Knee brace advise

Rage

Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi Gents

After my last near off I had at top speed I realized braces are a must. What are the makes and models I need to be looking at?

adamktm

Forum Member
Reaction score
If you can’t afford CTi’s custom fit braces then the next best thing is the Pods, K4 or K8’s. K4’s are just as strong as the K8’s, but 80g heavier so rather buy the K4’s

J37

Forum Member
Reaction score
Based of my experience in also trying out a few knee braces.

If you have medical aid, ideally a high specc'ed plan. Phone them up and see if they cover knee braces. I know some guys who have gotten their medical aid to pay for their knee braces (CTI knee braces etc.).
This can save you a pretty penny.

EVS (their high specc'ed model) - They felt extremely small, didn't feel like they offered decent protection. Once you've tried on a few knee braces and then go to the EVS brace, you'll feel like you're wearing a conventional kiddies knee guard.

Asterisk Ultra Cell 2.0 - I used these for about 1-2 years. They're very comfortable, and from what I remember, you can source parts for them locally. My only issue with them are the fact that the small mechanics (on the sides between the patella cup and the two joints) that make the knee brace function are quite exposed, I ended up wrecking those to the point where the brace itself became redundant. To replace was too expensive to warrant, instead got new braces.

Mobius - In comparison to other braces these are quite bulky. When I tried them on with riding pants they felt quite a bit more meaty compared to the others I tried. Their hyper-extension prevention is really tough. I'd definitely re-try these should I need to replace my current braces.

Alpine stars - These felt cheap, and didn't feel like they'd make any difference in a big crash. They're really light and skinny.

POD - These are what I use currently. Up until now, never had one issue with them (had them for about 2 years?). The velcro straps is weakening on them slightly, but not enough to worry about replacing them yet. There is a company in Cape Town (acesports.co.za) which sell all the replacements for the knee brace, I think this is an important benefit to consider as the braces do take quite a bit of punishment. Some time next year I'll buy a refurb kit for the braces.

Leatt - Never tried them, some friends like theirs. Although I have heard of a few people have issues with the hinges and the bolts coming loose. Not sure if this is an older model issue or has been resolved.

CTI - I briefly looked at these a while back, but were quite a bit more moola than I was budgeting for. Apparently they're the best of the best. But have a look at the price and see if you can warrant paying that.

Tombstone

The Old Ballie
Reaction score
Go to your local orthotist and ask what you need for medical aid covered knee braces. I did - he said he needed a doctor's prescription and a motivation - which I provided (blew my ACL riding in the Rocky Mountains in 2005). I have a pair of custom made PODs that I didn't pay a dime for, and the only reason I know they cost R21K is because of what I saw on the medical aid statement!

P.S. They're a fuckin' fantastic pair of braces!!!

Rage

Forum Member
Reaction score
Based of my experience in also trying out a few knee braces.

If you have medical aid, ideally a high specc'ed plan. Phone them up and see if they cover knee braces. I know some guys who have gotten their medical aid to pay for their knee braces (CTI knee braces etc.).
This can save you a pretty penny.

EVS (their high specc'ed model) - They felt extremely small, didn't feel like they offered decent protection. Once you've tried on a few knee braces and then go to the EVS brace, you'll feel like you're wearing a conventional kiddies knee guard.

Asterisk Ultra Cell 2.0 - I used these for about 1-2 years. They're very comfortable, and from what I remember, you can source parts for them locally. My only issue with them are the fact that the small mechanics (on the sides between the patella cup and the two joints) that make the knee brace function are quite exposed, I ended up wrecking those to the point where the brace itself became redundant. To replace was too expensive to warrant, instead got new braces.

Mobius - In comparison to other braces these are quite bulky. When I tried them on with riding pants they felt quite a bit more meaty compared to the others I tried. Their hyper-extension prevention is really tough. I'd definitely re-try these should I need to replace my current braces.

Alpine stars - These felt cheap, and didn't feel like they'd make any difference in a big crash. They're really light and skinny.

POD - These are what I use currently. Up until now, never had one issue with them (had them for about 2 years?). The velcro straps is weakening on them slightly, but not enough to worry about replacing them yet. There is a company in Cape Town (acesports.co.za) which sell all the replacements for the knee brace, I think this is an important benefit to consider as the braces do take quite a bit of punishment. Some time next year I'll buy a refurb kit for the braces.

Leatt - Never tried them, some friends like theirs. Although I have heard of a few people have issues with the hinges and the bolts coming loose. Not sure if this is an older model issue or has been resolved.

