Neck braces

miks

Forum Member
Reaction score
Howzit guys

Who of you are riding with neck braces? And what are you riding with?
I've had an EVS neck collar before (the soft one) but think it was a waste of money.

Two that seem proper are the Leatt and Alpinestars ones. Price differs about R1500 between the two. Which one would you go for and why?

NUMSCH

Former Duchess of Fourways
Reaction score
I have the Leatt and Apline Stars, both gathering dust in my garage. The Apline Stars is like new condition. Yours for R500.

miks

Forum Member
Reaction score
I have the Leatt and Apline Stars, both gathering dust in my garage. The Apline Stars is like new condition. Yours for R500.
Thanks, will PM you now to arrange

StefanKTM

Forum Member
Reaction score
Old thread but here goes anyway: I had a older generation Leatt GPX Race neck brace, had a moerse fall early in December. Broken helmet, chest protector etc. I was in hospital for 4 days and had a bit of bleeding in the brain, to give you an idea of the kind of impact. I was also wearing my Neck brace, which got a bit mangled in the crash beyond anything ever usable again, BUT there is no doubt in my mind that my Neck brace saved my life or at least saved me from a broken neck. I have since recovered and had my first VERY chill ride this weekend : I have since the incident bought a Leatt GPX 5.5 neck brace and a good quality helmet, I WILL NEVER RIDE WITHOUT THIS EVER AGAIN.

slugboat

Forum Member
Reaction score
Good to hear Stefan, I have become a bit lazy with the brace of late, it does restrict you looking around. Good wake up and glad you have mended.

DangerDave

NotSoDangerous, Dave!
Reaction score
Braces are only restrictive and uncomfortable if you don't set them up right. Doc also reckons I only walked away from a lawn dart crash in 2014 because of mine. I have a friend who fell of a bicycle in Oct at literally like 3km/h and she is stuck with bolts into her skull and her head held up with a halo frame for the next few weeks.

I have a leatt, happy with all the adjust-ability of it.

StefanKTM

Forum Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the good wishes guys, if I convinced one person to start wearing a neck brace with my story then it was worth it.:thumbs up:

pat218

Forum Member
Reaction score
Old thread but here goes anyway: I had a older generation Leatt GPX Race neck brace, had a moerse fall early in December. Broken helmet, chest protector etc. I was in hospital for 4 days and had a bit of bleeding in the brain, to give you an idea of the kind of impact. I was also wearing my Neck brace, which got a bit mangled in the crash beyond anything ever usable again, BUT there is no doubt in my mind that my Neck brace saved my life or at least saved me from a broken neck. I have since recovered and had my first VERY chill ride this weekend : I have since the incident bought a Leatt GPX 5.5 neck brace and a good quality helmet, I WILL NEVER RIDE WITHOUT THIS EVER AGAIN.
I have also been very lucky with my old leatt neck brace, back in 2012, I was at a mx track and did a jump. The front of the bike dropped and I went head first into the ground from around 1 or 2 meters. I broke C6,C7 and T1 vertebra, but i was extremely lucky not to damage the spinal cord. I was in a medical neck brace for around 6 months, but the neurosurgeon said the leatt saved my life. I always ride with full kit, and the best quality I can afford.

Boomstomp

Forum Member
Reaction score
How is the Leatt moto gpx, I assume its older as I cant find it new?

StefanKTM

Forum Member
Reaction score
How is the Leatt moto gpx, I assume its older as I cant find it new?
This is exactly the one that I was wearing in the fall, GPX Race and GPX Moto is exactly the same(only the Thoracic/back part looks different).

I called the rep to ask if there are still parts available on them and to Quote him: It is inherently not as safe as a newer one obviously, because there is newer technology available now and secondly those models where made 7-8 years ago so the material is older, which is not the problem but if its been used and been under stress for that long it also makes it less "safe". Also if you buy second hand, what are the chances that it's taken a few knocks.

My 2 cents is I personally (after what happened to me) am more than willing to spend the money on the expensive safest model out there but as always its always safer to have something rather than nothing, so buy what you can afford to keep you safe.

Tman21

Happily Married
Reaction score
I feel the same when it comes to gear, Boots and helmet especially.

but I could never get used to a neck brace, tried the leatt combo's of chest protector with hydro pack etc even with different helmets. It makes me extremely anxious if I cant look up or down enough with the restrictions of the brace.

Boomstomp

Forum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response, the one I can get looks almost brand new and at a 10th of the price of a new one but will look at what is out there.

I dont wear lots of protection but starting to re-consider that.

I have my boots and helmet but then just use riding pants and riding shirt.

NUMSCH

Former Duchess of Fourways
Reaction score
This is exactly the one that I was wearing in the fall, GPX Race and GPX Moto is exactly the same(only the Thoracic/back part looks different).

I called the rep to ask if there are still parts available on them and to Quote him: It is inherently not as safe as a newer one obviously, because there is newer technology available now and secondly those models where made 7-8 years ago so the material is older, which is not the problem but if its been used and been under stress for that long it also makes it less "safe". Also if you buy second hand, what are the chances that it's taken a few knocks.

My 2 cents is I personally (after what happened to me) am more than willing to spend the money on the expensive safest model out there but as always its always safer to have something rather than nothing, so buy what you can afford to keep you safe.
StefanKTM - What parts do you need as I may be able to help you out.

FHM_V

Forum Member
Reaction score
WOW.... Glad you're OK, and back on the bike! Big ups to you...and your gear ofcourse...:thumbs up:

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
Completely agree with this. Neck brace always. Also had a big crash years ago. Managed to damage my sternum area a bit, to the point that when I stretch now it clicks in and out. I reckon if it wasnt for the brace my neck would have been smashed for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Completely agree with this. Neck brace always. Also had a big crash years ago. Managed to damage my sternum area a bit, to the point that when I stretch now it clicks in and out. I reckon if it wasnt for the brace my neck would have been smashed for sure.