Question about navigation (Romaniacs, Sea to Sky, the Roof)

flatout111

Forum Member
Reaction score
So I know all 3 use GPS routing but in addition to GPS the tracks are marked as well correct? I've only watched these events on my massive hard enduro DVD collection, Red Bull TV and other sources. So it's a bit confusing. I know these don't do a follow the tape marking. Is it periodic flags on trees or painting on rocks, etc?

It's just a question I've always wandered about. I would love to get some detailed clarification. I've been a huge fan but just now getting into potentially riding some hard enduro. Hobby class, though. :)

Thanks.

Pastrami

Forum Member
Reaction score
Romanics is GPS but they have blue ribbons that you can follow but you need GPS . they also have marked sign boards marking gold silver bronze. at Romaniacs you hand in your gps every night and they check your route and if you missed a corner they call you back to discuss!!! hectic . they then re load and you pick it up at around 5 in the morning

Dean_E232

ClutchPump
Reaction score
Romanics is GPS but they have blue ribbons that you can follow but you need GPS . they also have marked sign boards marking gold silver bronze. at Romaniacs you hand in your gps every night and they check your route and if you missed a corner they call you back to discuss!!! hectic . they then re load and you pick it up at around 5 in the morning
they should do this at a few of our local races

Mark800XC

Old and Slow
Staff member
Reaction score
In my experience of The Roof the tracks have normally been so well marked that you could get away without a GPS, if you really had to. Not that you would but you would manage without one if you weren't going for a win.

flatout111

Forum Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. Thanks. I've seen the blue ribbons in Romaniacs but I swear I've never seen marking in the Roof dvds other than painted rocks. Red Bull TV should do a segment on navigating these tracks. Would be informative.

Mark800XC

Old and Slow
Staff member
Reaction score
Gotcha. Thanks. I've seen the blue ribbons in Romaniacs but I swear I've never seen marking in the Roof dvds other than painted rocks. Red Bull TV should do a segment on navigating these tracks. Would be informative.
Painted Rocks are exactly what I'm talking about.

Pom17

I like trying to get my 4T to lift the front. Soon
Reaction score
If you not running at the front you dont even need a GPS. 200 bikes leave quite a distinct track :icon_lol:

RyanI

Forum Member
Reaction score
My experience involves 3 Madalas events and 1 Man and Machine last week. At the Madalas events which are GPS only, Gary seems to still do a lot of marking of rocks etc. You could almost do it by following wheel tracks and the marked rocks and other riders. You will still get lost a few times though.

At my first Man and Machine , I was surprised to see absolutely no marking whatsoever. There were also many many instances where you turn off the obvious track to randomly go through the veld to hook up with another track somewhere else - even when there are many wheel tracks going in the wrong direction. This to me was true GPS navigation and was a lot of fun. Also on the second day there was a very fast guy riding with us who was clearly very good on a bike but kak at navigating. He would fly past us, only to take wrong tracks, turn around and then fly past us again. This must have happened 10 times and was quite funny actually.

I really enjoyed the GPS navigation aspect of it.

I have no experience with the events you list though so can only talk about my world.

In November I am planning to do a Lowveld Enduro which I believe is a mix of GPS and marked so that should be interesting.

J37

Forum Member
Reaction score
My experience involves 3 Madalas events and 1 Man and Machine last week. At the Madalas events which are GPS only, Gary seems to still do a lot of marking of rocks etc. You could almost do it by following wheel tracks and the marked rocks and other riders. You will still get lost a few times though.

At my first Man and Machine , I was surprised to see absolutely no marking whatsoever. There were also many many instances where you turn off the obvious track to randomly go through the veld to hook up with another track somewhere else - even when there are many wheel tracks going in the wrong direction. This to me was true GPS navigation and was a lot of fun. Also on the second day there was a very fast guy riding with us who was clearly very good on a bike but kak at navigating. He would fly past us, only to take wrong tracks, turn around and then fly past us again. This must have happened 10 times and was quite funny actually.

I have no experience with the events you list though so can only talk about my world.

In November I am planning to do a Lowveld Enduro which I believe is a mix of GPS and marked so that should be interesting.
Lowvelds are marked pretty well. Due to the race having laps, rather then one route for the entire day (like M&M) - After lap 1, you'll barely need to check your GPS for the rest of the race.

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
If you not running at the front you dont even need a GPS. 200 bikes leave quite a distinct track :icon_lol:
In some cases not much depending on the terrain. At M&M guys, including myself still get a bit lost now and then, even with a GPS:icon_lol:

Mark800XC

Old and Slow
Staff member
Reaction score

Probably FSU!!!

fubar

Forum Member
Reaction score
At Romaniacs you have to make sure you follow the GPS route, AND that your GPS is tracking your route, if not, or if you loose your GPS you will be penalised, when they check your tracks, or if you can't prove that you were on the track. They also give you a sealed map each day that is for use in emergencies only, if you need to find the quickest route out of the wilds, each day you hand it back and if it is not sealed your race is over.