Man and Machine - 9-10 August 2019

NUMSCH

Former Duchess of Fourways
Reaction score
Cost of this event? And where exactly is it held?
NEXT EVENT WILL BE 9-10 AUGUST 2019 at BOSTON. ENTRY FEE WILL REMAIN R950!

Dirt cheap compared to other multi day enduros.

Tman21

Happily Married
Reaction score
2 days of riding? Type of distance? @Dendirtbagger,. You have a relive to share?

Or anyone else with garmin stats? Very reasonably priced id say!

NUMSCH

Reaction score
MAN AND MACHINE is a 2 day navigational enduro (gps required). This event is not a race, but a test of man and machine against the elements. This is an adventure which tests the skill and endurance of the weekend warrior and professional racers alike. We work closely with local farmers and the rural communities to provide a safe and successful event. The 2 days of riding will cater for the Intermediate and Hard skill levels. The distance over the 2 days will be approximately 150 - 200 km. There will be a refuel on both days. Fuel will be taken out on both days by the organisers. A maximum of 5 litres per bike will be required. This year entries will be capped at 400 riders, making it SA's biggest 2 day Enduro. Previous years entrants will have preference. The object of the weekend is to successfully complete both days, and receive your finishers trophy at prize giving. No Finish No Trophy.

thebob

My name is Coco
Reaction score
It's not tech at all. There are some rock gardens and off chambers, but mainly just lekker riding in the Midlands with good opportunity to stretch some cable as well. This year was 180km for the hard route

DenDirtbiker

I fall off a lot
Reaction score
Unfortunately got no Relive, but as NUMSCH said, it was only R950 for an extremely well organized, 2 day navigational event. Not as technically difficult as Impi, but on par as far as organization goes. Fuel, water, Steri stumpies and some chow taken out to DSP's. Marshals sweeping the course. Relatively well marked, even though it's strictly navigational.

Distances this year were around 80km per day. Last year was closer to 100km per day, if I remember correctly.

Well done Cheezy, you okes are rock stars. :thumbs up:

Hey ozosborne, did you get any Relive or similar?

NUMSCH

Reaction score
Unfortunately got no Relive, but as NUMSCH said, it was only R950 for an extremely well organized, 2 day navigational event. Not as technically difficult as Impi, but on par as far as organization goes. Fuel, water, Steri stumpies and some chow taken out to DSP's. Marshals sweeping the course. Relatively well marked, even though it's strictly navigational.

Distances this year were around 80km per day. Last year was closer to 100km per day, if I remember correctly.

How would you compare this to Matat2Pont from organisation and routes? Are all meals included with Man & Machine?

DenDirtbiker

I fall off a lot
Reaction score
How would you compare this to Matat2Pont from organisation and routes? Are all meals included with Man & Machine?
Mata2pont is a whole other kettle of fish.

There's so much more organizing that goes into moving a camp for 300 plus people for 3 days in a stripe. Not to mention the chow. When they say "come hungry", they mean it.

Man and Machine doesn't provide food, but we stayed at the race venue, Boston T Party, and they had caterers there. Reasonably priced and very lekker food, not shy with their helpings either.

Matat2pont is also slightly more technical than M&M, but with an extra day and longer distances too.

J37

Forum Member
Reaction score
Tman21

I'd say M&M is comparable to this years Bronze Qualifier.
Easier than a funduro tech-wise, but obviously more distance than a funduro.

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
Im interested to find out if you think a 12 year old on a 85 who is a fairly good rider, easily finishes GXCC, Natal XC's and can ride for 4-5 hrs in technical terrain would finish the intermediate class of M and M
Definitely. Especially if riding with an adult that can help where need be. But there is not that much hard tech on the hard route, so I would imagine the intermediate even less. It is hard to say which parts are what, as one cannot easily tell where the routes merge. I heard mention at riders briefing that more than 80% of the course is common, so I suspect hard just does little dart out sections of maybe a kay or 3.

I can highly recommend this event. I did my 3rd one this year. My first one was pretty tough, but apparently it was a harder year and I was very new to bikes.

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
Cost of this event? And where exactly is it held?
R950. Boston Howick. MOney very well spent.

Accommodation mostly is a bit rustic. We hit a luck and found really luxurious accommodation 23 kays from the start which we now book yearly. So if you dont dig kak accomodation, then start searching early. The place we book at has just added a very lekker log cabin to their place. Let me know if you want details.

- - - Updated - - -

Loop :thumbs up:
Terrain :thumbs up:
Weather :thumbs up:

Really enjoyed M&M this year.

Ron didn't look happy!
Apparently Dean was just not keen to ride on day 2.
Well done on your times achieved bud!!! Crazy fast!!!:thumbs up::icon_eek::thumbs up:

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score

Not sure how relive works? Still need to check out the app:icon_lol:

I took a bit of video footage with my virb. But as usual the footage just ends up on my hard drive. I havent figured out the easy way of editing yet after all these years:icon_redface:

J37

Forum Member
Reaction score
Bob and myself stayed in Howick, about a 45 min drive from the venue.
Have a variety of choice for places to eat. R1500 per-person for 3 nights.

Well done on your times achieved bud!!! Crazy fast!!!:thumbs up::icon_eek::thumbs up:

Day 1

Day 2

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
Mata2pont is a whole other kettle of fish.

There's so much more organizing that goes into moving a camp for 300 plus people for 3 days in a stripe. Not to mention the chow. When they say "come hungry", they mean it.

Man and Machine doesn't provide food, but we stayed at the race venue, Boston T Party, and they had caterers there. Reasonably priced and very lekker food, not shy with their helpings either.

Matat2pont is also slightly more technical than M&M, but with an extra day and longer distances too.
Would like to try that one year, but dont think the Mrs and kids will be keen on the tent:icon_lol:

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
Bob and myself stayed in Howick, about a 45 min drive from the venue.
Have a variety of choice for places to eat. R1500 per-person for 3 nights.

Day 1

Day 2
Do you have a heart rate monitor on when you do this?

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score

Tman21

Happily Married
Reaction score
Wrist based BPM is a pot naai especially when riding a bike. Also explains why the calories consumed looks like you were taking a nap.

Seems like a great event and seriously good value for money.