Riding Tools & Essentials

Bush Wacker

Forum Member
Reaction score
Even on longer multi day events like roof?

Also carry fuckal for short sprint races or social rides.
Yeah mostly, might add some epoxy and a wet wipe for impi..if i remember to pack it

DangerDave

NotSoDangerous, Dave!
Reaction score
Fuck that shit, if you rock up at a ride and just expect others to carry tools for you and lend you tools. I will feel fuckall watching you push a bike home, in fact I will ride slowly behind you and laugh the whole way.
I had a guy rock up at a cycle with no spares or CO2 bombs, he got a puncture and used mine, 20km later I got a puncture and ended up running 10km back to the car park pushing my bike because my spares were all used on him while he carried on to enjoy the rest of the ride.

If you check before hand and others offer for you to use their tools and spares if need be then no worries, but just don't think you are entitled to them or expect them.
If you have the basic tools someone will likely step in and fix it for you even...

Phatjack

Forum Member
Reaction score
Davey, calmeer bra. You know we helped you out in the past. I do in fact actually carry my KTM tool bag.

Novice

Forum Member
Reaction score
My bum bag is 8kgs heavy, I carry everything I need ...... and the dishwashers spares too.

J37

Forum Member
Reaction score
Thats the way, always make sure you ride with guys like Dillan, Jono and Rob Moore. They may even have a lathe and grinder on hand...
Nothing like machining a new bolt mid ride.

Tombstone

The Old Ballie
Reaction score
Fuck that shit, if you rock up at a ride and just expect others to carry tools for you and lend you tools. I will feel fuckall watching you push a bike home, in fact I will ride slowly behind you and laugh the whole way.
I had a guy rock up at a cycle with no spares or CO2 bombs, he got a puncture and used mine, 20km later I got a puncture and ended up running 10km back to the car park pushing my bike because my spares were all used on him while he carried on to enjoy the rest of the ride.

If you check before hand and others offer for you to use their tools and spares if need be then no worries, but just don't think you are entitled to them or expect them.
If you have the basic tools someone will likely step in and fix it for you even...
Our crew/s are much friendlier....

swazi_matt

Forum Member
Reaction score
Something none of you Ktm guys have mentioned is a means to remove the swing arm bolt. In my experience any time to manage to knock a chain off it gets jammed in between the swingarm and front sprocket. The easiest and quickest way to sort it out is to remove the swingarm bolt.
(I have a buddy who swears the only reason Kirsten beat him at the roof was because he was busy trying to put his chain back :icon_lol:)
Best is to machine the back of a socket to the same size/shape as your rear axle nut then you can use the ktm tool and only carry an additional (machined) socket

DenDirtbiker

I fall off a lot
Reaction score
Something none of you Ktm guys have mentioned is a means to remove the swing arm bolt. In my experience any time to manage to knock a chain off it gets jammed in between the swingarm and front sprocket. The easiest and quickest way to sort it out is to remove the swingarm bolt.
(I have a buddy who swears the only reason Kirsten beat him at the roof was because he was busy trying to put his chain back :icon_lol:)
Best is to machine the back of a socket to the same size/shape as your rear axle nut then you can use the ktm tool and only carry an additional (machined) socket

Iggz helped me out at Tussen Koppies with this same issue. He has a socket welded onto the back of his shifting spanner. Worked like a charm.

NUMSCH

Former Duchess of Fourways
Reaction score
I have never had to remove the swing arm bolt for a jammed chain. You just need someone to pull the back wheel while another guy seat bounces the bike up and down! Works like a charm, every time.

Mitch

Forum Member
Reaction score
I have never had to remove the swing arm bolt for a jammed chain. You just need someone to pull the back wheel while another guy seat bounces the bike up and down! Works like a charm, every time.
...or use a smaller front sprocket.