Forum Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done this lately?
More specifically to bike plastics etc?
Any pics?

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
I have seen guys that have done it. Almost standard to start peeling shortly after. I wouldnt recommend it.

DT_Mania

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have seen guys that have done it. Almost standard to start peeling shortly after. I wouldnt recommend it.
All depends the quality of work. If you get it properly done, with finishing clear coat, it lasts pretty well. It is going to be expensive, though.

Rossnij

Forum Member
Reaction score
All depends the quality of work. If you get it properly done, with finishing clear coat, it lasts pretty well. It is going to be expensive, though.
Thanks DT.
Expensive as more expensive than new plastics and decals?

Rossnij

Forum Member
Reaction score
I saw it about 5 years ago on a fuel tank and it was terrible, could peel it off with your nail. I thought perhaps the tech has advanced a bit.

Tombstone

The Old Ballie
Reaction score
PM your contact details and I can facilitate a personal intro to a major hydrodipping provider in Jo’burg. He’s a good mate of mine and can directly address all your questions

DT_Mania

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks DT.
I was quoted R6000 on the DR800 about a year or so ago. But that is with proper base-coat for chosen background colour, dipping and then triple clear-coat with a cut and polish.

George250

Forum Member
Reaction score
Painting dirt bike plastic s does not work...paint and clear coating just isnt flexible enough.... one fall and te paint will crack and peel...

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
Thanks DT.
Not sure. New plastics are around 2 to 3k, sticker kit 1.5k to 2.3k I would say. But I can almost promise the paint or dipping etc will get buggered up. The kak thing is that its not like a sticker that you can peel off easily

- - - Updated - - -

Painting dirt bike plastic s does not work...paint and clear coating just isnt flexible enough.... one fall and te paint will crack and peel...
Yebo, this and it will get scuffed as a dirt bike will and everything just looks kak. Money wasted. Fresh plastics and sticker kit and replace the sticker kit every now and then to protect the plastics

- - - Updated - - -

I was quoted R6000 on the DR800 about a year or so ago. But that is with proper base-coat for chosen background colour, dipping and then triple clear-coat with a cut and polish.
On something like a DR I would say its not a bad idea. But not on a dirt/enduro bike

- - - Updated - - -

I saw it about 5 years ago on a fuel tank and it was terrible, could peel it off with your nail. I thought perhaps the tech has advanced a bit.
Then that was done kak, it isnt that easy to get off.

Rossnij

Forum Member
Reaction score
I agree but this is not for a dirtbike per say. Well it is but it will never see dirt...