Lesotho Enduro

DangerDave

NotSoDangerous, Dave!
Reaction score
Mike can you explain what you mean by a gps as 1 dimensional?

Lat, Long, Z(elevation) relevent to the WGS84 datum and a time component puts it at 4d in space and time?

But I aggree the 20m rule is a bit loose as well, take the wild west river bed, when you riding up in certain sections there are lines parallel to the river bed less than 20m away which are plenty faster and easier.

StuartC

Forum Member
Reaction score
The rules never gave you carte blanche to ride 20m off the designated track, you had a 20m run off area for over shooting but had to rejoin where you left off

BigMike

Medium Mike
Reaction score
Mike can you explain what you mean by a gps as 1 dimensional?

Lat, Long, Z(elevation) relevent to the WGS84 datum and a time component puts it at 4d in space and time?

But I aggree the 20m rule is a bit loose as well, take the wild west river bed, when you riding up in certain sections there are lines parallel to the river bed less than 20m away which are plenty faster and easier.
When you follow a track on a gps ... it is a line you follow. It doesn’t show you a path/track/elevation etc ... it is a line.... one dimensional.

DangerDave

NotSoDangerous, Dave!
Reaction score
When you follow a track on a gps ... it is a line you follow. It doesn’t show you a path/track/elevation etc ... it is a line.... one dimensional.
Fair enough I get what you saying.

kyleschoeman

Forum Member
Reaction score
But riders at the national were not navigating with GPS.... They purely ride with GPS and hand it in after the finish so the routes can be verified..... "shortcuts" checked, etc if a complaint is lodged.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

George250

Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi, I raced the National and we did actually race using the GPS because the track was very poorly marked. The specials were not bunted only red dots sprayed on rocks. Was very easy to make a mistake on specials without realizing it.. Nationals is not a gps event so if you go by markings they were way over 20m apart with no bunting so you can’t actually define what actually 20m off track. My opinion not cheating, poor markings caused problems but cost most time, very difficult to gain advantage.

BigMike

Medium Mike
Reaction score
any way ... the rider in question is probably one of the most humble hard working people i have ever met.

i highly doubt the oke would cheat

BULL

The Blue Puta
Reaction score
any way ... the rider in question is probably one of the most humble hard working people i have ever met.

i highly doubt the oke would cheat
A Syringa boy!

KTMjedi

Forum Member
Reaction score
OK seriously don't want to get into this particular situation. BUT you cannot write rules to cover every scenario and for me its quite simple and the current rule covers it. its about advantage and I find it strange everyone is going on about time only? An endure like any race is about time AND distance! the rules allow for no more than 10 meters either side a market course no more! Anything more than that is an advantage! if a course is 38.2 kms then that is the distance you need to cover and if you cut out anything more than that you have gained an advantage finished. remember the 20 meter rule only allows for over shooting a corner and not so that you can shorten the course by any length as it clearly states you cannot turn inside any turn markers. Also this is not label someone a cheat as yes you can make a mistake but the rules don't allow for a mistake! I know of many riders penalised for things completely out of their control but that is racing and if you fall outside of the rules set well then the penalty needs to be implemented. As a point a rider was penalised at the Winterberg because his GPS stopped working and the rules state you need to have a functioning GPS...HE won the seniors before the penalty was imposed!

George250

Forum Member
Reaction score
The bottom line is the timed special test were not adequately marked, and the tracks did not correspond exactly to the markers therefore it not possible to penalize someone when the track is not properly defined. It was a nice track but the event organizers did not put enough effort into marking the special test and as a direct result we have this situation.

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
Go watch the documentary/movie Icarus that was released this year, quickest way to lose sporting heroes left right and center and with all this happening the question is when will sponsors stop sponsoring athletes and turn to sponsoring events for publicity and product sales.

Hectic!!!

I have always had the opinion though that at the higher levels, everyone is doing something illegal in some way or another. The ones that are really good, just don't get caught.

Dean_E232

ClutchPump
Reaction score
Oz if the track is poorly marked and you trying to stay on course using a GPs , it is virtually impossible not to go offline and stay on the " marked " course . how would any one then be able to determine if an advantage was gained or not as there was never a clearly marked course in the first place to go by , i know the person in person and can vouch he would never cheat .

how accurate can the GPS route loaded be to determine if he was way of course or not ? surely a gps has its error factor too to take into consideration , never seen to gps give the exact same line either and its all depended on how how far out or in you zoom in to follow the course to for the rider to accurately determine the correct course line , the rules do not stipulate at which zoom level you should be riding at either

KTMjedi

Forum Member
Reaction score
The entire first lap was a sighter ?...also this is not about someone cheating and I want to be clear I am not saying that, BUT to me the rules are clear. if the track was badly marked then that should have been protested. This to me is about the rules and not the rider. I also think he is a stand up guy and I honestly feel sorry for him but like I said, many people have been penalised for unintentional rule infringements? I am saying he had every right to appeal and he won the appeal...so to those that are questioning him are wrong this is not about him but how rules are interpreted and I am only giving my interpretation as well....before I also upset people.