Ktm 790 adventure and adventure R

Naughty Ian

Gunston Green
Reaction score
285k eish

what the price of a 1190?
Just remember, a 790R is about R180K, this bike is not an average Joe soaps bike, hence only making 500 off. They tickled my fancy a bit, but with Chuckadeer dissing me, I must think - I'll maybe let him have mine

Warren

Forum Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a 790 Adventure, in my reading it seems that some guys reckon that even the adventure R suspension needs some work for offroad riding.

My theory was rather buy the standard 790 and invest in proper suspension and triple clamps as it may need to be changed in any case?

Any thoughts on upgrades? there seems to be a lot of information internationally but not much locally

Naughty Ian

Gunston Green
Reaction score
I recently bought a 790 Adventure, in my reading it seems that some guys reckon that even the adventure R suspension needs some work for offroad riding.

My theory was rather buy the standard 790 and invest in proper suspension and triple clamps as it may need to be changed in any case?

Any thoughts on upgrades? there seems to be a lot of information internationally but not much locally
I have got a R and I haven't even changed springs on it, I just set the preload up to 6 and it handles perfect. I do a bit of decent off roading with it

Warren

Forum Member
Reaction score
I have got a R and I haven't even changed springs on it, I just set the preload up to 6 and it handles perfect. I do a bit of decent off roading with it
Thanks Ian good to know, I can get my hands on a R suspension may be the cheapest way to go.

StuartC

Forum Member
Reaction score
How fast do you ride that you need "R" suspension?

Warren

Forum Member
Reaction score
How fast do you ride that you need "R" suspension?
I get bye, the difference comes down to safety when you riding offroad or technical riding.

For road riding or dirt road standard suspension is fine but as I learned on my 690 things go wrong quickly if you hit a lurker at speed offroad, my intended purpose buying a 790 is to cover distance across single track, passes and riverbeds like in Lesotho.

In 2016 over 5 days we rode across Lesotho on 690's and only did 200km on the road/dirt roads and just on 1000km on single track and passes etc. you value a decent suspension on a trip like that.

Tman21

Happily Married
Reaction score
I get bye, the difference comes down to safety when you riding offroad or technical riding.

For road riding or dirt road standard suspension is fine but as I learned on my 690 things go wrong quickly if you hit a lurker at speed offroad, my intended purpose buying a 790 is to cover distance across single track, passes and riverbeds like in Lesotho.

In 2016 over 5 days we rode across Lesotho on 690's and only did 200km on the road/dirt roads and just on 1000km on single track and passes etc. you value a decent suspension on a trip like that.
Was about to offer you 690 suspension:icon_lol: but sure you will find inserts or cones to be adapted.

Warren

Forum Member
Reaction score
Was about to offer you 690 suspension:icon_lol: but sure you will find inserts or cones to be adapted.
Thanks Tman21 I am exploring all options :icon_lol: chatting to Andrew Langston at KTM North America at the moment and he is putting together some decent options so if teh 690 works I will call. After all the bullets I took I am not as strong as I used to be so I need all the help I can get as a ballie. I can't afford to hit the ground hard at this stage so this is my way back to riding offroad after 2 long years.

Tman21

Happily Married
Reaction score
Thanks Tman21 I am exploring all options :icon_lol: chatting to Andrew Langston at KTM North America at the moment and he is putting together some decent options so if teh 690 works I will call. After all the bullets I took I am not as strong as I used to be so I need all the help I can get as a ballie. I can't afford to hit the ground hard at this stage so this is my way back to riding offroad after 2 long years.
Legend tax my man! Glad you getting back into the swing of it!

Naughty Ian

Gunston Green
Reaction score
Good to be back on the bike again, I'm sure.