CTI - I briefly looked at these a while back, but were quite a bit more moola than I was budgeting for. Apparently they're the best of the best. But have a look at the price and see if you can warrant paying that.
Thank you for the very thorough reply.

Go to your local orthotist and ask what you need for medical aid covered knee braces. I did - he said he needed a doctor's prescription and a motivation - which I provided (blew my ACL riding in the Rocky Mountains in 2005). I have a pair of custom made PODs that I didn't pay a dime for, and the only reason I know they cost R21K is because of what I saw on the medical aid statement!

I was not aware this is possible. I have a friend who owns his own orthotist and prosthetics business in our town. Medical aid is first prize

adamktm

Forum Member
Reaction score
If you’re not on the top plan that the medical aid pays for everything it will deplete your savings and you will probably have to pay in.

The upper schemes that work is that you get a certain amount of savings for the year, let’s say 12k for a comparison. Once that’s depleted the med aid will not pay for anything that normally comes out of savings for the further 3k( x-rays, pharmaceuticals, physio ect)
If you pay for all that then your med aid goes into happy days overdrive and this is when you smash them with the CTI medical letter that you need these to even carry on going for a shit!! Then they pay the full amount.

Disclaimer-this is for discovery plans because I went through the same thing 6 years ago. CTi’s were 20k and I had 2k left in the savings. 18k pay in. Bought pods for 6k.

pat218

Forum Member
Reaction score
I got a pair of Leatt X frame braces. Maybe not the most expensive/best, but I am very happy with them. I have found them comfortable and well fitting. Also the Leatt neck brace literally saved my life, so they can't be that bad IMO..

Tman21

Happily Married
Reaction score

How long ago TS?

I got a script straight after my ACL in 2016, both MSA's insurer and Discovery declined it. If you get the script and motivation they will allow you to use what is in your savings to pay towards the braces.

So unless you paying 15K a month for the best plan with some kind of gap cover or daily saving booster unlimited fucker its coming out of your pocket either way.

Ive been in the medical field for 12yrs, I have a marginally better understanding of medical aids etc than the average bloke and to add I have a mate who used to be an Ossur (spelling) agent who assisted me and the above is what we ended up with.

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
Cti's for sure. I managed to bend mine slightly after a fall. Had them for years. Insurance paid out the 25 odd k no questions asked.

The question is, what will a knee op cost and a limp for the rest of your life.

If you check the fall photos I received from Frikkie, my leg got bent up quite badly, and I was completely fine, the brace took it all up. Granted I have worn them for about 6 to 7 years, they have saved me on other times I am sure. Same to be said for the neck brace, just got a bit of sternum damage in return.

Tombstone

The Old Ballie
Reaction score
How long ago TS?

I got a script straight after my ACL in 2016, both MSA's insurer and Discovery declined it. If you get the script and motivation they will allow you to use what is in your savings to pay towards the braces.

So unless you paying 15K a month for the best plan with some kind of gap cover or daily saving booster unlimited fucker its coming out of your pocket either way.

Ive been in the medical field for 12yrs, I have a marginally better understanding of medical aids etc than the average bloke and to add I have a mate who used to be an Ossur (spelling) agent who assisted me and the above is what we ended up with.
Last year. Stock standard classic comprehensive

Rage

Forum Member
Reaction score
Cti's for sure. I managed to bend mine slightly after a fall. Had them for years. Insurance paid out the 25 odd k no questions asked.

The question is, what will a knee op cost and a limp for the rest of your life.

If you check the fall photos I received from Frikkie, my leg got bent up quite badly, and I was completely fine, the brace took it all up. Granted I have worn them for about 6 to 7 years, they have saved me on other times I am sure. Same to be said for the neck brace, just got a bit of sternum damage in return.
Just spoke to my medical aid(Compcare). Not happening. And my medical aid is very pro racing(All racing is covered with them including cross border Air evac). I'm on the top plan due to wifes cancer risk. Im going to give it a bash even though they said no over the phone. I have used my savings up for the year and have gone through my self payment gap so I have nothing to loose. Will let you know.

FSU!!!

FINGERS!!!!!!!!
Reaction score
I have been using the mobius braces now for the last 4 months and have never been happier they are super comfortable and the protection is brilliant has better patella protection than what my cti's had. I would recommend them to look at as they are also affordable

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
Just spoke to my medical aid(Compcare). Not happening. And my medical aid is very pro racing(All racing is covered with them including cross border Air evac). I'm on the top plan due to wifes cancer risk. Im going to give it a bash even though they said no over the phone. I have used my savings up for the year and have gone through my self payment gap so I have nothing to loose. Will let you know.
Holding thumbs!!:thumbs up: