Knee braces vs knee guards for hard enduro?

ktmpilot

Reaction score
pilot .... as my ortho said to me 5 weeks ago, if i wasnt wearing my CTi's i would not have walked into his rooms.

a little nasty fall resulted in a grade 2 MCL tear and a severly bruised ACL. you where there, you saw it happen, it wasnt a biggy.

The ortho promptly wrote me a motivation for new braces.
Thanks BM, I know all that but your fall was barely an hour into a ride.

I am not asking on this thread of the benefits of knee braces, I know all that, that is why I own a pair. What I am asking is what good knee braces, eg your CTI's, are on the latter part of long hard rides, at which stage my thought is that elastic strap guards are better than braces?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tombstone

The Old Ballie
Reaction score
Elastic strap on guards will not prevent lateral leg movement at the knee joint....... exactly what braces are designed to do.

Digger

Forum Member
Reaction score
My 2 cents.. There are more broken body parts at slow speed. Came off in a GOC at 120+ and just bruised. Came off at TK at about 10kmh and broke collar bone. My cousin has a similar story and will back me up in my theory. Fast falls bruise shit, slow falls break shit. WEAR YOUR KNEE BRACES!

Panagop

Forum Member
Reaction score
I hit a lurker after cop shop I was wearing Alpinestars B2 Carbon knee braces
this is what my knee looks like. Going for 2nd op on Monday

Tman21

Happily Married
Reaction score
Marra Panga that looks lovely! I had those B2 Carbon knee braces as well and found them to be rather kak! sold them after the 2nd ride.
I ma very happy with my thor knee guards as I am pretty slooooooow rider and the patella protection is awesome! still think expensive braces are better in theory but their effectiveness are determined by the way you fit them!
I would not mind a pair of CTI's but at the price I will probably never own a pair unless I break a knee and the medical aid comes to the party!

FSU!!!

FINGERS!!!!!!!!
Reaction score
If after a while your straps get loose on knee braces just stop and re-adjust, the same thing will happen on the elastic strap types unless you strap them so tight you also loose blood circulation which wont help either!! The amount of times that knee braces have saved my knees makes much more sense to adjust or deal with a little discomfort.

Chunky

Forum Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem with the leatt. Don't know how to get it sorted. If you strap them tight it makes t5hem very uncomfortable. regretting buying the leatts!!

Tman21

Happily Married
Reaction score
I have recently acquired a set of pod K700's, used them for the 1st time over the weekend and boy oh boy they are super comfy!

Rooster

Astrids Bizatch
Reaction score
Uncle Ian, your self moderation is inspiring!

Wazi

Forum Member
Reaction score
I rode with Thor knee guards for a year as I found braces causing cramps - I thought they did a perfect job in slow tech!! Then I managed to get my self well my dad managed to get my self a pair of CTI braces! A few times as my riding has improved slightly and I tend to be using the down hills and faster paced rest time do I some times find my self hitting a lurker and landing with legs down and catching a rock with my boot causing my leg to twist - funny enough you will twist your ankle but knee stays in place!

Checks picks below from Hberg on sunday! Boot go wedged between 2 rocks and hand got stuck on throttle - twisted my boot enough to rip stitching completely! Feet my foot give way but knee firmly supported by the brace not allowing the over extension! I recon I was doing about 5-10km p/h