Newb with clutch lever issues - need a short lever maybe?

GrahamRob

Forum Member
Reaction score
Howzit guys,

I had my third ride yesterday afternoon, just through the veld and side gravel roads etc. Im still super super sketchy, Im really surprised I haven't had a big fall yet, but anyway.
Im having issues with my clutch - Im trying with two fingers, but then the lever hits my other fingers knuckles, it feels like there should be a short little lever on there, just for two fingers, does anyone use a short clutch lever?
Or alternatively, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

thebob

My name is Coco
Reaction score
Try move the clutch lever in on the bars, that is closer to the centre of the bar

igundane

Forum Member
Reaction score
It could just be a positioning issue... Move it around on the bars to where you find it works best

ha... thebob beat me to it

Aidan

Carb 101 - ask me!
Reaction score
Simple, Adjust your lever so that the clutch is fully disengaged once it makes contact with your other fingers. All clutch levers have this adjustment.
If you need further help, send pic of you clutch lever.

Fires

Forum Member
Reaction score
Simple, Adjust your lever so that the clutch is fully disengaged once it makes contact with your other fingers. All clutch levers have this adjustment.
If you need further help, send pic of you clutch lever.
Yup, this is the best way...although moving the clutch on the bars a bit might help with overall position

GrahamRob

Forum Member
Reaction score
Ah geez! Cant believe I didn't think of just moving it further in on the bars. Oops, haha. Thanks guys.
In terms of adjusting it so it takes earlier - it seems the cable is old and stretched out - the adjustment on the lever itself is screwed out to its max, and I cant see how else to adjust it as you would like with old bicycle brakes, unless I haven't looked hard enough.

Lands

One tequila, two tequila...
Reaction score
In terms of adjusting it so it takes earlier - it seems the cable is old and stretched out - the adjustment on the lever itself is screwed out to its max, and I cant see how else to adjust it as you would like with old bicycle brakes, unless I haven't looked hard enough.
What bike is this?

GrahamRob

Forum Member
Reaction score
Its an old YZ125 - 2000 or 2001 model, not 100% sure.

Thanks Armpump, that looks very handy, I'll have a look at that clip this evening.

fubar

Forum Member
Reaction score
Some cables have an additional adjustment at the opposite end, and another one a little way in from the lever, on the outer sheath.

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
Ah geez! Cant believe I didn't think of just moving it further in on the bars. Oops, haha. Thanks guys.
Just pull the cable out and take it to a local cable guy, they can make you up a new one while you wait. Just tell them how much shorter, might as well replace the outer while you are at it, it should make the clutch pull a little softer if the sheath is poked.