Overheating Rear Brakes

whyme

Forum Member
Reaction score
Apart from dragging brakes too long into the corners what could be other reason.

Whenever I try to gun it I end up with no rear brakes.

Thanks

J37

Forum Member
Reaction score
Apart from dragging brakes too long into the corners what could be other reason.

Whenever I try to gun it I end up with no rear brakes.

Thanks
Rebleed your brakes, I use Motorex Dot5.1 never had an issue. Also 5.1 you don't have to worry about stripping paint etc.

Check your brake pads. If you replace your brake pads, rebleed the system.

Make sure the free play on your rear brake lever is 4mm.

Also... check your disc is within spec - and straight
Front: 2.5mm
Rear: 3.5mm

Last edited:

whyme

Forum Member
Reaction score
Rebleed your brakes, I use Motorex Dot5.1 never had an issue. Also 5.1 you don't have to worry about stripping paint etc.

Check your brake pads. If you replace your brake pads, rebleed the system.

Make sure the free play on your rear brake lever is 4mm.

Also... check your disc is within spec - and straight
Front: 2.5mm
Rear: 3.5mm
Thanks, I think I must try free play, even though I do love them biting in early but I have to find solution as this happens at every race. Bleeding has been done many times in past.

Dean_E232

ClutchPump
Reaction score
you should try getting into the practice of braking only with your front brakes and using your rear brake to steer the bike .

you have for more braking power with front brakes than with the rear as the rear tends to lock up and gets you sideways and will make you slide .

Try it yourself and you will see the bike will stop much quicker using front brakes than rear you will be able then also to brake later than you usually do .

Shawn

Forum Member
Reaction score
Replace the fluid with a good brand race fluid, its not a bleeding issue, the fluid cant handle the heat and it boils and you loose brakes, race fluids can handle higher temps

George250

Forum Member
Reaction score
Use dot 5 brake fluid , must have free play and make sure the brake pads have there heat shield plates fitted. Some pads dont come with them fitted and they need to be taken off the originals many people dont realize the importance and just put them in without the heat shields. Most of the heat is transfer from the pad through the piston into the fluid and thats why the shield plates are very important.

Bush Wacker

Forum Member
Reaction score
This drove me mental...and I was pretty particular about bleeding brakes often, with castrol srf or motul rbf 660...
Ended up buying a real brembo caliper and problems are gone, brakes get hot, squeak like crazy, but dont fade.
I think I am a nervous pedal dabber, I tried everything under the sun, and those bolt on cooler things are a gimmick.
I have had the pads nearly blue from heat after a harescramble without boiling or fade... The pads do still bend a bit sometimes though and are a bitch to get out for replacement...

whyme

Forum Member
Reaction score
This drove me mental...and I was pretty particular about bleeding brakes often, with castrol srf or motul rbf 660...
Ended up buying a real brembo caliper and problems are gone, brakes get hot, squeak like crazy, but dont fade.
I think I am a nervous pedal dabber, I tried everything under the sun, and those bolt on cooler things are a gimmick.
I have had the pads nearly blue from heat after a harescramble without boiling or fade... The pads do still bend a bit sometimes though and are a bitch to get out for replacement...

How much real brembo caliper? Doesnt KTM come with one?

I think I am also nervous dabber, I am so confident on rear not so much on front even though I do use it.

whyme

Forum Member
Reaction score
you should try getting into the practice of braking only with your front brakes and using your rear brake to steer the bike .

you have for more braking power with front brakes than with the rear as the rear tends to lock up and gets you sideways and will make you slide .

Try it yourself and you will see the bike will stop much quicker using front brakes than rear you will be able then also to brake later than you usually do .
Until the front washes than all confidence on front gone. To be honest issue must be with bike somehow, I have to stop and pour water on damn thing to get it to cool down.

NUMSCH

Former Duchess of Fourways
Reaction score
Until the front washes than all confidence on front gone. To be honest issue must be with bike somehow, I have to stop and pour water on damn thing to get it to cool down.
99% chance that you are dragging your foot!

- - - Updated - - -

You should try and practice not cooking your brakes by dragging your foot! :icon_lol:

J37

Forum Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I think I must try free play, even though I do love them biting in early but I have to find solution as this happens at every race. Bleeding has been done many times in past.
You can set the brake lever itself to any height (well as long as the stop makes contact), as long as you have that 4mm free play. Free play is super important.

Bush Wacker

Forum Member
Reaction score
How much real brembo caliper? Doesnt KTM come with one?

I think I am also nervous dabber, I am so confident on rear not so much on front even though I do use it.
The stock one is cast and holds a tiny fluid volume, the factory one is billet, and holds more fluid, less flexx bla bla bla, Its actually so dam strong, I did a 180 degree spin out the first time I dabbed. I reckon half the reason it doesnt overheat is because you know the second there is a ball hair of pressure on it...
Price = Priceless:icon_lol: #mastercard

Dean_E232

ClutchPump
Reaction score
99% chance that you are dragging your foot!

- - - Updated - - -

You should try and practice not cooking your brakes by dragging your foot! :icon_lol:
different situation this different circumstances , never cooked brakes on my plastic or super bikes , only on the 790 when mel rides pillion as you sit differently and foot at a different angle , expensive lesson my boet .

Mitch

Forum Member
Reaction score
different situation this different circumstances , never cooked brakes on my plastic or super bikes , only on the 790 when mel rides pillion as you sit differently and foot at a different angle , expensive lesson my boet .
And who said you were too old to learn anything....

Bush Wacker

Forum Member
Reaction score
I have met Mel, she is definitely NOT your handbrake...

Dean_E232

ClutchPump
Reaction score
the front will not wash , once you get the hang of it you will thank me , obviously in muddy conditions or very loose or thick sand you apply brake slightly different , anyway you should have done all your braking before a corner or turn , front brakes will give you 80 % more braking power , if you apply lever correctly and not grab handfuls it will not wash . I ride with very little play on the front brake and use the rear brake to slide or steer the bike into a corner , its best to try doing all your braking whilst bike is still upright though , if you need to stop in a hurry the front brake is best . the rear brake tends to like up quicker and will put you into a slide , same as if applying to much rear brake on a off camber .