Hydration

A

armpump

Do some reading on banting for athletes Banters run on fat for energy and plain water.

There are special groups on book face you can join to get ALL the info.

DT_Mania

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do some reading on banting for athletes Banters run on fat for energy and plain water.

How many banters have won the Comrades or a Olympic gold medal?

DangerDave

NotSoDangerous, Dave!
Reaction score

So this is where your expertise runs out, and facebook is not a credible source(neither is Twitter sorry Tim).
When you exercise at lower intensity you burn less energy but of what you burn a higher percentage is fat, when you are at higher intensity you burn not only more energy, but a higher percentage of carbs because your body needs the energy faster. Thus for weightloss and burning fat, jogging along slowly for 2 hours is better than doin 3:45min/km for 10km. So banting will work for super long distance athletes if they can get their body to work with it and are at a very level constant energy output. An example being guys solo trrekking the antarctic eating frozen cubes of fish oil, lard and other such delights because they are burning massive energy but not at a high intensity ever and they can then carry more energy in less weight, conversely this is also why your top cyclists still race on gu gels still. For something like enduro where your intensity can spike incredibly like when you go up a pass you cannot rely only on fat as an energy store you need the carbs to take up the slack and supply energy faster when needed, that is why if you go on the cycling forum's banting thread a lot of them preach banting off the bike, carbs on the bike so they can come into a race lean but then abuse carbs during the event.

Last edited:

BigMike

Medium Mike
Reaction score
@ DD there is a whole ketogenic athletes nutrition book.

There are pros and cons and where it differs it isn't so much the lack of carbs, just the right type of carbs and sugars.

All to often people jump to conclusions without fully understanding the methodologies and science behind the glossy book.

But yes certain food groups can affect performance for certain people. Each to their own really. Find what works and go with it. I suffer from too much simple sugar in certain products I used for enduro, I don't use it anymore and am shap now

StuartC

Forum Member
Reaction score
How many banters have won the Comrades or a Olympic gold medal?
Last rugby world cup was won by a team who had been banting for nearly a year , Bruce fordyce/Shaun Meikeljohn/Oscar Chalupsky all world level athletes who are avid banters

DT_Mania

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Same could be asked about fat people?
No. There are millions of people that aren't fat that don't bant. In fact, the serious rice eating nations outlive the rest of the world.

DT_Mania

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Last rugby world cup was won by a team who had been banting for nearly a year , Bruce fordyce/Shaun Meikeljohn/Oscar Chalupsky all world level athletes who are avid banters
Oh really? Bruce Fordyce banted in the 80's? Fokof man.

red_eye_righley

The Standard Thing
Reaction score
Is oscar thin now? Last time I saw him his boat was a little lower in the water than mine. He forks off though, especially when there is swell to help him

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
Tell me about that stuff Pompie! I need to start taking a protein shake, but don't like all the sugar
Is there sugar in a whey protein shake? Ive never checked to be honest. My favourite still is Evox's synergy.