New 350 or cone valve forks

Toors

Forum Member
Reaction score
Opinions please?

I normally buy a new off-road bike every 2 years. For various reasons (a two year old and an employment challenge) I did not put the normal hours on the bike (only at about 120 hours) where I normally do about 150 hours in a year.

So here is the question, do I keep the bike for another year or get some WP cone valve forks instead (will carry them over to the next new bike)

I.e are the cone valve forks really that good? Hilton seems to think so...

Anyone with 1st hand experience?

MaxthePanda

Forum Member
Reaction score
Don't have an answer for you, but almost exactly the same question. Sell my 2014 Beta 300RR for an almost new Cone 300 or keep it and fit a new set of KYB SSS forks.

In your case if you're happy with the current suspension I'd vote new bike. If you're not I'd vote for the cone valves.

Fokit. I'd go for the forks anyway.

Tman21

Happily Married
Reaction score
Hey Toors, I have not ridden with you as yet. But I have heard from riders even better than me that if you are not fast enough you will not benefit from the forks, amd at 38k a set its a hefty investment.
would say service forks and have them setup for your weight if they are already and you can afford it rather spend the cash on a new bike but im sure a 2013 with oboy 120hrs will be good untill the 17's arrive!

Bush Wacker

Forum Member
Reaction score
If i had the funds I would buy cones.
saying that, i would only race with them, because they are very stiff and harsh for slower riding.

If anything the wp cc forks are the best trade off.

BigMike

Medium Mike
Reaction score
Dries.... With all due respect, you are about 25km/hr average speed too slow for cone valves. Mark350, Wacker, ShercoMan21 yes..... You and me... hell no. Buy a new scooter rather bud. In fact wait for the 2017

Last edited:

Toors

Forum Member
Reaction score
Dries.... With all thinking
pect, you are about 25km/hr average speed too slow for cone valves. Mark350, Wacker, ShercoMan21 yes..... You and me... hell no. Buy a new scooter rather bud. In fact wait for the 2017
Ummhh, well, yes maybe... ok then... :icon_rolleyes:

Rooster

Astrids Bizatch
Reaction score
Wait a week or two, I may be able to arrange a swop oc for cc cone forks

Tman21

Happily Married
Reaction score
Dries.... With all due respect, you are about 25km/hr average speed too slow for cone valves. Mark350, Wacker, ShercoMan21 yes..... You and me... hell no. Buy a new scooter rather bud. In fact wait for the 2017
Bwahahahaaha thanks bigMac but I reckon I do not have enough speed or talent to utalise them myself, that said Ive had great success with CC's thats been set up by a guru and not me as wacker said but even then it only helps a when going faster and not so much in the slow stuff!
Disclaimer: T's & C's apply and this is only my experience

Dean_E232

ClutchPump
Reaction score
buy a wire brush scratch the itch until it goes away ... i would opt for a new bike

AfricaOffroad

Forum Member
Reaction score
Spend the money on the suspension. My second hand cones and trax were money well spend.
Makes handling of bike stable and confidence inspiring.
Just how much it psychs out my riding buddies makes them worth the money.

MaxthePanda

Forum Member
Reaction score
On the other hand if you spend the money and don't suddenly drop your buddies you look like a right tit!

Bush Wacker

Forum Member
Reaction score
What the dont say in the video is, cone valve forks are VERY rigid and offer much less flex than stock forks. Cone valves will handle better when set up properly, but the ride is more harsh and alot less forgiving on the hands, their is also alot more feedback and you feel every little bit of chop. They are not, plush cruising around forks. They are designed to be as safe as possible and not deflect when smashing into square edges.

i would still love a set, but cant justify the cost vs performance gain. Honestly if you feel that strongly that you need better auspension, buy a new wr..

Rooster

Astrids Bizatch
Reaction score
Tested mates cone setup 300, I hated it too harsh. Prefer my oc ones thanks. Then again, I am a novice, but still..

boet747

Forum Member
Reaction score
Was reading elsewhere that a guy with skillz can make stock suspension work much better than a pleb like me can make high end suspension work. If I was you I'd invest in skillz and buy the '17 model.