KDX 200 rebuild

SotS

Forum Member
Reaction score
Here are some photos of my bike before I started the rebuild.

With my last ride with my brother on a weekend a few months ago, we have stopped for some beers at the pub in Redan. When we headed home I’ve struggled to get her kick started. It was strange to me, because usually when she is ridden hot she starts with the first kick. I got her started, rode back home and pulled her into my workshop as usual. Then only thing I’ve done different then is I’ve closed the fuel tap to let her suck the carb a bit dry. (This by the way is a k@k move, I know better now)
The engine died about a minute later and I thought by myself okay that is strange, because it was rather quick. So I locked up and didn’t think twice about it further.

The following weekend I wanted to park the bike in the sun to get it washed. So I pulled out the choke, open the fuel tap and got onto the bike to kick start it. The kick starter was stuck, solidly.
I’ve tried everything, putting the bike in gear, tapping the kick starter base with a hammer etc.
I initially thought that the kick starter gear may got stuck or something. I’ve consulted with Honda gives you wings, and it was also his opinion that the kick starter may got stuck.
I decided to take the header pipe off because something told me that the rings might have come off the piston, causing the engine to get stuck.
When I got the header pipe of I noticed metal shaving inside the header pipe.
I started to strip the engine that same afternoon.

The metal shavings I got inside the header pipe.

A word to the wise. If you ever get a scenario where the kick starter is stuck, put the bike in gear and try to rock it backwards and forwards. Don’t try to force it if you can’t rock it backwards and forwards. If the back wheel can’t turn while the bike is in gear then most probably something very bad happened inside your bike’s engine like mine.

BigMike

Medium Mike
Reaction score
Re: My 2005 KDX 200 rebuild

jees.... doesnt look like too much is wrong with that scoot

SotS

Forum Member
Reaction score

Initially we thought that the bike might have heat seized. So I checked if there was any oil in the radiator and any white residue on the radiator cap which is usually an indication that oil somehow got into the coolant. The radiator’s coolant clear and clean and the level of the coolant was spot on.

I was starting to think that it must be more a piston ring failure but the compression test I did about 2 months ago indicated that the rings are still with in spec.

Here I’ve drained the radiators. And no, I’m not using the Missus tupperware I’ve got my own tupperware.

SotS

Forum Member
Reaction score

The spark plug took a knock from debris inside the combustion chamber. It is burning a dark grayish black color.

Engine head brackets off. Now just the head nuts, moment of truth…

The head had some pock marks and scratches.

Top of the piston and the cylinder

A close up…

Cylinder nuts removed

Destruction…Most of the piston skirt’s pieces ended up down in the crank case.

DangerDave

NotSoDangerous, Dave!
Reaction score

Having owned and maintained KDX's for a while I honestly think that they should get a new piston at about 40-60 hours or atleast new rings, the whole bulletproof reputation means that owners often run the pistons well over 100 hours and you see that piston skirt break like that often, seen it on my old bike and on 2 others that I have fixed. KDX OEM piston kit is very cheap so rather err on the side of caution. Also don't worry about a ring failure, I was once asked to check a bike cos 'it was not running well, had no power and just stalled when you pulled off unless revved really really high' the ring had somehow eaten its way out of the slot in the piston, bike was still starting and running just not well, will dig out the piston and upload a pic later.

SotS

Forum Member
Reaction score

DangerDave said:
Having owned and maintained KDX's for a while I honestly think that they should get a new piston at about 40-60 hours or atleast new rings, the whole bulletproof reputation means that owners often run the pistons well over 100 hours and you see that piston skirt break like that often, seen it on my old bike and on 2 others that I have fixed. KDX OEM piston kit is very cheap so rather err on the side of caution. Also don't worry about a ring failure, I was once asked to check a bike cos 'it was not running well, had no power and just stalled when you pulled off unless revved really really high' the ring had somehow eaten its way out of the slot in the piston, bike was still starting and running just not well, will dig out the piston and upload a pic later.
Thanks for that tip. I've actually went for a Wiseco Piston kit it was a few beers more expensiveness than the OEM psiton kit. Had a lot of holdups on the rebuild, but I'm getting there. Like I said, lots of patience with a bike build and in the end it will be worth it all.

red_eye_righley

The Standard Thing
Reaction score

Looks lekker. That scoot looks clean cosmetically and so should be well sorted once the engine is sorted.
Before the last 200, I had a 220 - apparently they are well known to have piston skirt failures and I decided to check, there was a massive crack in the skirt and I was able to just pull it off the piston with two fingers, flipping lucky not to have broken. The bike was on 64 hours though, i thought that quite low.

DenDirtbiker

I fall off a lot
Reaction score

I've got a soft spot for these bikes. I tried to pick up one earlier this year for a bargain, but the seller got cold feet. :lol: :lol:

SCOTTYDOG

Forum Member
Reaction score

Just a tip...atleast try and CLEAN the dust of the bike before doing open heart surgery on it!! :x :lol: :eek:

SotS

Forum Member
Reaction score

SCOTTYDOG said:
Just a tip...atleast try and CLEAN the dust of the bike before doing open heart surgery on it!! :x :lol: :eek:
I know that but this in my case was a complete rebuild so that is why I didn't bother so much with cleaning the dust etc.

adamktm

Forum Member
Reaction score

SotS said:
SCOTTYDOG said:
I know that but this in my case was a complete rebuild so that is why I didn't bother so much with cleaning the dust etc.
+1 - I will not work on a dirty bike

BigMike

Medium Mike
Reaction score

adamktm said:
SotS said:
+1 - I will not work on a dirty bike
read ..... he has stripped the bike top to bottom.... why bother cleanign it when you are going to dismantle everything, clean it piece by piece and re-assemble.... for a smart man you are failing badly

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

adamktm

Forum Member
Reaction score

Doesn't matter. I will not work on a dirty bike. It take 45min to wash a bike properly.

I guess I'm just a clean futhermucker :mrgreen:

SotS

Forum Member
Reaction score

adamktm said:
Doesn't matter. I will not work on a dirty bike. It take 45min to wash a bike properly.

I guess I'm just a clean futhermucker :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SotS

Forum Member
Reaction score

So these pieces of the piston I managed to fish out of the crank case.

A view into the crank case

For the guys that owns a KDX if you are ever wondering if the KIPS are working, remove this inspection cap and you will see the gear turning as the power valve opens and closes when the bike is idling and you rev it up.

Reed valves still looked good, so I've decided I'm not going to replace them.

SotS

Forum Member
Reaction score

One of the reasons why I've decided to go for a custom black frame are these points where my boots rubbed against the frame.

Now to prevent this from happening in the future I will either get myself those Hyde frame guards or alternatively just take clear laminated vinyl stickers and stick it on the frame area to protect the frame paint from scuffing.

BigMike

Medium Mike
Reaction score

i would get DUK black vinyl and put the hyde guards on top.... everything hyde makes will rub your frame to hell and back

SotS

Forum Member
Reaction score

If you are wondering why the bike is lying on its side it is because I've struggled for 2 days to get the swing arm bolts out. It was rusted solidly to the engine casing. I've soaked the bolt in a combination of penetrating oil, brake fluid and lubrication oil.

Here is a close up of the soaking:

Found this tool in the Missus' tool box.

Which can be used for loosening these here: