Is it necessary to replace your helmet every 5 years

Dean_E232

ClutchPump
Reaction score
The five-year replacement recommendation is based on a consensus by both helmet manufacturers and the Snell Foundation. Glues, resins and other materials used in helmet production can affect liner materials. Hair oils, body fluids and cosmetics, as well as normal "wear and tear" all contribute to helmet degradation. Petroleum based products present in cleaners, paints, fuels and other commonly encountered materials may also degrade materials used in many helmets possibly degrading performance. Additionally, experience indicates there will be a noticeable improvement in the protective characteristic of helmets over a five-year period due to advances in materials, designs, production methods and the standards. Thus, the recommendation for five-year helmet replacement is a judgment call stemming from a prudent safety philosophy

AGV Arai Shoie

a helmet should be replaced either 5 years after date of purchase or 7 years after date of manufacturing, whichever comes first

Airhoh
it is normally recommended to replace your helmet every five years

Bell

Bell has a general recommendation of replacing your helmet every three (3) years

Tombstone

The Old Ballie
Reaction score
I think it's manufacturers bullshit. Same as "you must only wash your air filter in filter cleaner fluid", etc, etc. If you ding your pip properly, replace. Other than that it should be fine.

Also, I wouldn't risk painting custom designs on my pot. You never know the effect the chemicals in the paint will have on the polymer.

Bud500

Forum Member
Reaction score
I also believe time in the sun makes a big difference. How much sun and how much difference, I don't know.
That being said, as Tomb mentioned, apart from a proper fall I don't adhere to these recommendations.

DangerDave

NotSoDangerous, Dave!
Reaction score
let's be real, who here makes it to 5 years without a crash or dropping your helmet, or just wanting something new?

I think there are far to many guys riding on helmets that should have been replaced long ago...

Tombstone

The Old Ballie
Reaction score
let's be real, who here makes it to 5 years without a crash or dropping your helmet, or just wanting something new?

I think there are far to many guys riding on helmets that should have been replaced long ago...
Once upon a time. But with prices these days things have changed. Folks are spending far more than they used to for protective gear. It's become more than just having the gear, but more a case of spending more on the best you can afford. This change of attitude coupled with the price of proper stuff has resulted in folks hanging on to their kit for much longer - where it is possible to do so. Falling on your head hard is hopefully something that does not happen to a lot of guys often. If it does, replace. If not, hold on to your lid. That's my view anyway. Having said that though, I have gone through 4 helmets in 5 years - 3 crash related and one because of a little naggah at a De Wildt Shebeen knocking my scoot over onto my pot and cracking it along the jaw-guard.

Dean_E232

ClutchPump
Reaction score
Once upon a time. But with prices these days things have changed. Folks are spending far more than they used to for protective gear. It's become more than just having the gear, but more a case of spending more on the best you can afford. This change of attitude coupled with the price of proper stuff has resulted in folks hanging on to their kit for much longer - where it is possible to do so. Falling on your head hard is hopefully something that does not happen to a lot of guys often. If it does, replace. If not, hold on to your lid. That's my view anyway. Having said that though, I have gone through 4 helmets in 5 years - 3 crash related and one because of a little naggah at a De Wildt Shebeen knocking my scoot over onto my pot and cracking it along the jaw-guard.

on that note , can one not insure you helmet ?

Tombstone

The Old Ballie
Reaction score
So what is a reasonable price for a lid?
That's a tough one to answer. R6K for me is like R2K to someone else. A lot of price goes into successful marketing of some of the top brands. I would suggest that if the pot meets the various international standards ratings such as DOT, etc, then it should be good.

Personally, I drop between R4K and R6K every time I replace. But I have had great lids at the R2.5K range as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Two of my recent replacements have been insurance claims. The one that the bike fell on and one of my crashes.

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
I have race coverage for the bike and my kit. Last years fall paid me out 30k for the quad and about 18k for kit. They took all the damaged kit back from me. Helmet, boots, pants, shirt, gloves, goggles.

DangerDave

NotSoDangerous, Dave!
Reaction score
fair point...

I have always gone by the fact that all helmets are 'technically safe' as deemed by SABS, otherwise they are sold as party accessories(p!sspot helmets).
Obviously I do believe a shoei/ arai may protect the pip a bit better in a high speed crash( both in point and blunt impact) than an entry level lid, that being said I would rather buy a mid range helmet every 2 years than a top end lid every 4 years, but again personal choice.

What I think is more dangerous is people with helmets that don't fit. I got kakked on by a few people for refusing to help customers or refusing to sell a helmet to parents wanting their childs helmet to be 'a size bigger so they can grow into it' or guys wearing helmets that don't fit right and my heart goes out to the poor delivery bike riders wearing cash convertors specials.
Pawn shops should be banned from selling 2nd hand lids, you don't know if that helmet is safe or not on inspection, especially a non trained employee at a pawn shop.

Aidan

Carb 101 - ask me!
Reaction score
Not the composites that fail, it is generally the fixing points (rivets) that corrode, which are critical during impact to keep the helmet on your head. Had a friend's fixing point corrode of recently (the thing was not even two years old), only good for taking a dump in now.

Bud500

Forum Member
Reaction score
my heart goes out to the poor delivery bike riders wearing cash convertors specials.
Ja hel, had a delivery from Dominos the other day, the guy's helmet had a tennis ball sized hollow on the outside, apparently they stored it below the pizza oven so it softened and caved in....:icon_eek:

A

armpump

Not the composites that fail, it is generally the fixing points (rivets) that corrode, which are critical during impact to keep the helmet on your head. Had a friend's fixing point corrode of recently (the thing was not even two years old), only good for taking a dump in now.
Airoh ?

red_eye_righley

The Standard Thing
Reaction score
fair point...

I have always gone by the fact that all helmets are 'technically safe' as deemed by SABS, otherwise they are sold as party accessories(p!sspot helmets).
Obviously I do believe a shoei/ arai may protect the pip a bit better in a high speed crash( both in point and blunt impact) than an entry level lid, that being said I would rather buy a mid range helmet every 2 years than a top end lid every 4 years, but again personal choice.

What I think is more dangerous is people with helmets that don't fit. I got kakked on by a few people for refusing to help customers or refusing to sell a helmet to parents wanting their childs helmet to be 'a size bigger so they can grow into it' or guys wearing helmets that don't fit right and my heart goes out to the poor delivery bike riders wearing cash convertors specials.
Pawn shops should be banned from selling 2nd hand lids, you don't know if that helmet is safe or not on inspection, especially a non trained employee at a pawn shop.
And "insert deity here" forbid that it has been washed with clean green hey DD?