a strong recovery plan kept me slightly in the race for the following few days.
Basically 60km run, pushed too hard early, as hit 35km started getting dizzy, throwing up and had jippo guts, we not sure if it as acute altitude sickness, or just pushing to hard or a combo of both (although altitude shouldn't be a problem seeing as I have done plenty of training and altitude runs recently). The scary part was stumbling round a mountain unable to read a gps properly because of dizzyness and seeing stars and throwing up left right and center. Made it to the end but threw away what should have been the strongest leg of the race and then had to get body ready for the next 2 days of racing.

I usually run on normal rehydrate for a few reasons
-sachets are sealed and measured out already so you can carry 2 or 3 as spare for emergencies(saved me in a big way after throwing up most of the rehydrate I had planned on drinking)
-It works well in my opinion
-you can mix a small bottle of it, down 150ml rehydrate and then go back to drinking water which doesn't start tasting bad like popular drinks do after the 3rd litre
-It doesn't go off as fast as a lot of the preservative free sports drinks available.

Negatives
-you still need to fuel yourself on top of this where a lot of popular drinks have the added extras to help fuel you.
-cost
-I like sweet things and it doesn't taste sweet

Then my recovery tips-
hydrate slow, don't try down a whole pile of fluid at once to recover!
Eat salad and leafy veg
That night I had a countdown timer set and every 45mins through the night had a sip or two of rehydrate, next morning was feeling a lot less 2nd hand and this will work well for Roof and other multi day events, you do just have to trade off some sleep but in my case it was worth it.
A good protein/recovery shake also helped.
A drip is probably the best bet, but be aware of rules when it comes to racing and DIY meds...

Anyone got any other tips? Products to recommend?

BULL

The Blue Puta
Reaction score
"That night I had a countdown timer set and every 45mins through the night had a sip or two of rehydrate". Surely all the sleep interruptions are more detrimental to your performance that less hydration?

DangerDave

NotSoDangerous, Dave!
Reaction score
"That night I had a countdown timer set and every 45mins through the night had a sip or two of rehydrate". Surely all the sleep interruptions are more detrimental to your performance that less hydration?
It does have an impact, but I think you have to assess the context and severity of situation and decide-
I hadn't pee'd since 6pm the night before when I climbed into bed and had a headache from dehydration.
Also I only had to cycle the next day so mind didn't have to be that sharp and I can half sleep on long uphills anyway, also we were camping so was never gonna be a perfect sleep anyway but getting into bed super early meant 10 hours to sleep/recover.

swazi_matt

Forum Member
Reaction score
Winter is possibly more of an issue, especially in the highveld, as it is dry so you are not aware that you are sweating like in a humid summer day, so are not reminded that you are dehydrating (the plus in winter - and even more so in lesotho - is that your sweat is doing what it is supposed to do, cool you down - heat exhaustion is something to also be aware of especially in kzn summer with high humidity, you may tend to overhydrate to try and cool yourself which is also a risk)

best product i have used for roof type events is high5 4:1 as it is fructose based and also has protein in it so it helps you on long events and also helps with recovery. on long endurance events you need to take in protein rather than carbs, and a shot of some caffeine every now and again (especially after a pit stop involving food) will help digest the protein and turn it into energy, rather than giving you that bloated feeling after eating food and then excercising - when you put your body under stress it will shut down certain areas to give energy to other parts, your digestion being one. your body needs to then get energy from other sources and starts getting protein from your muscles, depleating them (silly body!!) which is why the caffeine will help (high5 gels with caffeine have caffeine from tea extract) as it will force your body to digest what you put in. It is for this reason that i believe banting will also assist as it should draw energy from your fat reserves, but i believe (and i think lord noakes also) you will still need carbs during the event.

when i am on normal rides i just use neutral high5 (rehydrate type) salt tabs in my water as i sweat a lot and then cramp, and it works fine. for longer events like the roof i would use something with fuel (as mentioned previously) and would also have a second smaller bladder with just water. When you are really working hard a swig of pure water can be much more refreshing on a hard climb. I believe the adventure racers do something similar - one bottle of strong mix of fuel (cytomax or similar) and then a camelbak of water

but whatever you do, try out the product before you commit to using it for an event. I know these products are costly and there is a belief that you train on water and save the mix for the event, only to discover it gives you the shl!ts - using these mixes as recovery after training will also make your training more efficient - as will a good diet

red_eye_righley

The Standard Thing
Reaction score
It does have an impact, but I think you have to assess the context and severity of situation and decide-
I hadn't pee'd since 6pm the night before when I climbed into bed and had a headache from dehydration.
Also I only had to cycle the next day so mind didn't have to be that sharp and I can half sleep on long uphills anyway, also we were camping so was never gonna be a perfect sleep anyway but getting into bed super early meant 10 hours to sleep/recover.
That explains why you twats always get run over......:icon_twisted:

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score

I find that with these sort of events, I don't tend to sleep well anyways. Even after something exhausting I battle to sleep properly. I tend to toss and turn and maybe manage an hour at a time before waking again.

Similar to DangerDave I also use rehydrate powders. Easy to carry for refills and it works well to pack in electrolytes. Iv ebecome quite fond of race bars and biltong as snacks. For longer stints I take a boiled potatoe wrapped in foil with a sachet of steers salt. You cannot believe how good that is out there after you are depleted.

A nice trick I picked up is a zip lock bag with a scoop of whey protein powder and a scoop of a mass builder of sorts. When you get to water points, put some water in the bag, give it a shake, bite a hole in the corner and down. Also works great. Chuck the bag at the water station and off you go.

I tend to be quite heavy on fluids, not too sure why, but I sweat badly when pushing hard. So I need to put in quite a bit. Sky run 65 I took in about 12 litres without taking into account streams etc and the coke at Balloch.

Dean_E232

ClutchPump
Reaction score
pace and power for the win ..... i always have a bottle of GT Gel from them in case i run run out of hydration and a few joobies

GT Energy Gel for Enduro Riding!

6 x Gel servings per flask. Each gel is 50mls. Approx 6 hours of racing on water alone!

For Enduros, you can use GT Gel 2 different ways:

1. TOP UP ENERGY AND ELECTROLYTES:
Sip from time to time – rather like a whiskey hip flask! This will top-up your energy using LOW GI carbs.
The HUGE electrolyte content per serving will help prevent cramping and dehydration.

2. RIDE ON WATER ALONE:
If you run out of EnduraPower or you feel like using only water, then drink 50mls to 100mls over the hour. Serving sizes marked on label.

Always ensure adequate hydration to assist absorption.

Per 50ml GT gel serving:
o 50 mg MAGNESIUM Glycinate
o BCAAs to prevent muscle breakdown/soreness over distance
o High electrolytes. AFRICAN heat! 294 mgs sodium per serving
o Green Tea for immune protection and focus
o Soft, liquid taste. Very light flavour
o Stable energy

With the GT ‘hip flask’, you can be either “traditional” - take the whole serving in one shot and follow with water for an hour; OR you can swig from time to time. (Rather like a whiskey flask!)
If you swig from time to time, you'll get a more even intake of carbs and electrolytes over the hour :)

Tips:
o Hydrate according to bodyweight, sport and individual requirements. Suggestions may include 10mls/kg of bodyweight/hr. This may vary widely.
If you weigh:
60kgs - you should drink 600mls / hour
70kgs - you should drink 700mls / hour
90kgs - you should drink 900mls / hour
100kgs - you ahould drink 1litre / hour
o Add water to your flask to get every last drop of gel.
o If racing shorter events, then afterwards, simply wash the lid and store your GT Gel in the refrigerator.
o For best results, use together with EnduraShake, EnduraPower and Joobies.

DangerDave

NotSoDangerous, Dave!
Reaction score
I tend to be quite heavy on fluids, not too sure why, but I sweat badly when pushing hard. So I need to put in quite a bit. Sky run 65 I took in about 12 litres without taking into account streams etc and the coke at Balloch.
Be careful with that hey, it was on that exact route that I got into k@k, on the long weekend (even after all the rain) the only water available was at the river after olympus and at the main river going into Balloch, the rest was all dry...

Tman21

Happily Married
Reaction score
All of this into one tripper, with protein the night before and pre race and you might be golden.

Its not gospel as everyone's body works in a different way, this is a tad bit scientific and it works great for me!

Mark800XC

Old and Slow
Staff member
Reaction score
Fcuk me, 1L coke, 2L water. If it's going to be a really long day add a sachet of Re-Hydrate, ride, drink beer, go home.

DT_Mania

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Fcuk me, 1L coke, 2L water. If it's going to be a really long day add a sachet of Re-Hydrate, ride, drink beer, go home.
Oros made on the weak side, couple table spoons of lemon juice and a teaspoon of salt. Done!

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
Be careful with that hey, it was on that exact route that I got into k@k, on the long weekend (even after all the rain) the only water available was at the river after olympus and at the main river going into Balloch, the rest was all dry...

Was the same in the race. Only those two streams. But I filled up at every opportunity I could. Even found a very slow treacling stream. Took out an empty protein bar wrapper and had myself ice cold mountain water shots. Was awesome! Ha ha ha!! At the camp we ate the snow, also lekker, but not the yellow snow......

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
All of this into one tripper, with protein the night before and pre race and you might be golden.

Its not gospel as everyone's body works in a different way, this is a tad bit scientific and it works great for me!

Quite a chemistry kit you got there, but as you said, each person has their own thing, and if it works, why tamper with it.

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
Is that the only fluid for long races like roof etc? Arent you in the saddle for something like over 8 hours a day?

Mark800XC

Old and Slow
Staff member
Reaction score
Is that the only fluid for long races like roof etc? Arent you in the saddle for something like over 8 hours a day?
That is exactly what I used in 3 days at The Roof.

And a protein shake in the AM and at each DSP. Barely anything to eat at night apart from a piece of steak 2 x Myprodol and a sleeping pill.

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
That is exactly what I used in 3 days at The Roof.

And a protein shake in the AM and at each DSP. Barely anything to eat at night apart from a piece of steak 2 x Myprodol and a sleeping pill.
Bliksem!!! You run on nicotine or tar??

adamktm

Forum Member
Reaction score
Tell me about that stuff Pompie! I need to start taking a protein shake, but don't like all the sugar